Old October 22nd 03, 09:23 PM
hillbilly3302

Default Cantenna

I have an old Heathkit Cantenna dummy load. how can I tell what its filled
with, Transformer oil (pcb's) or Mineral oil... sounds silly but it just
started leaking and I have oil all over the work bench... I went to a paint
store and got another gallon can and that took care of the leak. hi , but
it was about half empty.

k5drc

Old October 22nd 03, 10:14 PM
Chuck Harris

Mineral oil is the usual fare. The Cantenna came without any,
and instructed you to go to the drugstore for a gallon of
mineral oil.

Transformer oil usually smells very "electrical", mineral oil
is mostly odorless.

-Chuck

PJ wrote:
If you start feeling weird, develop cancer, or grow any extra
protuberances -- it could have been pcb.

Old October 22nd 03, 11:01 PM
Gregg

Having the misfortune of owning several leaky PCB filled capacitors, PCB
smells almost "mediciney-old-radio" thing.

Having the good fortune to have used/refilled/made several Cantenna's, I
have yet to come across one filled with PCB. A friend did put me on to
Shell Turbine Oil for them as much better than mineral oil ;-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

Old October 22nd 03, 11:47 PM
David G. Nagel

Back in the early days when PCB's were the cause celebre I asked the
local REMC to analyze the oil from my Cantenna. The results came back to
the effect that "We don't know what this stuff is but it's not PCB".
The Cantenna sits in my closet patiently awaiting it's next call to service.
Check with your local power company repair center to see if they have a
gallon of transformer oil available. Don't call the billing office. They
won't have any idea what you are talking about.

Dave WD9BDZ