Old October 27th 04, 06:49 PM
n9pt

Default WTB: RF Gain Control for TCS receiver

Hi All,

I'm looking for the RF gain control with AGC switch for the Collins TCS
receiver. Anyone have such a beast they can part with? Alternatively a
parts TCS receiver would be great.

Thanks and 73,

Pete

Old October 27th 04, 09:58 PM
Dbowey

Pete posted:

I'm looking for the RF gain control with AGC switch for the Collins TCS
receiver. Anyone have such a beast they can part with? Alternatively a
parts TCS receiver would be great.

Unless the TCS pot/switch is something unique, most repair shops should be able
to put the right combination together for you from a standard kit of parts.
The shop kits have the parts for different pot tapers, switch configurations,
shaft configuration, etc.

Don

Old October 27th 04, 10:37 PM
n9pt

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that the switch is on when the potentiometer
is fully clockwise, unlike the usual off when fully counter-clockwise. It switches
the AGC on when the RF gain is maximum.

73,

Pete

Pete posted:

Old October 28th 04, 12:01 AM
Dbowey

Pete posted:
Thanks for the reply. The problem is that the switch is on when the

potentiometer
is fully clockwise, unlike the usual off when fully counter-clockwise. It
switches
the AGC on when the RF gain is maximum.

The kits I worked with had configurations available for on or off at either
end of rotation.. Centralab parts as I recall. I just googled for Centralab
and see they are out of business, but got 198 hits showing parts are still
available. Other manufacturers made similar kits. Good luck.

Don
Old October 28th 04, 02:52 PM
Ted Zateslo

In article ,
Dbowey wrote:
[...]

The kits I worked with had configurations available for on or off at either
end of rotation.. Centralab parts as I recall. I just googled for Centralab
and see they are out of business, but got 198 hits showing parts are still
available. Other manufacturers made similar kits. Good luck.

Don

Centralab still exists, kind of. It was bought out by Philips some years
back, and then more recently Philips spun it off as BCcomponents, which
has been bought by Vishay and is called Vishay BCcomponents. The "C"
stands for Centralab, so it still exists even if only as an initial.
Vishay also owns such good ol' brands as Sprague and Dale.

I looked around the website to see if any of their current product
line is boatanchor-relevant, and noticed they still make 1KV and 5KV
ceramic disc caps, I think exactly the same ones that were in the
Allied catalog in the 60's. No more pots, though...

Ted Zateslo, W1XO

Old October 30th 04, 04:52 PM
Ed Price

"Ted Zateslo" wrote in message
In article ,
Dbowey wrote:
[...]

[...]

That's a shame too, because those Centralab 3/4-turn, about inch diameter,
sealed pots were nearly indestructible and very reliable. Can't even imagine
how many of those I stripped out of surplus for other projects. Remember
that yellowish varnish-like spray on that old mil gear; was in called
Humiseal?

Ed
wb6wsn

Old October 30th 04, 05:14 PM
Edward Knobloch

Ed Price wrote:
snip
Remember that yellowish varnish-like spray on that old mil
gear; was in called Humiseal?

You're thinking of "MFP" - moisture and fungus-proofing.

Ed Knobloch
Old February 23rd 05, 01:40 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Dbowey wrote:

Pete posted:

I'm looking for the RF gain control with AGC switch for the Collins TCS
receiver. Anyone have such a beast they can part with? Alternatively a
parts TCS receiver would be great.

Unless the TCS pot/switch is something unique, most repair shops should be able
to put the right combination together for you from a standard kit of parts.
The shop kits have the parts for different pot tapers, switch configurations,
shaft configuration, etc.

Don

news:rec.antiques.radio+phono Look for Mark Oppat. he has a decent
election of Centralab parts.

--
Beware of those who suffer from delusions of adequacy!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Current in loading coil, EZNEC - helix Yuri Blanarovich Antenna 334 November 9th 04 05:45 PM
WTB: RF gain pot for TCS receiver n9pt Boatanchors 0 October 19th 04 11:16 PM
Antenna tuner Matthew&Wendy Antenna 68 August 10th 04 12:32 PM
Antenna Rotor Control Burnt Up Chuck Boatanchors 0 December 7th 03 04:32 AM