Old December 2nd 03, 01:03 AM
AComarow

But one of the things I liked about the RME
was its one knob, one function design, with nice big knobs.

YES!

This is one feature that I always admired in the Collins 75A series.
Big, serious controls, nothing tiny or dainty.

I'm not much on
multifunction controls. I keep forgetting how to access the secondary and
tertiary functions and even what they are.

I agree 100%. I have incorporated that philosophy in all my homebrew
rigs, too.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim,

It's a philosophy, interestingly, that Grundig built into its Satellit 800
shortwave radio that hit the market a couple of years ago. It's one big sucker
of a radio, especially for a portable unit (more of a luggable than a portable
at 14+ pounds). Bucking the modern trend in shortwave radios most exemplified,
IMO, by the AOR 7030 (a stellar performer that I absolutely despise), the 800
follows the path you and I prefer: one knob, one function. Largish, easy to
grasp controls. And after Grundig worked out a few bugs, the 800 performs
extremely well for its sub-$500 price. If I didn't already have so much gear
crowding the shelves, I'd get one.

Avery W3AVE