Old November 4th 05, 03:19 PM
GHB

Default ASTRON POWER SUPPLY PARTS

Does anyone know where to get parts for an RM-60M Astron power supply?
Astron corp may not want to help me. I may need a power transformer to to
replace the old one. Thanks

Old November 4th 05, 03:56 PM
Lazy Senior

GHB wrote:
Does anyone know where to get parts for an RM-60M Astron power supply?
Astron corp may not want to help me. I may need a power transformer to to
replace the old one. Thanks

Give Astron a try. I needed a power switch for a old RS-50m and Astron
sent it *free* along with a manual to me. Excellent people to deal with.
Doubt you will get a transformer free but bet they sell you one reasonable.

Lazxy Senior
Old November 4th 05, 07:52 PM
Clif Holland

My money says the transformer is good.

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Old November 4th 05, 09:22 PM
Michael Black

"Clif Holland" ) writes:
My money says the transformer is good.

And of course, the transformer is likely the most expensive item
in the power supply. Either it is good, as you say, or one has
to reconsider. Any of the other power supply parts will be cheap
and likely easy to get, but a transformer is going to be costly.

Michael VE2BVW

Old November 5th 05, 04:49 AM
gb

"GHB" wrote in message
k.net...

Does anyone know where to get parts for an RM-60M Astron power supply?
Astron Corp may not want to help me. I may need a power transformer to to
replace the old one. Thanks

VERY UNUSUAL for a transformer failure on an Astron supply.
How did you check this??

IF you are new at troubleshooting Astron supplies, look here for almost
everything you need to troubleshoot (KBT DC Supplies):
http://www.kbt-dc-supplies.com/index.php

I use a standard Fluke DVM for all Astron repairs (check bridge rectifiers,
diodes, pass transistors, voltage / current measures.

Standard components to fail on Astron:

LM723 - no simple way to test (NEVER remove or install without draining the
large bean can electrolytic capacitor -- or you will destroy it internally)

Bridge rectifier
MOV on across primary of transformer
NPN Pass Transistors (2N2055 or 2N3771) on heat sinks
Sometimes SCR (Crow Bar circuit)

Broken Astrons are a "gold mine" since they are straight forward to repair!!
http://www.seits.org/features/pwrsup.htm

Astron schematics
http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...ron-index.html

gb

Old November 5th 05, 06:53 PM
GHB

I want to thank all of you for your outpouring of information on this
subject and no I'm not sure if the transformer is really bad.
"gb" wrote in message
k.net...