Old March 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Phil Nelson

Default Nice choice of grandpas (Hallicrafters SX-88 as gift)

Why didn't I have a grandpa like this? The following email just came over
the transom from someone visiting my website:

I'm a 17 year old boy and I have a SX-88 radio. It was
working fine before transportation from my grandfather's
house to my house but now it's like there's no power
at all, lights in front dont even light up. What should I
check for, what you think it could be ?

I will advise the lad as best I can, of course.

The only things I could afford to buy at my grandpa's farm auction in the
early 1970s were a worn putty knife, some fishing lures, and a battered milk
can from their dairy barn. There was also a 1950s Esquire girlie calendar
that hung in his machine shed near the tractor, but I guess the censors
tossed that onto the burn pile down by the sloo before the auction.

Ah, well . . .

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old March 9th 05, 01:00 AM
Uncle Peter

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Speaking of fishing lures...

cast troll troll ask him for a photo!

Uncle Pete

Old March 9th 05, 03:05 AM
graham

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Why didn't I have a grandpa like this? The following email just came over the
transom from someone visiting my website:

I'm a 17 year old boy and I have a SX-88 radio. It was
working fine before transportation from my grandfather's
house to my house but now it's like there's no power
at all, lights in front dont even light up. What should I
check for, what you think it could be ?

I will advise the lad as best I can, of course.

The only things I could afford to buy at my grandpa's farm auction in the early
1970s were a worn putty knife, some fishing lures, and a battered milk can from
their dairy barn. There was also a 1950s Esquire girlie calendar that hung in his
machine shed near the tractor, but I guess the censors tossed that onto the burn
pile down by the sloo before the auction.

.... well Phil, it might be that some of your grandfather's fishing
lures might be worth much more than some of your radios
and a might easier to ship too! .... keep those lures!!!

Old March 9th 05, 03:08 AM
Phil Nelson

Well, I suppose it could be a faux message to my website, but if you saw all
the original text (with misspellings that I cleaned up) and its origin
(French-speaking part of Canada), you might believe it authentic, as I did.

My first piece of advice -- check the fuse, then the AC power line, followed
by a lot of blah-blah-blah -- was followed by a reply indicating that the
fuse and fuse cover were missing, possibly left behind at grandpa's house.
If I hear anything further, I'll ask him for a photo.

Phil Nelson

Old March 9th 05, 03:24 AM
Uncle Peter

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Well, I suppose it could be a faux message to my website, but if you saw

all
the original text (with misspellings that I cleaned up) and its origin
(French-speaking part of Canada), you might believe it authentic, as I

did.

My first piece of advice -- check the fuse, then the AC power line,

followed
by a lot of blah-blah-blah -- was followed by a reply indicating that the
fuse and fuse cover were missing, possibly left behind at grandpa's house.
If I hear anything further, I'll ask him for a photo.

Phil Nelson

I hope you told him what a treasure he has, and to take good care
of it! I wonder if he knows what he has there? Probably one years
tuition at a community college!

Pete