Old September 22nd 03, 09:57 PM
Ric

ie is what i use

"David Stinson" wrote in message
Which browser do you use: Netscape, IE, or ?

Ric wrote:

can you explain how to do that.

I had to completely re-write my email filters.
Got rid of about 90% of it, more as I "tweek" them.

Old September 23rd 03, 01:26 AM
David Stinson

Ric wrote:

ie is what i use

That would mean you're using Outlook Express.
Unfortunately, I don't know how the filters on Outlook are
set up. Can someone who uses OE help him out?

Old September 23rd 03, 01:46 AM
jakdedert

Sure....

Click on 'tools,' 'message rules,' click the mail (or 'news,' to set similar
rules for the news client) tab and set up your rules there. You can set
parameters for the sender, the subject and the recipient. You then have
twelve different actions to choose from if the post meets the criteria. The
'options' button allows you to further modify the rule.

FWIW; so far I've got a dozen senders, at least that many subject lines and
even more recipients listed to block this mess. Between all that, AND
BellSouths 'MailGuard' feature--which belatedly set up a spam-block on many
of the criteria I used (presumably)--I'm still getting several a day.

It'll die down soon...I hope.

jak

jak

Old September 23rd 03, 04:33 AM
Leo

Sure can - this is from my ISP's tech tips page:

Use the following instructions to block a sender in Outlook Express 5.

- In your Inbox, highlight the message from the sender you want to
block.
- From the "Message" menu, choose the "Block sender" command.
Click "Yes"

You can also filter out junk mail that contains commonly used words
and phrases like "lose weight" or "buy now" in the subject line by
creating message rules.

Use the following instructions to filter messages in Outlook Express
5:

- From the Tools menu, choose Message Rules and then choose Mail. If
you have already specified a Message Rule, the Message Rules dialog
box appears. If this is your first time specifying Message Rules, the
New Mail Rule dialog box appears.
- Select the conditions for your rule. In this case you would select
"Where the subject line contains specific words" option.
- Select the action you want Outlook Express to perform. In this case
you would select "Delete it."
- Click the underlined text in the Rule Description area to specify
more details on your choices. This allows you to input the junk mail
phrases you want Outlook to screen.
- Click "Add", then "OK"
- Type a name for the Message Rule and then hit "OK".

73, Leo

Old September 25th 03, 12:11 AM
Wayne

My ISP offers a virus protection and spam prevention service known as
Postini. This scans all your incoming email for viruses and spam and
quarantines them on their server. The virus carrying messages never
reach your machine. You just check the quarantine file on the isp
server from time to time to see what they have trapped. This allows you
to dump them or transfer to your inbox (for messages caught by the spam
filter that weren't really spam). Really a pretty neat system. Fully
customizable for any level of protection you want. My isp only charges
$1/month for it. Check with your ISP or check out
http://www.postini.com/ . I don't have any connection with them, just a
happy user.

Wayne, KEØBZ