Old October 31st 05, 03:17 AM
Clif Holland

Default Shipping: UPS Ground vs. FedEx Ground

Not picking on the "grunts" but the upper level would be hard pressed to
find the bathroom.

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
ast.net...
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:26:51 GMT, Clif Holland wrote:

The FCC is Reactive not Proactive. The latter would require thought.

The latter requires commitment on the part of very high level
management, all political appointees who do not understand what
the agency does in the field nor why resources (personnel and
equipment) should be expended on it.

I say that as a long-retired FCC field enforcement manager who is
not charmed by what the agency has become lately.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old October 31st 05, 05:19 AM
Bill

Phil Kane wrote:

I say that as a long-retired FCC field enforcement manager who is
not charmed by what the agency has become lately.

Hmmm....I probably have a notice here somewhere with your autograph

Does the FCC still go after Novices with 40m harmonics falling out of
band on 10 meters or has the freeband CB QRM covered up all of the
violations?

Just kidding. Well, no...not really.

-Bill ex-WN4SXX
Old October 31st 05, 06:44 PM
Jerry

"-=H=-" wrote in message
Hi all,

I shipped two boxes of amateur radio equipment yesterday from
Lewisville, Texas to Cooper City, Florida. As always, I used
FedEx Ground. Here's why:

Two packages:
(1) weight 33.60 lbs, size 24 x 21 x 16 inches, insured $900
(2) weight 13.95 lbs, size 22 x 22 x 14 inches, insured $100

FedEx Ground, delivery in 3 business days, cost $38.77
UPS Ground, delivery in 4-5 business days, cost $56.07

UPS would have charged $17.30 more than FedEx (that's almost
45 percent) and would have taken 1-2 days longer to arrive.
To me, $17.30 is not a trivial amount of money.

Something to think about next time you're shipping packages!

73,
Dean K5DH

AND UPS will destroy a cinder block, much less your valuable ham gear!
"Reasonable Care" in handling is not in UPS's vocab!

73

Jerry

Old November 1st 05, 12:54 AM
Ron

I received a roll of guy cable (almost like a block of iron) today via
UPS and would you believe they damaged it. Nothing gets shipped UPS from
this person.

Old November 3rd 05, 05:52 PM
Robert Bonomi

Default Shipping: UPS Ground vs. FedEx Ground EEOO other weasel wordsetc,..,

In article ,
Bill wrote:
Mr Fed UP wrote:
Other weasel words I have seen on many company names these days.
Are LLC instead of INC or CO .... I found it to be the acronym for
Limited Liability Company. Anyone know what this means for them
to weasel out of being liable? Seems like most companies are going
to similar labels. I don't want to be liable for nothing either, but
Sheezzzz!!! Do we all expect to get shafted from every place we
do business now? Any enlightenment appreciated.
Any lawyers out there? Can they really do business and not be
responsible for the services and products they sell?

You're confusing liability for damages with liability between partners
of a corporation. Same word, different context.

Here's a brief explanation taken from the web.

Liability Issues of a Limited Liability Company

In a limited liability company, a member's legal liability is limited to
his or her investment in the business. Generally, a member's personal
assets are not at risk, but a member's personal assets may be at risk if
any of the following occurs:

*
A member personally guarantees a business debt.
*
The form of business is found to be a sham (not properly formed
or maintained).
*
A member becomes personally liable as a result of his or her own
acts or conduct.

Technically, an "LLC" is a modified form of a partnership. In a traditional
partnership, *each* owner is responsible for _all_ the liabilities of the
business. In an LLC, 'n-1' (at *most*) of the partners are 'limited liability'
partners -- they have liability exposure only up to the assets they have
invested in the company (subject to 'special case' situations like those
mentioned above, whereby they may incur additional liabilities). The
remaining partner (or partners) is a "general partner", and is personally
liable for any/all things above and beyond the assets provided by the
"limited" partners.

A full fledged "Corporation" is a 'legal person' in and of itself. Assets
of the shareholders (the owners of the corporation) are immune from claims
against the corporation. Officers and directors of the corporation may
have personal liability to the shareholders for acts as a corporation official.
Persons acting "on behalf of" the corporation may end up with personal
liability for their own actions or conduct, IN ADDITION TO the corporation's
liabilities for those actions/conduct.

An LLC is much simpler -- in terms of organizational structure -- than a full-
fledged corporation, But it gives the 'limited' members "almost all" of the
protections of a passive stockholder in a corporation.

Basically, it is an attempt to give the 'small guy' most of the benefits of
the real corporation, without burdening him with all the overhead that is
necessary for a large business entity -- WHILE, at the same time, ensuring
that there _is_ a "responsible party" to fall back on, in the event of claims
against the business.

From a customer standpoint, there is essentially "no difference" between
dealing with an LLC, and dealing with a full-blown corporation.

Old November 16th 05, 12:13 AM
Richard D. Reese

I agree. I shipped a 25 pound package to Rome Italy via USPS and the cost
was only $42.00. I was told that it would go air and be delivered within 5
days. Had confirmation from recipient in Rome in 4 days!

--
Richard D. Reese
http://www.wa8dbw.ifip.com
"Simon" wrote in message
Hi

Can any US readers of this thread explain why Fedex or UPS is so
popular compared with the much cheaper US Mail?

Here in Australia Fedex and UPS offer a service, but few private
individuals would consider using them due to high costs and the
inconvenience when delivery is a problem if people are away at work.
With normal post, we have post offices in all suburbs where
undelivered mail can conveniently be picked up or items posted.

I have never had loss or damage problems with ordinary mail to and
from the US.

Simon