Old September 10th 04, 11:27 AM
Captain Crane

Default What is the Best Power Supply.

Im thinking about buying a Pyramid PS 46KX 35 amp power supply... How
good is this power supply. What would you recommend for a 35 amp 12v
power supply ???

Old September 10th 04, 12:06 PM
K3HVG

Pyramid supplies are OK. I have a Pyramid 36KX 35A supply, bought
several years ago and its worked out fine fine. They're a bit cheaper
than Astron, too.

Old September 10th 04, 12:53 PM
G.Beat

"Captain Crane" wrote in message
Im thinking about buying a Pyramid PS 46KX 35 amp power supply... How
good is this power supply. What would you recommend for a 35 amp 12v
power supply ???

Check out the review from actual owners at http://www.eham.net
I observed that Pyramid cut costs (e.g. smaller heat sinks, marginal
component values) a few years ago on some models with the expected decrease
in overall product quality.
Plus some really bad soldering (e.g. MFJ also soldering problems in their
equipment from time to time) with some models.

For a 35 amp power supply (normal 50/50 usage), I recommend the Astron 35A
or 35M (I refer the metered version. Preferred choice by the commercial
(business band) radio market - easy to repair and components (and heat sink)
generally rated for stated usage.

Astron readily available on surplus market (e.g. eBay and flea markets). IF
you find a broken one being given away - pick it up fast ! Very easy to
repair (entire web site for troubleshooting and repair for the novice
technician or amateur radio operator)
http://www.kbt-dc-supplies.com/

w9gb

Old September 10th 04, 01:20 PM
K5DH

I've been using the same Astron RS-35M since 1983, and I would
not hesitate to buy another one. It's been a superb performer
all the time I've owned it.

Pyramid supplies are less expensive. There has to be a reason
for that...

73,
Dean K5DH

In article ,
says...

Old September 10th 04, 02:08 PM
COLIN LAMB

A friend brought up a Vista XX-RD 12 volt, 20 Amp power supply to me for
repair. It looks like the Astron and is just as heavy. However, upon
opening it I see that it is almost a bad joke. Output transistors are not
ballasted and the filter capacitors are 2 x 10,000 mfd caps. Stay away from
these.

Colin K7FM

---

Old September 11th 04, 01:37 AM
John Haberkern

I have been using a Tripp-Lite PR-40 for about 10 years,never have turned it
off. used it on a tr-7, ts-850, ic-756. never a problem.

John Haberkern

Old September 11th 04, 03:11 AM

That brand is designed for CB OPs. .... The stuff they buy has to be cheap
and has to have nice colors and/or to be shiny.
That's their expertise.
A good guide to buy Ham Radio stuff is QST. They have their standards and
don't advertise "sub-species". i.e.: Ramsey, Vectronics, MaxCom, Pyramid,
etc.

Old September 12th 04, 06:55 PM
Reg Edwards

The most reliable and least expensive power supply is a transformer + bridge
rectifier + 100,000 microfarad capacitor. There's so little to go wrong.

Old September 12th 04, 07:32 PM
w4udx

I would check to see if Samlex has a 35A model. I have a Samlex SEC-1223 20A
supply and it is a great supply.

Mark W4UDX

Old September 18th 04, 10:54 PM
PatW

I have been using a Pyramid Gold PS-21K for 8 years now. In that time
it has blown the bridge rectifiers twice and just 3 months ago it went
belly up aggain. Turned out that 3 of the 4 pass transistors were
fused.
This was cheaper to buy but in the long run looks to be more expensive
for me.