Old September 30th 04, 08:19 PM
M. Kassay

Default WTD: Radio Shack Science Fair kits

Hi,
Im looking for any old Radio Shack Science fair kits...

Im also looking for one of those old Radio Shack floor Battery
ashtray/garbage cans that they use to sell back in '78

if you have anything that might interest me, pls send me an
Email.
--
73 Mike

Old October 1st 04, 03:47 AM
patgkz

Man, you're bringing back memories with that RadShack
battery/ashtray.....hope you find one.

I remember those funky ashtrays and the fact that you could smoke freely
inside the stores back then. Most retail establishments had ashtrays placed
in aisles and such. People would walk around puffing and dropping clinkers
inside stereo's, on top of displays....what a mess! Little kids would kick
over the ashtrays, and that crappy white sand would be a mess on the floor.

What ever happened to the good old days?

BTW, I was at a hamfest this Summer and passed up one of those Shack "free"
5-cell flashlights (all the flyers had a coupon for this item to draw in the
unsuspecting fools - - - little did they know that they had to purchase five
D batteries while in the store to get the darned thing lit).

Ahhhhh, vintage Radio Shack.

Old October 1st 04, 04:10 AM
No Spam Here - Joe Schmo

Just came across one of the old science fair kits. 200 in 1 project job. Not
too bad of shape, but missing battery door. Book was with it, it too isn't
too bad, but not new, that is for sure. Shows signs of age and use.

Old October 1st 04, 11:16 AM
Ronny Julian

I've had a 200-1 kit up above the bench set up as a crystal rcvr for awhile.
It's good to have a way to listen to WSB and not put any burden on any power
source other than a small battery for an audio amp.

Old October 1st 04, 11:26 AM
No Spam

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 02:47:54 UTC, "patgkz" wrote:

Man, you're bringing back memories with that RadShack
battery/ashtray.....hope you find one.

I remember those funky ashtrays and the fact that you could smoke freely
inside the stores back then. Most retail establishments had ashtrays placed
in aisles and such. People would walk around puffing and dropping clinkers
inside stereo's, on top of displays....what a mess! Little kids would kick
over the ashtrays, and that crappy white sand would be a mess on the floor.

What ever happened to the good old days?

BTW, I was at a hamfest this Summer and passed up one of those Shack "free"
5-cell flashlights (all the flyers had a coupon for this item to draw in the
unsuspecting fools - - - little did they know that they had to purchase five
D batteries while in the store to get the darned thing lit).

Ahhhhh, vintage Radio Shack.

While I definitely do not want one, I was thinking about the "morse
boxes" that I used to have as a kid. These came two to a set. It
was a painted steel box with a spring steel key, room for two
batteries, a three way switch that selected a light, a buzzer, or a
clicker.

The code was printed on the box. It came with steel wire.
Everything rusted right away.

I'm surprised that these don't show up on morse/FISTS sites, eBay.

"M. Kassay" wrote in message

Hey, it's Mike. I've bought Heath stuff from him.

de a h 6 g i / 4

Old October 1st 04, 05:03 PM
Joe LeKostaj

Their "P-Box" kits were pretty fun too. I built their one-tube radio
that used a 1T4, IIRC. What a joy to listen to 3 or 4 stations at the
same time! ;-)

--
Joe K9LY

Old October 1st 04, 09:46 PM
Lou deGonzague

I was a Radio Shack manager back in the early 70's, wish I had kept one of
those ashtrays. I gave out thousands of those flashlights and there was
absolutely no purchase required. If they made you buy batteries they were
scammers and would have lost their jobs for it. The idea was to get you in
the store and look around at the Hi-Fi or radios, not to sell 5 D cells. By
the way the cops really liked them , maybe because the batteries lasted
longer than the 2 cell jobs.

Old October 2nd 04, 02:09 PM
Raoul

In article , Joe LeKostaj
wrote:

Their "P-Box" kits were pretty fun too. I built their one-tube radio
that used a 1T4, IIRC. What a joy to listen to 3 or 4 stations at the
same time! ;-)

Yeah, I had one of those, too. After I built it, Itook it apart, made a
'printed' circuit board with a piece o' copperclad and a Mototool.
Worked just as good that way!

I love things that glow...

raoul
Old October 4th 04, 01:24 AM
Ronny Julian

I learned computers thanks to Robin. The store manager at the local RS at
the mall. She let me come in every day after school and do whatever I
wanted on a model 3 or model 4 computer. I probably sold more computers for
her than the people she had working there. No wonder she gave me free 5
1/4's all the time!

I revisited the model 4 a few years back. Someone tossed one at a hamfest
and I took it home. Most of the software was locked into the 198X years.
They knew from the beginning that you had to sell new software all the time.
Unfortunately it died some weeks later.