Old June 7th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default FS: Hoffman RT159A

I've a Hoffman RT-159A / URC-4 for sale.

Pics of this type of unit he

http://www.eetindia.co.in/ART_880055...A_87563c7c.HTM

This is an emergency tx/rx designed to work on the VHF and UHF emergency
frequencies. The sort of thing which a "downed" pilot work use to contact
SAR aircraft.

It has telescopic antennas which extend and "fold out" to form a T shaped
dipole.

Buttons etc. move OK, as does the antenna.

Unit only- no battery module.

Cosmetic Condition is fair- paint is a bit scratched etc but internals are
clean and seem "untouched". Circuit is printed inside cover. Not the sort
of thing you can test so I can't be sure if it works. Really a collectors
item, rather than something to use.

Offers please, plus postage at cost (I'd imagine £10+ to post but I may be
able to get it into your area (UK) for you to collect if you aren't in a
hurry for it! UK only please- this item is quite heavy.

Email address on my website.

--
73
Brian G8OSN/W8OSN

Old June 8th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hoffman RT159A

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
I've a Hoffman RT-159A / URC-4 for sale.

Pics of this type of unit he

http://www.eetindia.co.in/ART_880055...A_87563c7c.HTM

This is an emergency tx/rx designed to work on the VHF and UHF
emergency frequencies. The sort of thing which a "downed" pilot work
use to contact SAR aircraft.

It has telescopic antennas which extend and "fold out" to form a T
shaped dipole.

You might find far more information on these units by the full
designation URC-4 or more properly the RT-159A/URC-4. The battery
supplied 1.5 volts and 90 volts. It was a mercury battery and it
was to be carried INSIDE the airman's jacket to keep it warm and
operable. The batteries and rubber cables are rather rare these
days. I have several of the radios, two batteries, and 2 cables
back at my home in Tennessee, along with two original manuals. The
tubes are "peanut" tubes and not pencil tubes. The latter name was
reserved for RCA's line of microwave planar triodes and diodes.
These radios were easy to convert to 2-meters which was discussed in
the third edition of Surplus Conversion Manual. The telescoping
elements of the antenna were to be fully extended on 121.5 MHz and
fully collapsed on 243 MHz.

--
73, Dr. Barry L. Ornitz WA4VZQ

Old June 8th 09, 06:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Dr. Barry L. Ornitz" wrote in message
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for the further information.

--
73
Brian G8OSN/W8OSN

RIP Albert Hoffman dave Shortwave 1 April 30th 08 01:38 PM
Hoffman Estates and Streamwood Illinois radio frequencies [email protected] Scanner 1 December 15th 03 02:04 AM
FA Hoffman tube Radio Nice AHoudini Swap 0 November 9th 03 12:03 AM