Old January 24th 05, 01:47 PM
John Williams

Default What does a bad power supply filter sound like?

Group,

I need an expert opinion on a Swan power supply.
I have a 350c and 117xc. The transceiver has problems I will deal with
later. For now, without any test gear, I want to rule out power supply
because I'm putting it on ebay. The rig I'll have to sell seperately to a
swan tech. on a reflector like this.

The radio has a consistant loud "CRACKLE" noise on receive. ( there is No 60
cycle hum.) All bands, all volume levels, all rf gain levels, with/without
antenna. crackle noise is steady. Without need to warm up.

This is my 4th swan and I always thought a bad filter cap would hum, not
crackle. And I've had shorted caps blow fuses.

On transmit I get full power out without noise on seperate monitor.(when it
decides to oscillate). Quiet carrier on CW an clean modulation on ssb.

The rf detector works, because I can hear stations through the crackle when
it decides to ocillate.

The rig also has an intermittant oscillator problem. RX and tx blink on and
off as I turn vfo dial or turn rf gain knob or key relay over and over.
There are no vfo "hot spots' where the oscillator quits or starts. It is
random and changes spots in dial travel on each try. Same thing on rf gain.
I'm not going to try to fix the rig, but is worth restoring to a collecter
due to near museum cosmetics. All that later.

I just want to know if power supply is probably ok.

No other rigs to put supply on and no scope to look at wave forms.

I need an educated oppinion for now. Does a bad power supply CRACKLE?

Thanks for reading.
ac6ts Escondido, ca.

Old January 24th 05, 01:59 PM

John Williams wrote:
[...]

I believe your power supply is OK. sounds like an output transformer or
output tube to me. Unplug the output tube and see if it stops the
noise.If it doesn`t stop the noise ,it would be transformer
shorting..If the volume control changes the noise then it could be a
shorted IF can..NO 1 RULE, make sure all tubes are good first...good
luck W4PQW

Old January 24th 05, 04:10 PM
Phil Nelson

I always thought a bad filter cap would hum,

Correct. A bad filter capacitor typically creates a loud hum that does not
change when you move the volume control.

Phil Nelson

Old January 24th 05, 04:16 PM
Steve

Yes, a bad capacitor can cause this problem. So can a lot of other
things.

A capacitor which is arcing internally (dielectric breaking down) sounds
just like you described. Chances are it'll be a bypass or coupling cap.
Other things to try are; wiggling tubes (corroded sockets), look for
cracked resistors, cold solder joints.

Good luck!

Steve
p.s.-a bad filter cap usually causes hum which you'd hear in the speaker,
and possibly on your transmit audio....filter caps can also arc internally,
but
in my experience, thats not as common

Old January 24th 05, 09:53 PM
patgkz

Just sell the darned thing "as-is". I've sold many Swans on ebay.....it
doesn't make much difference if it is a "tech special" and needs work or is
of average, working condition. They get about the same price. Just be
honest on the description......if it is complete and needs a little work,
there are many guys looking to pay good money if it is clean and just needs
some simple bench work to get it going right.

Old January 24th 05, 10:45 PM
Henry Kolesnik

If it doesn't need to be warmed up to hear the crackle, does it have solid
state rectifiers? Will the noise come thru with the volume turned all the
way down?

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old January 24th 05, 10:52 PM
Chuck Harris

For what it's worth, all of the HV caps in my Swan 350/117 needed
replacing. They big ones for the transmitter were oozing gorp.

Yours caps are probably from the same era, and should be replaced too.

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
If it doesn't need to be warmed up to hear the crackle, does it have solid
state rectifiers? Will the noise come thru with the volume turned all the
way down?

The 117 powersupply is solidstate, and so the crackling is very likely
the filter caps preparing to go blorp all over the place.

-Chuck
Old January 27th 05, 05:30 AM
robert casey

John Williams wrote:

Group,

I need an expert opinion on a Swan power supply.
I have a 350c and 117xc. The transceiver has problems I will deal with
later. For now, without any test gear, I want to rule out power supply
because I'm putting it on ebay. The rig I'll have to sell seperately to a
swan tech. on a reflector like this.

The radio has a consistant loud "CRACKLE" noise on receive. ( there is No 60
cycle hum.) All bands, all volume levels, all rf gain levels, with/without
antenna. crackle noise is steady. Without need to warm up.

If the volume control varied it, I would have suggested bad
caps in the IF transformers. See my page
http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/repair.htm
about half way down.

I'm not familar with this radio, it's a tube set, yes?
If so, try pulling the audio output tube. Still crackle?
Put the tube back and pull the audio driver (probably a
triode like a 6AV6). If you can get silence doing this,
then the problem exists somewhere closer to the front end.