Old June 11th 05, 04:34 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Kenneth Grimm wrote:

Interesting product, but, like it or not, pf is the industry
standard. You can tell that by what Scan Soft say in their ad for
Paper Port Pro 10 at http://www.scansoft.com/paperport/
I can't really justify the expense of Adobe Acrobat and Paper Port 10
both since all the operating expenses for BAMA come out of my pocket.
Saving space used to be a major constraint on BAMA, but storage space
is now very cheap. Of course, I still try to reduce the size of pf
files as much as possible realizing that there are many folks who are
stuck with dial-up connections to the Internet.

Ken K4XL

The stand alone reader software comes with the scanner software. I
bought a Visioneer 4400 USB a couple years ago for less than $50 and got
Paperport with it. I like that I can straighten scans with it. For PDF
files I use an older version of PDF995, before they started charging for
it. The PDF files on my website
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/ (and others) were created with
PDF995 It also has the option to encrypt a file so I can post a file
for someone, e-mail them the password so no one else can access the
file.

I wasn't advocating that you switch to it, but it is a compact and
useful format. After I scan files I can post them in *.max format, or
convert them to bit mapped files and convert them to *.gif format.
Paperport doesn't support *.GIF for licensing reasons. I was just
asking if files could be added in that format, if the reader is
provided. A lot of antique radio manuals are scanned in *.max format
and are available on the net that way. I have been converting my
collection of paper test equipment manuals to that format. I spend a
lot of time cleaning up each page, and aligning and splicing parts of
multi-page schematics. I usually get the splices to align to one pixel
offset, top to bottom. Also, i scan at 300 DPI so I can do OCR on the
text part of manuals to convert it to clean text. I can use this, with
the scanned graphics to create a very nice PDF but it can take a couple
weeks to do a single manual.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell