Old January 15th 04, 12:57 AM
AComarow

Subject: SX-28 Scarce? I Don't Think so!!
From: "Brian Hill" brianehill@charterDOTnet
Date: 1/14/04 8:46 AM Eastern Standard Time

"AComarow" wrote in message

why not Hammarlund's more modern HQ-1XX series of receivers

(HQ-145, -170, and
-180)? The layout is pretty similar.

Avery W3AVE

I like them but why do they all have to look the same.

The only possible answer is that God intended all radios to look like that.
Either that or somewhere deep in the bowels of the engineering department, at
midnight Sunday with no engineers around, that design brutally eliminated the
competition, leaving no evidence but a few whiskers of pot metal and the
pungent aroma of burned insulation....

Avery W3AVE
Old January 15th 04, 01:04 AM
AComarow

From: NoSpam
Date: 1/14/04 5:07 AM Eastern Standard Time

A lot of radio guys are "spec" readers, 3rd order intercept,
fractional microvolt sensitivity, the more esoteric, the better they
like it.

The real world ain't a bunch of specs. It's how you use the tool,
not the size in mm.

The NC-270 had a nice look, a unique color scheme, that flywheel on
the tuning knob, and decent enough electronics.

I really appreciate BIG slide rule scales and smooth tuning knobs
with some heft to them.

I'm not saying that the '303 wasn't a great radio. It was.

I simply appreciate a radio with the scales in front of you. My
old SX-101A was a nice radio. It gives you a better feel for the
band layout than, say, an S-Line, HRO, or one of the new digital
boxes.

I like maps because I can see that "this" is close to "that". You
don't get that sense from a digital radio.

Anyway, these are all interesting and fun.

de ah6gi/4

I wholeheartedly agree with your conclusion. I'd also agree with you and your
friend regarding the "how you use the tool" case to be made for a radio that is
easy and intuitive to use. I think that accounts for much of the popularity of
Grundig's Satellit 800, a 15-pound "portable" that is remarkably
straightforward to play with--nice big display (digital, yes, but that makes
sense for shortwave), nice big knobs, one function per control. Good overall
performance, too.

Avery W3AVE