Old March 28th 05, 12:36 AM
RadioGuy

Caveat Lector wrote in message
news:ZzG1e.1302$k57.230@fed1read07...

RadioGuy wrote:
Well, you raise the question that's been on my mind for quite

awhile---just
what was the production on the 6146? I don't have the slightest idea

how
find that tidbit. They were well in production before TV became
commonplace---maybe 10 years or so.

Well here is how you find stuff

Go to this URL:
http://www.google.com/

Type in 6146 vacuum tube (Web Search)
Get several responses -- weed thru them
In the second down is Issue 6 Articles
which sez
the type 6146, was new in 1952.

Wanna see a photo of a 6146
Use google and search images for 6146
Wanna see a pinout
use google and search images for 6146 vacuum tube

Please make a note of it. Google that is -- can find damn near anything.
Including you -- see search groups

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Dear CL

Thank you sincerely for confirming my search procedure on the 6146
thermionic valve.

True to your word, I have already found the data that you mentioned in your
reply. I also managed to download the relevant pages from the RCA tube
handbook (1964) concerning the 6JB6, 6JB6A and 6146 for later study at my
leisure.

I still have yet to find the production data of the 6146 (how many
manufactured)---my two hour long Google search still has come to naught.
Similarly, production data for the 6JB6 (how many manufactured) has escaped
me as well and would be of additional interest in this running thread.

I agree most heartily, I have made a note of the Google search engine---as a
matter of fact, I have made it my home page for nearly ten years!

Fraternally yours,
RG

Old March 28th 05, 12:53 AM
RadioGuy

Edward Knobloch wrote in message
Hi, Gang

The 6146 was introduced by RCA in Jan 1952 QST (full page ad).
It was advertised as the big brother to the 2E26, which had been around
since about 1946.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Thank you Ed for the information. I knew the 6146 went back to the early
50's or so but I didn't know it was 1952; I did find tube specifications
dated May 1952 though. I had absolutely no idea that the 2E26 went back to
1946---that is interesting!

I remember those RCA ads on the back of QST; they probably would look real
nice in the radio-room after being mounted and framed. I recall one that
proudly advertised the 5763, 2E26 and 6146 as the ideal tube line-up for a
transmitter.

RG

Old March 28th 05, 02:37 AM
Caveat Lector

RadioGuy wrote:
[...]

Oopps a case of confusion on my part

When you sed "I don't have the slightest idea how to find that tidbit."

I thought you were talking about the first production date.

So apolgies from here.

Interesting you had google for 10 years as goggle sez:

Two Stanford Ph.D. students, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, founded Google in
1998.

As I sed Caveat Lector

Old March 28th 05, 02:39 AM
Dave Heil

RadioGuy wrote:

I still have yet to find the production data of the 6146 (how many
manufactured)---my two hour long Google search still has come to naught.
Similarly, production data for the 6JB6 (how many manufactured) has escaped
me as well and would be of additional interest in this running thread.

It might be tough to find the data on the total number of 6146's
produced since RCA was not the only manufacturer of the tubes. RCA,
Sylvania, GE, at least one Japanese firm and possibly others produced
the tubes. Likewise, a number of manufacturers produced 6JB6's.

Dave K8MN
Old March 28th 05, 02:45 AM
Dave Heil

RadioGuy wrote:

Well, the tube (6146) was in constant production during Drakes operation
(about 30 years) so it would imply that they were very common and
cheap---practically every other amateur equipment manufacturer was using the
6146.

Not quite. Yaesu used sweep tubes widely as did Swan, WRL, National,
Heathkit (in some transceivers) and even Hallicrafters (in some
transceivers).

Large numbers were used by the military and commercial services. My
gosh... if Heath was using them they certaintly couldn't have been that
prohibitive to design with. So it begs the question why Drake was using
them.

They likely got really good prices on them. In addition, a pair of
6146's was good for 80-100w output. A pair of 6JB6's in the Drake T4-XC
was good for about 140w. Swan and WRL pushed a pair of other tubes to
even higher output.

Dave K8MN

Old March 28th 05, 01:02 PM
Chris Suslowicz

In article 0dJ1e.1323$k57.178@fed1read07,
"Caveat Lector" wrote:

Interesting you had google for 10 years as goggle sez:

Two Stanford Ph.D. students, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, founded Google in
1998.

There were other search engines before Google, some of them are still going.

HTH, HAND, etc.

Chris.
(The new "Google Groups Beta", on the other tentacle, needs to be
mercilessly stamped upon - I've *never* seen a worse redesign of
a search engine than that pile of rubbish.)

--
"With its diet of keycaps, mouse-balls and Ethernet terminators, the
Aardvax can be a potentially serious pest in computer installations"
Old March 28th 05, 05:38 PM
Ted Zateslo

RadioGuy wrote:

I still have yet to find the production data of the 6146 (how many
manufactured)---my two hour long Google search still has come to naught.
Similarly, production data for the 6JB6 (how many manufactured) has escaped
me as well and would be of additional interest in this running thread.

I don't know how one could track down the numbers, but I've been thinking about
the relative abundance of these tubes.

The 6JB6 was a Novar version of the 6GW6 octal sweep tube. In the early 60's
RCA was introducing Novar sweep tubes, some of which were electrically the same
as earlier types, and some of which were new. GE was doing the same thing with
12-pin Compactron sweep tubes. The 6JB6 was meant for black-and-white TVs, but
by the mid 60's, comparatively few B/W sets used transformer power supplies --
most were "portable" sets with series-string heaters, and would have used, for
example, a 17JB6 in the horizontal output. So the 6JB6 was probably not a
huge seller, compared to the 17JB6, or to the 6-volt color tubes like the
6JE6 which were used a lot.

The 6146 was originally designed by RCA in response to George Grammer, W1DF,
QST technical editor, so it came about because of amateur radio, but it
was used in large numbers in GE and Motorola VHF 2-way radios.

There were a lot more TV sets than 2-way radios made, but it could be
that the relatively small number of transformer-powered black-and-white
TVs in the 60s meant that 6JB6 production was fairly low. I wouldn't
be suprised if there were more 6146's (of all variations) made than
6JB6's.

Ted Zateslo, W1XO

Old March 29th 05, 02:10 AM
Mike Silva

The 6146 was originally designed by RCA in response to George
Grammer, W1DF,
QST technical editor, so it came about because of amateur radio, but

it
was used in large numbers in GE and Motorola VHF 2-way radios.

I've never heard that before. Where can I read more about this?

73,
Mike, KK6GM

Old March 29th 05, 04:59 PM
pltrgyst

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:36:01 GMT, "RadioGuy" wrote:

I agree most heartily, I have made a note of the Google search engine---as a
matter of fact, I have made it my home page for nearly ten years!

If you consider seven to be almost ten, perhaps -- Google started in mid-1998.

-- Larry

Old March 29th 05, 07:49 PM
Ted Zateslo

In article .com,
Mike Silva wrote:
The 6146 was originally designed by RCA in response to George

Grammer, W1DF,
QST technical editor, so it came about because of amateur radio, but

it
was used in large numbers in GE and Motorola VHF 2-way radios.

I've never heard that before. Where can I read more about this?

73,
Mike, KK6GM

Mike,
I read it in a QST from sometime in the late 60's -- it wasn't a feature
article but a "Stray", I think, about the millionth 6146 (or some
other notable number, I think it was a million) produced by RCA. I
just did a quick search of the QST article database on the ARRL website
with no luck, but if I find the article, I'll post something.

I don't know if there are any other cases of a tube being introduced
especially because of an amateur need (although RCA certainly marketed
the 6146 to land-mobile and other markets right away). It was envisioned
as a sort of "modern 807" in function, although it's obvious that it's
a scaled-up 2E26 if you look at the tubes.

73,
Ted, W1XO