Old November 6th 03, 05:38 AM
--exray--

Default Hallicrafters SX-110 opinions?

G.Beat wrote:
"Christopher Tyle" wrote in message

Hi, I thinking of buying one of these older receivers. I wonder if anyone
out there might be able to give me any pros/cons.

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, eBay is constantly uncovering Hallicrafters receivers (this is a good
thing)
The SX-110 sold for $ 160 to $ 170 new (circa 1959).

Depends on what you are looking for. Its a medium-grade rig of its era.
Better than some, less than others. Single-conversion is a big
negative for a SW receiver but it has some other features.
If its your first SW tube radio you'll be happy. If its to sit next to
your 'main' rig, it could be disappointing, especially at this lull in
the sunspot cycle.
Maintenance-wise, I think this guy is from the era of the PINK
capacitors and could probably be routinely perked up by recapping and
realignment even though it may be "working" in its present state.
Price-wise I don't have a clue. Many vintage models suffer from
"nostalgic inflation" and the going price has no bearing on its worth.
I think realistically its a $100 radio if its in good shape but I
wouldn't be at all surprised if 150-200 was a more common going price.

-Bill

Old November 6th 03, 11:13 PM
Hagstar

--exray-- wrote:

Single-conversion is a big
negative for a SW receiver but it has some other features.

So, does that mean the single conversion SX-42 is not as good as the
double conversion SX-43 ?

John H.
Old November 6th 03, 11:37 PM
Dbowey

hagstar posted:
--exray-- wrote:

Single-conversion is a big
negative for a SW receiver but it has some other features.

So, does that mean the single conversion SX-42 is not as good as the
double conversion SX-43 ?

If all other features are the same (frequency coverage, type of detectors for
AM, SSB, CW, etc..........) then the receiver with double conversion is likely
the better choice. You need to consider all features and beat that against
what you intend to do with the receiver.

Don
Old November 6th 03, 11:45 PM
--exray--

Hagstar wrote:
--exray-- wrote:

Single-conversion is a big
negative for a SW receiver but it has some other features.

So, does that mean the single conversion SX-42 is not as good as the
double conversion SX-43 ?

John H.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't they both single conversion across the HF
bands? I think the 43 goes double conv (10.7 Mc 2nd IF) above 44 Mcs
and the SX-42 only uses the 10.7 on the FM band....or something like that.

-Bill

Old November 6th 03, 11:54 PM
Jeffrey D Angus

A lot of receivers of "that era" are single conversion 3.5-4.0 MHz
receivers with a "converter stage" ahead of them to move the "other"
bands down to 3.5-4.0 MHz.

Almost all of them have a 455 KHz IF strip.

Jeff

--exray-- wrote:

Hagstar wrote:

--exray-- wrote:

Single-conversion is a big
negative for a SW receiver but it has some other features.

So, does that mean the single conversion SX-42 is not as good as the
double conversion SX-43 ?

John H.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't they both single conversion across the HF
bands? I think the 43 goes double conv (10.7 Mc 2nd IF) above 44 Mcs
and the SX-42 only uses the 10.7 on the FM band....or something like that.

-Bill

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Tara Morice as Fran, from the movie "Strictly Ballroom"

Old November 7th 03, 12:07 AM
--exray--

Jeffrey D Angus wrote:
A lot of receivers of "that era" are single conversion 3.5-4.0 MHz
receivers with a "converter stage" ahead of them to move the "other"
bands down to 3.5-4.0 MHz.

But not the 42 or 43.

-Bill

Old November 7th 03, 12:13 AM
Frank Dresser

"--exray--" wrote in message
Jeffrey D Angus wrote:
A lot of receivers of "that era" are single conversion 3.5-4.0 MHz
receivers with a "converter stage" ahead of them to move the "other"
bands down to 3.5-4.0 MHz.

But not the 42 or 43.

-Bill

The 42/62 used two RF amps to reduce images.

Frank Dresser

Old November 7th 03, 05:51 PM
Mike Knudsen

In article , Hagstar writes:

So, does that mean the single conversion SX-42 is not as good as the
double conversion SX-43 ?

The SX-42 has a two-ganged RF section (two tubes) plus another capacitor gang
on the mixer. This cuts down on images, if properly aligned.

The '43 has only one RF stage, so the 42 might be better overall.

It has always bugged me, though, that Halli didn't use their first 10.7 MC IF
as a first IF for the higher SW bands on the 42. --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.
Old November 8th 03, 02:39 PM
Joel Levine and Barbara Pickell

You cannot generalize about single and double conversion. To simplify a
bit, the designer selects the IF as a trade off between image rejection and
selectivity. On double coversion sets the first wider IF provides the
required image rejection while the lower frequency 2nd IF provides improved
selectivity. However, you can also achieve improved selectivity with the
crystal filter. Since the SX110 has a crystal filter, the relevent question
is how effective is that filter.

Old November 21st 03, 09:49 PM
Dave Moorman

In article ,
"Joel Levine and Barbara Pickell" wrote:

You cannot generalize about single and double conversion. To simplify a
bit, the designer selects the IF as a trade off between image rejection and
selectivity. On double coversion sets the first wider IF provides the
required image rejection while the lower frequency 2nd IF provides improved
selectivity. However, you can also achieve improved selectivity with the
crystal filter. Since the SX110 has a crystal filter, the relevent question
is how effective is that filter.

The SX-110 is a step up from a 5-tube superhet. There is on RF stage, a
mixer/oscillator stage followed by the IF strip with 2 IF amps. There
is a xtal filter in the IF strip which will help with adjacent-signal
interference. The RF stage will help a bit with image rejection, but I
wouldn't expect it to be very good.

Dave