Old May 10th 05, 08:45 PM
William Mutch

Default ?? anomoly on BAMA site Bendix BC-221

I'm looking for a manual for the BC-221 frequency meter. In
tracing this thru the BAMA site I reached a downloadable 1 meg file
which turned out to be just a high resolution image of the cover of the
manual. Is the useful information about the unit stored elsewhere under
a different filespec ??
Old May 10th 05, 09:32 PM
Kenneth Grimm

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:45:21 -0400, William Mutch
wrote:

I'm looking for a manual for the BC-221 frequency meter. In
tracing this thru the BAMA site I reached a downloadable 1 meg file
which turned out to be just a high resolution image of the cover of the
manual. Is the useful information about the unit stored elsewhere under
a different filespec ??

What you discovered was not a high resolution image of the cover of
the manual, but rather a 38 page manual in djvu format. Do you have
the djvu plug-in installed in your browser? If so, the control panel
just above the "cover" will allow you to page through the manual.
Hope this helps.

Ken K4XL

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at
http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr
Old May 10th 05, 09:43 PM
Gregg

Behold, Kenneth Grimm scribed on tube chassis:

wrote:

I'm looking for a manual for the BC-221 frequency meter. In
tracing this thru the BAMA site I reached a downloadable 1 meg file
which turned out to be just a high resolution image of the cover of the
manual. Is the useful information about the unit stored elsewhere under
a different filespec ??

What you discovered was not a high resolution image of the cover of the
manual, but rather a 38 page manual in djvu format. Do you have the
djvu plug-in installed in your browser? If so, the control panel just
above the "cover" will allow you to page through the manual. Hope this
helps.

Ken K4XL

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at
http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com FTP site
info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr

Out of curiosity, why djvu instead of pdf?

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Old May 10th 05, 10:19 PM
Brian Goldsmith

"Gregg" wrote
Out of curiosity, why djvu instead of pdf?

***Go to the BAMA site,ALL is explained there!!

Brian Goldsmith

Old May 10th 05, 10:41 PM
Kenneth Grimm

wrote:

I'm looking for a manual for the BC-221 frequency meter. In
tracing this thru the BAMA site I reached a downloadable 1 meg file
which turned out to be just a high resolution image of the cover of the
manual. Is the useful information about the unit stored elsewhere under
a different filespec ??

What you discovered was not a high resolution image of the cover of the
manual, but rather a 38 page manual in djvu format. Do you have the
djvu plug-in installed in your browser? If so, the control panel just
above the "cover" will allow you to page through the manual. Hope this
helps.

Ken K4XL

Out of curiosity, why djvu instead of pdf?

Fair question.

BAMA is a voluntary, cooperative effort. If someone submits a bunch
of gif, jpg, png or other format, individual page images, I am happy
to put it into pdf format. However, if someone submits a manual in
djvu format, that is the way it goes onto the server.

A careful reading of the BAMA site will reveal that I am very unhappy
with djvu because of support issues and encourage those who contribute
manuals to use pdf or raw image files. Still, there are those who
prefer djvu because of the phenomenal compression that it is capable
of. If they send me a manual that fits the BAMA mission, I'm
certainly not going to refuse it because it is in djvu format.

BAMA continues to grow because folks are willing to go to the trouble
to scan and share their manuals. I'm not about to do anything to
discourage that! 8*)

Old June 6th 05, 09:47 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Kenneth Grimm wrote:

BAMA is a voluntary, cooperative effort. If someone submits a bunch
of gif, jpg, png or other format, individual page images, I am happy
to put it into pdf format. However, if someone submits a manual in
djvu format, that is the way it goes onto the server.

A careful reading of the BAMA site will reveal that I am very unhappy
with djvu because of support issues and encourage those who contribute
manuals to use pdf or raw image files. Still, there are those who
prefer djvu because of the phenomenal compression that it is capable
of. If they send me a manual that fits the BAMA mission, I'm
certainly not going to refuse it because it is in djvu format.

BAMA continues to grow because folks are willing to go to the trouble
to scan and share their manuals. I'm not about to do anything to
discourage that! 8*)

Ken K4XL

How about the Paper Port (*.max) format? The files are quite small
in 2 bit B&W, and there is a free stand alone viewer. You can see a few
scans and the get the viewer at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelaterrell/

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old June 6th 05, 04:51 PM
Don Bowey

On 6/6/05 1:47 AM, in article , "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

Kenneth Grimm wrote:

[...]

Having yet another non-standard format is not a good option. Also, it
appears to me that the .max format may only have a reader for the PC. Us
Mac users have some problems there.

I don't care for djvu, but it gets the job done (somewhat). When I need to
use it, I convert the image to a format I can edit to cut clean-up the fuzzy
edges left by enlarging the, usually too small, djvu image.

Don

Old June 8th 05, 08:57 PM
Kenneth Grimm

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 08:47:14 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Kenneth Grimm wrote:

BAMA is a voluntary, cooperative effort. If someone submits a bunch
of gif, jpg, png or other format, individual page images, I am happy
to put it into pdf format. However, if someone submits a manual in
djvu format, that is the way it goes onto the server.

snip
Ken K4XL

How about the Paper Port (*.max) format? The files are quite small
in 2 bit B&W, and there is a free stand alone viewer. You can see a few
scans and the get the viewer at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelaterrell/

Interesting product, but, like it or not, pf is the industry
standard. You can tell that by what Scan Soft say in their ad for
Paper Port Pro 10 at http://www.scansoft.com/paperport/
I can't really justify the expense of Adobe Acrobat and Paper Port 10
both since all the operating expenses for BAMA come out of my pocket.
Saving space used to be a major constraint on BAMA, but storage space
is now very cheap. Of course, I still try to reduce the size of pf
files as much as possible realizing that there are many folks who are
stuck with dial-up connections to the Internet.