Old March 4th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default hallicrafters sx-146 and ht-146

Hello,

I've got these two units, they need a good amount of servicing I
think. Since these are the first all-tube sets I own, I wanted to ask
about info that might not be present on the manuals (I have both
manuals too).
What kind of microphone is suitable for the ht-46? I read high
impedance but isn't clear to me where to obtain one.

Thanks in advance

Francesco IZ8DWF
Old March 4th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

ha scritto nel messaggio
Hello,

I've got these two units, they need a good amount of servicing I
think. Since these are the first all-tube sets I own, I wanted to ask
about info that might not be present on the manuals (I have both
manuals too).
What kind of microphone is suitable for the ht-46? I read high
impedance but isn't clear to me where to obtain one.

Thanks in advance

Francesco IZ8DWF

I have an HT-46 / SX-146 line since 1965. It was my very first SSB rig. It still
use it from time to time, just to relive the good old days emotions.

Any piezoelectric microphone would do. Or a dynamic microphone with a
high-impedance output, e.g. the Shure 444.

Most modern microphones (Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, etc.) instead only have a
low-impedance output and do not then produce enough voltage for the HT-46.
However they may be adapted using a low-to-high impedance audio transformer.

Anther solution would be to use a pre-amplified microphone (Shure, Turner) that
would certainly produce enough voltage for the hungry HT-46 mouth.

73

Tony I0JX

Old March 6th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

For distinctive looks, you can't beat the Astatic D-104. It was probably the
most-used microphone of those times, and there are enough of them around so
the price has not inflated beyond reason.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1161

--afcsman W9NPI

As a matter of fact I am just using a Silver Eagle microphone (deluxe version of
the D-104) in conjunction with my HT-46 / SX-146. However, I did not suggest
that microphone as I tought it is more appropriate for a rig older than the
HT-46 / SX-146, but I may be wrong.

73

Tony I0JX

Old March 7th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Antonio Vernucci" ) writes:
For distinctive looks, you can't beat the Astatic D-104. It was probably the
most-used microphone of those times, and there are enough of them around so
the price has not inflated beyond reason.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1161

--afcsman W9NPI

As a matter of fact I am just using a Silver Eagle microphone (deluxe version of
the D-104) in conjunction with my HT-46 / SX-146. However, I did not suggest
that microphone as I tought it is more appropriate for a rig older than the
HT-46 / SX-146, but I may be wrong.

The D104 had a really long run, though I suspect somewhere along the
way its casing was all that connected it with the microphone of
decades before. You could still buy them new in the CB era thirty
years ago, and for some reason they did seem popular there.

Someone who had one wasn't likely to dump it when they got a new rig.
Hence even if Astatic had stopped making them decades ago, there likely
were people who used those Hallicrafter rigs with D104's back then.

Michael VE2BVW