Old April 22nd 05, 03:23 AM
Chuck Harris

Reggie wrote:
Chuck, thanks for the feedback. I'll study your procedure and try to
put it into action.

The BFO knob only as a - at the left side an d a + on the right side.
There are no numbers to speak of. I tried the BFO all the way on 0,
then zereo beat, then all the way to the plus side.

reg

Hi Reggie,

If you look at the knob marked "Detector Mode", you will see the
following:

FM, SSB +1.5, SSB -1.5, AM, +6, +3, 0, -3, -6

The +1.5 means lower sideband, the -1.5 means upper sideband.

The +6 means the "0" position on the TUNE control is +6KHz.
The +3 means the "0" position on the TUNE control is +3KHz.
The 0 means the "0" position on the TUNE control is +0KHz.

If you put the Function switch in BFO check, and the Detector mode
switch in the "0" position, and the BFO TUNE knob at zero, you should
get a zero beat.

If you are in the "+6" position, you should get a zero beat when the
BFO TUNE knob is at the "-" position.

-Chuck
Old April 22nd 05, 05:51 AM
Reggie

When in the "+6" position, I do not get a true zero beat at the BFO
"-" position. It's still a relatively high tone.

Old April 22nd 05, 01:30 PM
Chuck Harris

Reggie wrote:
When in the "+6" position, I do not get a true zero beat at the BFO
"-" position. It's still a relatively high tone.

Hi Reggie,

That just means that the BFO circuit isn't quite balanced, but it is not
really a problem. The +/-3 and +/-6 positions are there to allow you to
use single sideband using wider filters, and "higher fidelity" modulation.
(some examples of when you might do this are some of the fancier modulation
schemes used in data/fax transmission.)

I was concerned that your bfo might have been stuck +6 high, or -6 low,
and then when you were trying to zero beat on WWV, you would never
get there.

-Chuck
Old April 26th 05, 11:52 PM
Reggie

Chuck, just wanted to let you know I resolved the tuning problem with
the 6217. Took your advice and adjusted the shaft coupling. Works
like a charm! Thanks.

Old April 27th 05, 02:39 AM
Chuck Harris

Hi Reggie,

I'm glad it worked out for you. The 6217 is a nice receiver, with
excellent audio. I think you will enjoy yours. One word of caution,
it doesn't take too kindly to front end overload.

-Chuck

Old April 27th 05, 06:11 PM
Reggie

Yes, I've noticed about the overload situation. I've had to switch the
attenuator switch back a notch of two.

Again thanks for your help and thanks to everyone else that gave me
direction.