Old December 22nd 04, 01:53 AM
No Spam

Default Value of a boatanchor.

** Reply to note from Martin 21 Dec 2004 19:45:43 -0000

I have recently came into posession of a Johnson Viking II with the
External VFO. It is complete and in good condition, but in need of a
good cleaning and I'm sure re-capping. Would anyone know what this
type of rig might be worth? I'm just trying to see if it's worth the
time to restore it, i see that there is a lot of copper or copper
plating on this rig that would really look nice when cleaned up.

There are two schools of thought on boatanchors. I'm in the fix
it and use it school. For me, fixing is the larger part of the
fun.

I do a cosmetic clean up. Mostly mild soap and water using a damp
rag. Then I fire up the radio and try to figure out what's wrong
with it, if anything.

I've found bad electrolytics and way out of spec carbon resistors.

I've found dirty contacts in switches, pots, relays, and that
spring that contacts the moving part of a variable capacitor. The
product De-Ox-Id by CAIG cleans those up like magic.

I get the radio looking and working as best I can. I have a shelf
of projects.

There is another school of thought. These are like collectors of
antiques. You're not supposed to clean or restore a real
antique. The real fanatics prize the patina of age (dirt) on
furniture or whatever.

Radios owned by these folk are called "shelf queens". They are
not repaired except with original parts. Since you can't find a
70 year old capacitor that works, these radios don't work. They
sit on the shelf and are display-only.

As for the value of a Viking II, go to www.aade.com. Neil
maintains a price list of boatanchors. Take Neil's price and
double it. That'd be my guess.

I have another view of antique radios. I believe that the prices
are yet to be realized.

I saw a "catalin" table radio sell on eBay for over $20,000.
These are plastic AM table radios in weird colors. Apparently
collectors, whoever they are, are collecting these, for whatever
reason.

Watch the Antique Roadshow. Weird, screwy stuff is priced at
incredible numbers. Ugly furniture, carvings, ceramics,
paintings, books, most things I'd say, "what would I do with
that?" Incredible numbers like $10,000, $25,000, $80,000.

Then I look at my Signal/One CX7A, one of less that 1,000.
Incredible engineering, Nixie tubes.

I think that in the near future, boatanchor radios will be highly
prized collectables. It might not happen for 20 years, it might
be starting now.

I hate to say it but the people who are preserving "shelf queens"
will probably see the highest valuations.

I'm definitely not in that school.

My goal is to have a working radio where the exterior looks like
new. If I have to install new capacitors and resistors, that's
just a part of maintenance.

If you can get your Viking II working and clean it up so that it
looks like new, it will only increase in value.

Given the renewed interest in AM and CW, I'd say you have a
valuable radio there.