Old October 23rd 03, 05:33 PM
KeyBoard In The Wilderness

This has been discussed many many times before.

To see hundreds of replies -- go to URL: http://groups.google.com/

Type in Cantenna

Get over 1000 posts !!!

--
73 From The KeyBoard In The Wilderness
==========================
"ham" wrote in message
Around 1957 I went to the Southern California Edison yard in the

industrial area
of Santa Barbara.

In the office I paid a couple a dollar or so for a gallon of transformer

oil and
took my gallon can and followed one of the men outside to a 55 gallon

drum. The
whole area was oily, dirty and looked like it'd been used for years. Some

areas
of the ground looked as though they'd been paved with oil. We opened the

valve
on the can and filled the can. Then we both wiped the spills and splashes

on
our hands and the drips on the can off using a very oily rag.

When I got back to my 1947 Chevy I put it on an old rag in the trunk of

the car
in a cardboard box so it wouldn't tip over. I wiped my oily shoes on the

dirt
at the edge of the road so I wouldn't get too much oil on the rubber floor

mats.

When I got home I poured the oil into the Heathkit Cantenna can and had

some
left over. A few years later I poured out the remnants from the can onto

the
ground in the area where our oil drain pans were inverted to get the gunk

out of
them and threw the can in the garbage.

In following years I put the dummy load on the floor under the operating

desk in
a pie tin to keep any seepage from getting on the carpet and floor. I

wiped it
off several times over the years with paper towels.

Since all my fingers have fallen off - I'm typing with my toes - and now

need to
wear glasses and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be.

Do you think this is a result of coming in contact with PCB?

Ed Price wrote:

" hillbilly3302" wrote in message
I have an old Heathkit Cantenna dummy load. how can I tell what its

filled
with, Transformer oil (pcb's) or Mineral oil... sounds silly but it

just
started leaking and I have oil all over the work bench... I went to a

paint
store and got another gallon can and that took care of the leak. hi ,

but
it was about half empty.

k5drc

Old October 23rd 03, 05:52 PM
Mike Andrews

ham wrote:

[snip tale of filling a cantenna at a transformer maintenance yard]

In following years I put the dummy load on the floor under the operating desk in
a pie tin to keep any seepage from getting on the carpet and floor. I wiped it
off several times over the years with paper towels.

Since all my fingers have fallen off - I'm typing with my toes - and now need to
wear glasses and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be.

Do you think this is a result of coming in contact with PCB?

No. If it had been PCBs, you'd have _extra_ arms, legs, fingers, toes,
head, and so on.

Dunno what it is, though. Maybe if you'd stuck with firebottle stuff,
you'd be OK, and not have to deal with the residual chemicals from all
that sand-state stuff.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin

Old October 23rd 03, 06:20 PM
Phil Witt

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:27:31 GMT, ham wrote:

Since all my fingers have fallen off - I'm typing with my toes - and now need to
wear glasses and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be.

Do you think this is a result of coming in contact with PCB?

No question about it. I can't see nearly as well as I could 50-60
years ago. I wonder who I can sue for that.

Old October 23rd 03, 08:04 PM
--exray--

Phil Witt wrote:

No question about it. I can't see nearly as well as I could 50-60
years ago. I wonder who I can sue for that.

It has been proven that long-term exposure to ANYTHING can kill you.
Even fresh air. So far nobody has survived lengthy exposure to it.

-Bill

Old October 23rd 03, 08:17 PM
hillbilly3302

Gee, I sure am glad I asked this question, haven't learned anything but
had some good laughs, hi.... this could make a good movie!

k5drc

Old October 23rd 03, 08:17 PM
hillbilly3302

Old October 24th 03, 09:44 AM
Ed Price

"ham" wrote in message
[...]

For a few years, I worked at a company which made a line of oil impregnated
paper dielectric capacitors. The impregnating vats were about 3 feet in
diameter and about 2 feet deep. Capacitors would be loaded on a rack, the
vat sealed, and the rack lowered into a pool of PCB (Arochlor). After about
a 24 hour cycle, the vat would be opened. Many times, a few capacitors would
have tumbled out of position, and you had to reach your arm down into the
Arochlor to unjam the rack and fish out the stray capacitors.

This was back in the days when PCB's were good, DDT was man's best friend,
dioxin hadn't been heard of and you could survive a nearby 10 megaton blast
by a quick duck & cover. Actually, I think bobbing for capacitors under
PCB's was what has protected me from any damage from high-power RF fields
all these years.

Ed
WB6WSN