Old November 9th 03, 05:59 PM
Mike White

Default It's enough to make a grown ham weep...

Mike, N4PDY

Old November 9th 03, 06:16 PM
Chuck Harris

My, isn't that an ugly little thing! They should have used that really
cool vinyl contact paper, or maybe self stick wall paper.

A Glade "stick on" should have been placed on the top too, I think...
would help to give it that nice trailor trash look.

-Chuck, WA3UQV

Mike White wrote:

Mike, N4PDY

Old November 9th 03, 06:24 PM
N2EY

In article , "Mike White"
writes:

omigawd that's awful. Is that paint or contact paper?

I used to have an SX-99 - pretty decent considering its limitations. Paid $40
for it back about 1970....

(*sigh*)

Hope somebody buys it and cleans it up. I would but I've got too much of a tuit
deficit already.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old November 9th 03, 06:43 PM
Panzer240

"Mike White" wrote in
:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=4673&item=

3057984053

Mike, N4PDY

MAC TAC anyone? Man O' man that has got to be one of the tackiest things I
have seen in a long while. What were they thinking ??? With the heat
those things generate when they are on, that stuff has just gotta be baked
on by now. Prolly next to impossible to remove. I guess it's a candidate
for the sand blaster.

---
Panzer

Old November 9th 03, 07:08 PM
K5VSE

Wish I hadn't bought so much this week, as this looks like my kind of
challange. I do believe that whom ever did this was totally out of his mind.
And I thought I had seen it all in my 50 years as a ham.

73

--
Mike-K5VSE
Formerly WB6VSE, senior tech, amateur division, SBE/Linear Systems,

Old November 9th 03, 09:32 PM
Frank Dresser

"K5VSE" wrote in message
Wish I hadn't bought so much this week, as this looks like my kind of
challange. I do believe that whom ever did this was totally out of his

mind.
And I thought I had seen it all in my 50 years as a ham.

73

--
Mike-K5VSE
Formerly WB6VSE, senior tech, amateur division, SBE/Linear Systems,
Watsonville, CA
"Real Radios Glow in the Dark"
3.922 nightly

Sure, it's just some goofy paint/covering. No extra holes to fill and
it looks pretty clean inside, even the plating on the tuning capacitor
pulleys looks good.

Frank Dresser

Old November 10th 03, 07:45 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:32:54 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"K5VSE" wrote in message
Wish I hadn't bought so much this week, as this looks like my kind of
challange. I do believe that whom ever did this was totally out of his

mind.
And I thought I had seen it all in my 50 years as a ham.

73

--
Mike-K5VSE
Formerly WB6VSE, senior tech, amateur division, SBE/Linear Systems,
Watsonville, CA
"Real Radios Glow in the Dark"
3.922 nightly

Sure, it's just some goofy paint/covering. No extra holes to fill and
it looks pretty clean inside, even the plating on the tuning capacitor
pulleys looks good.

Look more closely at the area between the tuning dials. It appears to
be a solid rust cover. There are also paint strips at various points
on the chassis which "to me" appear to be covering corrosion.

"To me" it looks like something some one cleaned up inside. Remember
that photos can be deceiving, but this one may be for real. It's very
difficult to tell for sure.

It says it works. The dial cord broke. There is/was rust on the
chassis. Which make me wonder just how easy that tuning cap turns.

As to the finish. It's paint! It's the old "antiquing" paint that
applied with skill might look half way near to OK on an old piece of
furniture, but usually looks like crap even on a board.

Still, the last I saw it was at 30 some dollars and *should* go cheap.
Might make a good parts "hanger queen". Restoration looks like it'd
be a *lot* of work.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Frank Dresser

Old November 10th 03, 09:42 AM
Frank Dresser

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message

Look more closely at the area between the tuning dials. It appears to
be a solid rust cover. There are also paint strips at various points
on the chassis which "to me" appear to be covering corrosion.

I took that browish stain to be excess grease. Or maybe some of that
brown paint dripped there. But the rest of the chassis is very clean.
I can't imagine how the rest of it could be so clean, with a rusty area
right under the tuning shaft.

Anyway, if it's really rust, it would clean up pretty easily.

"To me" it looks like something some one cleaned up inside. Remember
that photos can be deceiving, but this one may be for real. It's very
difficult to tell for sure.

It still has the factory inkstamps on the chassis. The plating looks
bright. I'm sure it has been cleaned, but not agressively.

It says it works. The dial cord broke. There is/was rust on the
chassis. Which make me wonder just how easy that tuning cap turns.

It's at least 45 years old. Dial cords break. The dial cord on my
SX-99 broke in exactly the same way. If the new ones last as long as
the old ones, I'll be happy.

As to the finish. It's paint! It's the old "antiquing" paint that
applied with skill might look half way near to OK on an old piece of
furniture, but usually looks like crap even on a board.

That "antique" finish looks like crap everywhere. Paint stripper and
sandpaper takes it off. Cleaning up the silver painted area with the
lettering will take a bit more care, but it can be done. On the plus
side, the radio has correct, unbroken knobs with all of the knob
brights.

Still, the last I saw it was at 30 some dollars and *should* go cheap.
Might make a good parts "hanger queen". Restoration looks like it'd
be a *lot* of work.

Probably less than some of the radios I've done. If somebody enjoys the
process and the end result, it's not alot of work.

Old November 14th 03, 02:46 PM
NoNewsIsBadNews

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 17:59:55 GMT, "Mike White"

Mike, N4PDY

Ugh!! What an ugly paint job!

Old November 17th 03, 04:41 AM
Dave Ragsdale

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message

Look more closely at the area between the tuning dials. It appears to
be a solid rust cover. There are also paint strips at various points
on the chassis which "to me" appear to be covering corrosion.

No, the chassis is very clean and original. It's not been cleaned up at all
(see the original chassis ink stamps?)- that brown stain is grease dripped
off of the shaft above it.

Dave