Old October 15th 05, 08:34 AM

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:17:50 -0700 (PDT), "Phil Kane"
wrote:

The only problem that I've had with the local UPS delivery here is
that he leaves the package and rings the bell, and then it's a race
to see if I can open the door before I see The Big Brown Truck drive
off.

That was decided years ago. Numerous friends who work for UPS
tell me that, maybe ten or fifteen years ago, the beancounters figured
the extra deliveries that could be made instead of waiting for sigs
would easily cover the cost of stolen-off-the-doorstep shipments.

A friend told one of these people that a $600 antenna had been
left in plain sight under his exterior stairway and it might have been
nice to claim it wasn't delivered so he could have a spare for his
summer home.

But they have this wacko deal where it's at the driver's
discretion as to whether or not to require an adult's presence and
sig. I once had some computer books shipped from Amazon. I came home
to a yellow sticky saying the package had to be delivered to and
signed for by an adult. I called about it. No reason was given, but I
was told I could not just sign the yellow sticky and leave it on the
door.

Since the UPSsholes only work when I am at work, I had them
divert the shipment to work, hoping it wasn't some porn mis-shipped to
me for the amusement of the mailroom staff.

It was just my Amazon order, so I called UPS to ask what the
hell was up. They said the driver could make the non-overridable
judgement to require adult presence and sig. The nest they could guess
was that there might have been thefts of packages in my neighborhood,
so he decided to lay on the requirement.

Old October 15th 05, 08:46 AM

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:49:54 -0500, "John N9JG"
wrote:

Back in the minicomputer days, we had a disk drive for a DEC PDP11-70 on
order. In those days drives were large and heavy, and a single drive might
take up one-third of a rack. Well, the freight truck driver pulled up near
the loading dock, opened the rear doors and backed the semi up to the
Not finding any help, he climbed inside the trailer and rolled the 120 pound
crate out the back of the truck and down onto the loading dock. The height
difference between the floor of the trailer and the loading dock was about
four feet. The driver pulled forward, closed the trailer doors and drove
off. Needless to say the drive didn't work, and the shock detector inside
the packing crate indicated the drive had suffered at least one large
impulse during shipment from the factory to the customer.

Not as serious, but I once had a drive about 2x3x4 feet in
size merely dropped off by UPS on an unattended, open loading dock --
no signature taken. That was on the shipper for not requiring a sig.
But it stood on the dock, only occasionally attended, for another
three days, with no notice to me -- my company's bad. When I fnally
called the vendor, they chased it down (pre-tracking-website) and
found it had been delivered three days earlier.

Dumb vendor -- when we later replacd a line printer with a
faster one, they were supposed to come and pick up the old one. They
screwed around for four months and finally came around for the
printer, on the third floor of a three-story building. Ha-ha -- by
that time, the freight elevator was out of service for a couple of
weeks for re-building. The vendor had to hire another outfit to come
out with expensive equipment capable of walking a heavy printer down
two wrapped flights of stairs.

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Phil Kane wrote:

[stuff]
Sounds like bovine excrement to me. I have dealt with companies in the
past...

[stuff]

Old October 15th 05, 02:43 PM
Chuck Harris

Bill wrote:

case here and I know Alaska and Hawaii suffer much of the same.

Both UPS and FedEX service Alaska and Hawaii with no problem. They
do charge you for the extra expense of getting to these remote locations
(as they should!).

-Chuck
Old October 15th 05, 04:53 PM
mike murphy

Default Shipping: UPS Ground vs. FedEx Ground

In article ,
"John N9JG" wrote:

Back in the minicomputer days, we had a disk drive for a DEC PDP11-70 on
order. In those days drives were large and heavy, and a single drive might
take up one-third of a rack. Well, the freight truck driver pulled up near
the loading dock, opened the rear doors and backed the semi up to the
Not finding any help, he climbed inside the trailer and rolled the 120 pound
crate out the back of the truck and down onto the loading dock. The height
difference between the floor of the trailer and the loading dock was about
four feet. The driver pulled forward, closed the trailer doors and drove
off. Needless to say the drive didn't work, and the shock detector inside
the packing crate indicated the drive had suffered at least one large
impulse during shipment from the factory to the customer.

back in the "old days" didn't ups have a 70 lb limit on all boxes?
Old October 15th 05, 05:37 PM

mike murphy wrote:

In article ,
"John N9JG" wrote:

back in the "old days" didn't ups have a 70 lb limit on all boxes?

Now it's 150 lbs except for Hazmat which is still 70 lbs.
I deal with UPS daily and they SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hazmat non-conus is generally sent Fed Ex and I use them everyday.
Given a choice I would ship DHL or Fed-Ex always!

Old October 15th 05, 07:05 PM
Chuck Harris

mike murphy wrote:
In article ,
"John N9JG" wrote:

Back in the minicomputer days, we had a disk drive for a DEC PDP11-70 on
order. In those days drives were large and heavy, and a single drive might
take up one-third of a rack. Well, the freight truck driver pulled up near
the loading dock, opened the rear doors and backed the semi up to the
Not finding any help, he climbed inside the trailer and rolled the 120 pound
crate out the back of the truck and down onto the loading dock. The height
difference between the floor of the trailer and the loading dock was about
four feet. The driver pulled forward, closed the trailer doors and drove
off. Needless to say the drive didn't work, and the shock detector inside
the packing crate indicated the drive had suffered at least one large
impulse during shipment from the factory to the customer.

back in the "old days" didn't ups have a 70 lb limit on all boxes?

Yep, this was a diversion to a gripe about an unnamed freight company.

-Chuck

Old October 16th 05, 06:37 PM
mike murphy

In article ,
" wrote:

mike murphy wrote:

In article ,
"John N9JG" wrote:

back in the "old days" didn't ups have a 70 lb limit on all boxes?

Now it's 150 lbs except for Hazmat which is still 70 lbs.
I deal with UPS daily and they SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hazmat non-conus is generally sent Fed Ex and I use them everyday.
Given a choice I would ship DHL or Fed-Ex always!

We switched to fedex 2 years+ ago, no complaints.

ups drivers are nice guys ( they still bring stuff here, and pick up on
ocasion) but the company ( mostly insurence issues for us) sucks.

from my experience, they treat every insurence claim like fraud on the
part of their customers.

used ups for international shipments at the req of customers, they
messed up more times than not.
Old October 16th 05, 08:57 PM
mainframe_dude

Busted by the ShockWatch !