Old October 13th 05, 11:17 AM
David Stinson

Guido Sarducci from NYC wrote:

Don't spend a lot of money on those self adhesive
ship labels, instead use regular paper and get
one of those glue sticks that the kids use at school,
that turns your plain paper label into a stick on label
for a few cents !

I advise against this;
I did a mass-mailing using "glue sticks"
to attach the plain-paper mailing labels.
A large percentage of them fell off in transit.
Spend the extra money for good labels;
one lost package will cost a lot more than you save
using "glue sticks."
IMHO, of course,
Dave S.

Old October 13th 05, 11:19 AM
David Stinson

hinkeydo wrote:
.... seems the guys in the
warehouse love to kick the hell out of boxes like that.

I'll never understand the Union attitude:
"Lets see how much damage we can do to the company
that puts bread in our mouths and clothes on our kids."

Old October 13th 05, 11:23 AM
Michael A. Terrell

UPS has been OK with me, except when you haver to talk to them
on the phone. In one case, they kept calling back to my house. I had
received one of their calls there while home for a doctor's
appointment and told them not to call there again. No such luck. Then
you can never talk to the same idiot twice. They introduce themselves
as "account executives", but these cheap-ass "executives" can't accept
an incoming call -- you get the luck of the draw from whatever
connects them.

Then the dorks go tappity-tap on their keyboards as you
describe the problem, but the info never gets to the next dork you
talk to -- it's a brand new day and you have to explain the whole
damned thing again.

Last year, a friend was getting DSL and the equipment was
UPSed to her. On delivry day, she looked at the website during the day
(Friday). Late in the day, it was recorded as "no such address". She
lives on a short stub (three houses worth) of a street which had a
section removed for a throughway -- twenty years ago -- and half the
time, they still lose it.

We then told them to deliver it instead to the UPS facility
near where she worked -- on Monday, so she could pck it up at lunch
time. I did that part for her. The wackos said they had to deliver to
an address. I asked why they didn't know the address of their own
facility ten miles north. So they changed their story to they couldn't
just send it to another facility -- it had to be a house or business
address. Since she had just started a new job and didn't want it
coming to work on her third day there, I told them to just divert it
to my address 25 miles farther north. They agreed to do that.

In the end, I went to her place to accept a completely
different furniture shipment (real trucking company for this one) on
Monday. When I arrived, the UPS package was sitting on her doorstep.
To hell with any instructions UPS had agreed to.

Thirty of those bozos would have a cumulative IQ of fifteen.

I had the USPS return a package to the sender for "No such address".
My shop was directly across the street from the post office. It was all
you could see when you looked out their front windows, yet they couldn't
find it. UPS would leave my stuff at the wrong door, so if i was
expecting anything I had to check quite often to make sure someone
didn't walk off with it.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old October 13th 05, 12:16 PM
Jornada680e

What about the "Union attitude"? Any problems that arrise are
attributed to management as they set the standards and rules. Bad
management equals bad employees. The Union employees at UPS are no
different than any other Union employee. All want their employer to
thrive and earn many dollars. They know that more profit is more pay
raise in future contracts.
NOYK in central Florida
UAW and proud
Buy US! Buy Union!

Old October 13th 05, 02:21 PM

I truly believe FedEx treats YOUR package much
better than UPS!!! UPS does not seen to care much
how much "bouncing" so to speak YOUR item takes.

In the case of UPS it seems to have more to do with the shipper than
anything else.

When I get heavy items from Fair Radio via UPS the box always arrives
in pristine condition.

When I get similarly heavy items from random individuals the box is
often nearly destroyed by the time it gets to me (and often the
contents too.)

Admittedly at least part of the difference is the inexperience of J
Random Luser putting a 80 pound radio in a lightweight box filled with
styrofoam peanuts...

Tim.

Old October 13th 05, 03:15 PM
Simon

Hi

Can any US readers of this thread explain why Fedex or UPS is so
popular compared with the much cheaper US Mail?

Here in Australia Fedex and UPS offer a service, but few private
individuals would consider using them due to high costs and the
inconvenience when delivery is a problem if people are away at work.
With normal post, we have post offices in all suburbs where
undelivered mail can conveniently be picked up or items posted.

I have never had loss or damage problems with ordinary mail to and
from the US.

Simon

On 12 Oct 2005 10:23:59 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

wrote:

I have been using Fedex Ground and Home delivery for some time now after
discovering the same thing you posted here.

Agreed.

Let me also say that, from my experience, UPS and FedEx Ground break things
at about the same rate. But when FedEx damages something, they promptly
inspect it and pay out without a fuss, while UPS will do almost anything to
avoid paying insurance claims. Admittedly I have had only three UPS issues,
but all were nightmares.
--scott

Old October 13th 05, 03:40 PM
Scott Dorsey

Simon wrote:
Can any US readers of this thread explain why Fedex or UPS is so
popular compared with the much cheaper US Mail?

Because for packages over about two pounds, US Mail is much more
expensive than the package companies. For light packages, just a
couple resistors or a tube, the postal service is usually a better choice.

For international stuff, I don't know. And I will say that the postal
service is not very good at paying up on their insurance claims either.
--scott

Old October 13th 05, 04:50 PM
Dave Heil

David Stinson wrote:
hinkeydo wrote:
.... seems the guys in the

warehouse love to kick the hell out of boxes like that.

I'll never understand the Union attitude:
"Lets see how much damage we can do to the company
that puts bread in our mouths and clothes on our kids."

I've never noted anything like that.

Our UPS guy has been on the same route for over twenty years. He even
brings dog buscuits the dogs on his route. He is friendly and
courteous. For outbound shipments, I take UPS items to Staples.

One FedEx shipment for me was delivered to a neighbor who lives on a
different road, a half-mile away. Airborne Express brought a fragile
e-bay purchase during a snow. Rather than driving up my drive (which I'd
done with a front wheel drive automobile, the guy placed the parcel atop
my postal mailbox alongside the road where it could have toppled to the
pavement or have been easily stolen by anyone.

Dave Heil K8MN

Old October 13th 05, 10:23 PM
Ron

Dave Heil wrote:
David Stinson wrote:

hinkeydo wrote:
[...]

Yes different parts of the country are quite different. I gave up on
UPS years ago because it was just to hard to ship a package with them.
I live in Phx and the nearest Depot was 15 miles away. From experience
on the receiving end thought I have had packages arrive in very poor
condition plus have had packages delivered to the wrong address. I have
shipped some items via FedX put from friend experiences collecting
insurance on an antiques or old boatanchors is very hard. If an item is
extremely height it will go FedX. Being I do not ship all that much but
more than the most people I find shipping via the USPO the easiest and
most friendly. There Priority boxes and Flat rate Box services can not
be beat. If I was a business then I expect I would be using UPS and FedX.

Back to boxing for my next run to the USPO,
Ron WA0KDS

Old October 14th 05, 06:52 AM
Riley

Postal US now has flat rate boxes priority mail,
$ 7.85 for up to 70 lbx, check it out http://www.usps.com
priority mail flat rate.

UPS, FedEx and DHL offer insurance $ 100 value included in the rates
and are reasonable for more expensive items to insure.

Yes, the insurance at ups is to insure they do not pay the claims.

Postal US mail is more expensive to insure.

OTOH, I get shipments from aes in milwaukee just fine,
fair radio (super pack jobs at fair prices) also.
Those overcharger on ebay shoud take a lesson in packaging from fair radio !

Only had on problem with ups, they did not get signature and I paid for it,
so I called to get them to credit me for the fee and they sent the driver
out the next day to get a signature. what a joke, I protested the fee
on my amex card and they had to refund it. Signature at delivery,
not after delivery.

UPS and Fedex counter people are great in my area.