Old October 25th 03, 02:33 PM
David Toepfer

Default Requesting Your Opinion on Boatanchors for AM work

In the future I would like to set up an AM station for the low bands
(just 160m, 80m, and 40m) and am doing some research as to what
equipment I should be looking for. I am looking to choose a good
quality Receiver and Transmitter to start with and stay with. I don't
have the space for a BoatAnchor collention right now, but would like
to set myself up with a station with nice hi-quality audio for AM
work. I am not looking to DX with them or contest with them. Just
looking to do some high quality domestic AM work.

To start I am looking for a good receiver, preferably with really good
fidelity for AM. From what I have been reading everywhere it seems
that the

Hallicrafters SX-28

is the receiver to have if you are looking for good sound. People say
it has good frequency stability. I was wondering how you would
compare it on these points as well as selectivity and sensitivity with
these other receivers which seem to be quite fine as well:

Collins R-390
Collins 51J-4
Collins 75A-4

Hammarlund SP-600

Or does anyone have any others to suggest as well?

Also, I am completely in the dark as far as transmitters go for the
same kind of work. I am likewise looking for good high fidelity witr
good frequency stability AM. But I don't know where to go (or is
building your own rack the best way to go for this kind of work?)

The transmitter I have come across for hi-fidelity AM work seems to be
the

Johnson Ranger and
Johnson Ranger II (not sure what is the difference between them)

Or is the Valiant or Viking better?
But I am sure there are others out there as well.

Any help with suggesting a good kW linear that would preserve a
hi-fidelity signal would be appreciated as well.

Are there any other things I should be considering as well that I have
missed asking because of my relative newness to this area?

This is a long term project and I am just in the information gathering
phases right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

73

dt
..

Best Home Base Work Reynard Antenna 0 November 9th 04 07:11 PM
Should this design work? Michel Antenna 1 January 9th 04 12:42 PM
R/S Solderless BNC Connectors: How Can They Possibly Work Well ? Robert11 Antenna 10 November 22nd 03 11:46 PM
Requesting Your Opinion on Boatanchors for AM work David Toepfer Boatanchors 28 October 30th 03 06:44 AM
Free Boatanchors Jerry W. O'Dell Boatanchors 1 July 21st 03 12:12 PM