Old January 11th 09, 10:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default LS-3 speaker

I would like to restore the original connections of an LS-3 army louspeaker that
I had modified many years ago, but I am unable to find the connection diagram on
google.

Inside the speaker there is a high-to-low impedance transformer, but I am not
sure whether both the low- and the high-impedance connections were brought to
the exterior. Also, I am not sure on whether one of both transformer windings
were connected to ground.

Can any one please let me know the original connections of the input
three-contact jack?

Thanks & 73

Tony I0JX

Old January 11th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Antonio Vernucci wrote:
I would like to restore the original connections of an LS-3 army
louspeaker that I had modified many years ago, but I am unable to find
the connection diagram on google.

Inside the speaker there is a high-to-low impedance transformer, but I
am not sure whether both the low- and the high-impedance connections
were brought to the exterior. Also, I am not sure on whether one of both
transformer windings were connected to ground.

Can any one please let me know the original connections of the input
three-contact jack?

Thanks & 73

Tony I0JX

The connector used is the 3-pin military mic connector, same as on the
front panel of the BC-312 and '342. The high impedance side (only) of
the transformer goes to the tip and ground. The low impedance speaker
winding goes to the voice coil taps, only. I have come across a few
LS-3's that used tip and ring but don't believe that's correct. Reason
is, the LS-3 was designed for the above receivers and BC-312 receiver
(only) has DC (filament) voltage on the ring connection. WA5CAB may
have add'l info as he sells new LS-3s. Hope this assists you.

de K3HVG

Old January 11th 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Thanks Jeep.

even though it may not matter much, do you know whether the voice coil is
grounded on one side?

Old January 11th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Antonio Vernucci wrote:
Thanks Jeep.

even though it may not matter much, do you know whether the voice coil
is grounded on one side?

73

Tony I0JX

Tony, I looked inside a new one, just out of the original box. NO
speaker connections are connected to ground.

Old January 11th 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Old January 12th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

----- Original Message ----- From: "K3HVG"
Old January 12th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Tony, From various reports, use of the dynamotor may well be better than a.c.
supplies in that the dynamotor MAY provide better regulation than external
supplies. If your a.c. supply is stiff and capable of not sagging under voice
peaks, etc. it will be just fine. Personally, I use one with a pair of 6336B
regulators. That really helps the residual FMing of the signal. Also, try
the "San Luis Obispo" fine tuning procedure for the frequency you intend to
use the most. That will also quiet things down a bit.

Regards Jeep/K3HVG

OK Jeep, thanks for your advice.

I would not like to build a stabilized power supply, as that would be quite a
huge machine. Anyway I shall give a look to the diagram and see whether there
would be any simple way to feed just the oscillator tube with a separate
stabilized HV.

With regard to voice peaks, using big output capacitor should help.

I am more worried about CW because, even with a big output capacitor, voltage
will tend to decrease along the duration of a dash or a dot, and this may cause
chirp.

Going back to my original question, the first test I shall do is to feed the
filaments with a transformer, while keeping the dynamotor for the HV. I want to
be sure that powering filaments on AC (instead of DC) does not cause an
unacceptable hum on the audio.

By the way, I have been looking for a spare VT-25 (10Y) tube, but I could not
find one for less than $70. Apparently that tube is one of those that had the
disgrace to fall into the esoteric hi-fi aficionados circuit, who are prepared
to pay almost any price for the promise of a "warmer" sound.

73

Tony I0JX

Old January 12th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Antonio Vernucci wrote:

I would not like to build a stabilized power supply, as that would be quite a
huge machine. Anyway I shall give a look to the diagram and see whether there
would be any simple way to feed just the oscillator tube with a separate
stabilized HV.

I know it seems like cheating.... but... consider a zener and TIP50 darlington.
--scott

AS NEW JRC NVA-319 Speaker FS Charlie Hugg Shortwave 1 September 23rd 08 07:25 AM
speaker Rich Swap 2 April 22nd 08 10:24 PM
1949 JENSEN SPEAKER Duplex Speaker [email protected] Swap 0 August 22nd 05 02:32 AM
FA: BC-348 and Speaker, Johnson Adventurer, Hallicrafters R-46 Speaker [email protected] Boatanchors 0 June 19th 05 02:55 AM