Old November 17th 03, 05:41 PM
Robert11

Default R/S Solderless BNC Connectors: How Can They Possibly Work Well ?

Hello:

Went to R/S today to pick up some BNC connectors to make a short coax patch
wire.

Was somewhat surprised to see that they only carry, now, the "screw-on"
variety.
No more soldered ones.

Apparently you insert the stripped end of the coax into the connector, and
twist a portion of the rear
of the connector barrel which clamps the braid.
My guess is that this probably is OK for the braid, but I can't imagine how
it connects, relaiably, to the center pin.

Looking at it in the package, it seems the coax wire just pokes into the
center pin, and that's that.
Maybe they expect gravity to make a contact.

Seems like this would make a really poor connector, but perhaps I'm too old
fashioned in thinking that
the only good contact is a soldered one.

Am I missing anything here ?

Do they actually work ?
Work good enough for a receiver's coax run ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old November 17th 03, 08:16 PM
John Passaneau

Hi:
I like the crimp on BNC's myself but the solder kind are OK. The twist on RS
ones are probably OK in low frequency low power but I wouldn't trust them
myself. In fact, I wouldn't buy one except in desperation.
Your concerns are the same ones I have. As I can buy Amphonal crimp BNC's
for $1.85 each anywhere, I would invest $50 in a crimp tool and go that
route.

--
John Passaneau W3JXP
State College Pa

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.

Old November 20th 03, 03:26 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"John Passaneau" wrote in message
Hi:
I like the crimp on BNC's myself but the solder kind are OK. The twist on

RS
ones are probably OK in low frequency low power but I wouldn't trust them
myself. In fact, I wouldn't buy one except in desperation.
Your concerns are the same ones I have. As I can buy Amphonal crimp BNC's
for $1.85 each anywhere, I would invest $50 in a crimp tool and go that
route.

I also have serious doubts about the screw-on BNCs for anything but low
power
and low frequency - they may work moderately well for video, but I wouldn't
trust them for RF either.

WRT the crimped variety, the military uses them extensively and test data
seems
to clearly indicate that they are 1) easier to assemble correctly, given the
correct
strip lengths and crimping tool, and 2) if properly assembled they are at
least as
reliable as soldered BNCs and probably moreso.

I use crimp BNCs exclusively when I want BNC connectors.

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old November 20th 03, 10:02 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:26:46 -0000, "Carl R. Stevenson"
wrote:

I also have serious doubts about the screw-on BNCs for anything but low
power
and low frequency - they may work moderately well for video, but I wouldn't
trust them for RF either.

Hi Carl,

I've measured the properties of BNC/RG-58 out into the GHz and aside
from loss (easily referenced by numerous sources), there are no
surprises. If you trust them for Video, that makes them premium
choices as Video is far more demanding than RF (at least into the HF).
However, as terms, Video and RF are hardly distinctive except that
Video describes an implicit bandwidth and modulation (which
encompasses much of the HF) which is, of necessity, RF.

So, the choice is: do you use BNC for 100KHz-12MHz Video; or do you
use BNC for 100KHz - 1GHz RF? People only abandon BNC for small
geometry considerations: components too close together for breakdown
at high power at high frequency or too small for the currents
involved. Actually, most of those arguments are cable based. In
other words, if you don't trust BNC for any of a variety of reasons,
you are actually arguing against the use of the associated cable it
comfortably mates to. SO/PL are larger dimensionally, but beyond VHF
they are definitely inferior to the smaller BNC.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 20th 03, 11:48 PM
Ralph Mowery

[...]

Almost nothing from RS works very well . They do have some already built
things with a good reputaion but you have to be careful even then.

Old November 21st 03, 12:37 AM
JGBOYLES

Almost nothing from RS works very well .

That's a very general statement Ralph. I have bought electronic components and
various connectors from Radio Shack for 28 years and all worked. (works, works
well, or works very well, take your pick). I paid more for them, but that was
because they were the only place I could get the stuff I needed locally. I
have bought things from my local electronics supply house lately that didn't
work, and they are not open on weekends.
RS doesn't manufacture their components or connectors. They are reselling.
I for one am glad they do, they have saved me time and money persuing this
Hobby. As to whether the solderless BNC connector works, the RS one will work
as good or bad as OEM.
73 Gary N4AST
Old November 21st 03, 12:45 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

wrote:

[...]

Richard,

I know well that BNCs are good into the GHz range - if properly installed to
maintain impedance.

My reservation is not with BNCs, but with the screw-on variety, which I
don't trust.

Properly installed solder-on BNCs or crimped ones are fine. I prefer the
crimp ones myself as they are easier to install and at least as reliable as
the soldered ones.

I think you missed my point - I hope this clarifies.

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old November 21st 03, 01:07 PM
Ed Price

"JGBOYLES" wrote in message
[...]

Last time I went into my local Radio Shack, I found they didn't stock 50 ohm
coax anymore. Special order; yes. On the shelf; no.

Ed
wb6wsn

Old November 22nd 03, 12:55 AM
JGBOYLES

Last time I went into my local Radio Shack, I found they didn't stock 50 ohm
coax anymore.

Sad but true. From what I understand RS made nothing from their electronic
parts, did it as a favor to us experimenters. Must be same with coax now. How
much could they make on a 10 cent resistor pack?
I hope they keep the parts section open, but afraid it won't be much longer.
73 Gary N4AST
Old November 22nd 03, 09:37 PM
JDer8745

Shucks,