Old February 17th 04, 07:20 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default Sprague Tel-Ohmike TO-6 HELP?

A while ago I got an offer I couldn't refuse for my good TO-6, so I sold it
because I didn't need it at the time and I knew I could find another. Well
I found two that looked like they had been thru the mill, but for $10.00 for
the pair I took them. One works reasonably well, while the other has more
problems. I needed to test and reform some caps and saw differnt results on
each. After opening them up I could see both had been worked on by the
inept because of the poor solder joints. I touched those up but still had
problems. Luckily I found a copy of a copy of the manual. Several
resistors had been replaced with ones close in value, a 100K was used where
a 47K was indicated, a 1.8 megohm had a jumper across it and one 1200 ohm
resistor had dropped to 33 ohms! After replacing all of the qestionable
parts I could see that both units had different problems and so I started
tracing the circuits. In my manual copy the bottom view of the chassis has
two reisistors as R19 and I'm sure the left R19 is supposed to be R17.
There's also two resistors identified as R16. I'm relatively certain that
the upper R16 is correct at 25K. I'm not sure what the lower R16 is
supposed to be becasue in its place I have 15K in one unit and 75K in the
other, both appear to be inept replacments.
If someone with one of the TO-6s and a manual could take a look and tell
me if their manual has been correct, I'd like to know what the lower R16 is
supposed to be and what value.
tnx
hank wd5jfr

Old February 17th 04, 09:21 PM
Alan Douglas

Hank wrote:

If someone with one of the TO-6s and a manual could take a look and tell
me if their manual has been correct, I'd like to know what the lower R16 is
supposed to be and what value.

It's been a while, and I really don't want to open my TO-6 to look,
but this sounds very familiar. Always believe the instrument, when
the schematic differs.

73, Alan
Old February 17th 04, 10:39 PM
Henry Kolesnik

I understand not wanting to open the TO-6 but if I begged would you change
your mind. After just about giving up I was able to get the TO-6 and TO-6A
from BAMA and the "Bottom view of chassis" on page 14 is the same as my
manual,. two R16 and I need to know the value since both of mine are
different and I think both have been replaced with incorrect values.
tnx
73
hank wd5jfr

Old February 17th 04, 10:44 PM
Jeffrey D Angus

Well for what it's worth, I have a TO-6 in the shop, that's not too
far underneath everything else. I can probably take some pictures of
the innards.

Jeff

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
I understand not wanting to open the TO-6 but if I begged would you change
your mind. After just about giving up I was able to get the TO-6 and TO-6A
from BAMA and the "Bottom view of chassis" on page 14 is the same as my
manual,. two R16 and I need to know the value since both of mine are
different and I think both have been replaced with incorrect values.
tnx
73
hank wd5jfr

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Tara Morice as Fran, from the movie "Strictly Ballroom"

Old February 18th 04, 12:31 AM
Henry Kolesnik

Jeff
That would be very nice. I've downloaded from BAMA the TO-6 and TO-6A and
the difference I see is that Sprague added two resistors R37 and R38 and
changed the value of two R18, and R33. What I'm interested in is the value
of R16, there's two, what are their values in your TO-6? No pix necessary
unless you want to.
73
Hank wd5jfr

Old February 18th 04, 01:46 AM
Alan Douglas

Hi,
Well what I'm hinting at, is that I think mine didn't match the
schematic either, and I recall whoever I was discussing the problem
with (perhaps on the newsgroup or Forum) had a TO-6 that didn't match
as well. I recall extra resistors tacked in there in parallel or
something equally hokey. But that's the way it came from the factory,
as it's highly unlikely that *everybody's* TO-6 has been hacked up by
former owners.

73, Alan
Old February 18th 04, 02:16 AM
Henry Kolesnik

The paralleled resistors make sense, at least to me, I have no problem
understanding that part. What I think might be the case is that there are
some undocumented variations between the TO-6 and TO-6A. My main problem is
what is the value of the lower R16 resistor in the picture that shows the
underside of the chassis.