Old October 8th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Looking for BEST place to buy caps / parts for boatanchors

Good morning... Looking for the BEST place to mail-order replacement caps
and other components for restoring boat anchors.

I did the deja and google searches and got the usual hundreds of thousands
of hits, now I'd like to know what you guys consider the best place to
deal with mail order.

Current project is a DX-40 and I need some 40-uf 450-V electrolytics and
replacements for a few misc. paper caps.

Radio Shack has nothing, as usual.

I suppose ordering two electrolytic capacitors and two paper cap
replacements will be a losing proposition because they'll raid me for more
on shipping and handling charges than the caps are worth, but if there is
anyone out there who's reasonable on that kind of stuff I'd appreciate
hearing about them.

I suppose if I'm going to get into this boat anchor stuff I should buy an
assortment of caps and other parts... any suggestions there?

Old October 8th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Oct 8, 8:37 am, "Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)"
wrote:
Good morning... Looking for the BEST place to mail-order replacement caps
and other components for restoring boat anchors.

You really can't go wrong with either mouser.com or digikey.com
Otherwise, you'd really have to define your definition of BEST.

Old October 8th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:29:56 -0700, observer wrote:

You really can't go wrong with either mouser.com or digikey.com
Otherwise, you'd really have to define your definition of BEST.

Good afternoon, observer.

Well, of course "best" is subjective, but I'd like to hear people's own
personal favorites based on their own definition of "best".

I consider "best" in terms of good inventory, reasonable prices, and
reasonable shipping and handling fees. I especially don't like paying
more in shipping and 'handling" fees than I pay for the merchandise.

I have dealt with Digikey in the past and always found them a bit pricey
but with good inventory and good response. Haven't tried Mouser yet...
will give them a shot.

Thanks...

Old October 8th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
[...]

Digikey and Mouser are good, if you don't mind wading through their
catalogs carefully to figure out which modern components are just right
for you.

Antique Radio Supply (www.tubesandmore.com) has a selection of
high-voltage new capacitors (including some low-end audiophool stuff, so
watch that price column!). They also have some specialty reproduction
electrolytic capacitors if you want to retain the right look to your
chassis -- this is a 'don't care' for functionality, but if you're doing
something with an open back you may want to let people see that aluminum
can sticking up instead of some ugly blue thing.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old October 8th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
Good morning... Looking for the BEST place to mail-order replacement caps
and other components for restoring boat anchors.

Quite simply..... Mouser. I've tried the others, from time to time, and
always return to Mouser. They have what I need and I have not been
disappointed with items not being in stock. As an aside, the price of
can electrolytics from Antique are... well, let's just say overly
expensive for what you get. I simply put small tubulars underneath the
chassis and be done with it. de K3HVG

Old October 9th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:29:56 -0700, observer wrote:

You really can't go wrong with either mouser.com or digikey.com

No joy... neither of them has any 40-uf 450-volt electrolytics in stock.
Both of them say mid-December which usually means "at the earliest".

I know I can build what I need out of different values in series-parallel
but I'd rather save that as a last resort.

I also tried searching for values from 20 uf up to 80 uf at 450 to 600
volts and no luck.

Old October 9th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:03:59 -0400, K3HVG wrote:

Quite simply..... Mouser. I've tried the others, from time to time, and
always return to Mouser. They have what I need and I have not been
disappointed with items not being in stock.

Yeah, unfortunately not this time... no stock on anything from 20 to 50 uf
and 450 to 600 volts. Best guess on delivery is mid December, which
almost always means "at the earliest".

As an aside, the price of
can electrolytics from Antique are... well, let's just say overly
expensive for what you get. I simply put small tubulars underneath the
chassis and be done with it. de K3HVG

In this case the small axial-lead tubulars is what I need.

Old October 9th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:03:59 -0400, K3HVG wrote:

As an aside, the price of
can electrolytics from Antique are... well, let's just say overly
expensive for what you get.

Their tubular axial leads aren't bad, though... I just found some 47-uf
450-volt axials for $2.81 each vs. $10 - $16 for Mouser and Digikey (the
ones of which they have no stock).

Old October 9th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

http://www.justradios.com/ has what you're looking for (40/450 axial). I
have used them before -- speedy service, reasonable prices, good people all
around.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old October 9th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

news

www.radiodaze.com

www.justradios.com