Old January 2nd 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hallicrafters S-20R help needed

After getting into the thing I find the dial was
restrung wrong. I can't find any instructions for
re-stringing anywhere. Its _not_ the same as the S-40 and
similar receivers. For instance, there is an extra idler
pulley next to the band spread main pulley (on the
capacitor). Plus, the string must be locked on the middle
idler and I would like to know the official method for doing
this.

I have an original instruction book (the same as the
one on BAMA) but it simply does not have restringing
information and I can't find any other editions on line.

BTW, I would still like to find an original speaker or
an S-40 series or similar speaker with the correct
transformer on it. The one on the RX works but it has a 2500
ohm primary, right for a 50L6 but not for a 6F6 or 6V6,
which want about 7K.

Also, can anyone tell me how the original speaker
mounting worked? It was an elastic isolation method. This
RX still has rubber washers on the mounting screws but I
think the original method was to clamp the speaker and the
clamps are gone. Probably not hard to make If you know what
they look like.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old January 4th 09, 08:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
After getting into the thing I find the dial was
restrung wrong. I can't find any instructions for
re-stringing anywhere. Its _not_ the same as the S-40 and
similar receivers. For instance, there is an extra idler
pulley next to the band spread main pulley (on the
capacitor). Plus, the string must be locked on the middle
idler and I would like to know the official method for
doing
this.

Thanks to Phil Nelson I got some info on the
restringing and a good source of dial cord. Phil also
answered my question about speaker mounting.
The material he recommends is braided Dacron fishing
line. This is available at any sports supply store, I got
some at a Big 5. Not expensive and works like a charm.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL