RadioBanter

-   -   Boatanchor Xmitters and Scopes (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/81801-boatanchor-xmitters-scopes.html)

M. J. Powell November 12th 05 09:12 PM

Simple Questions and Assholes

In message , Brian Hill
writes

"Lazy Senior" wrote in message
news:BBrdf.2485$MY4.2011@trnddc03...
Michael Black wrote:
"IonSpot" ) writes:

You really are a "lazy senior". Too many questions, not enough Googling
to find the answers on your own.

Or for that matter, looking in books.

Michael VE2BVW

Where is this "Ham Spirit" we all are supposed to have. Why does everyone
just has to act like an asshole on Usenet? I asked a simple question, but
only got got trash talking. I know how to google and read books, I was
asking those that do use scopes how they do it.

No wonder No one wants to became a new ham any more, we are all cranky
*******s with a chip on our shoulder.

Why even have this boatanchor group if you cant ask simple questions and
get help and not riduculed...

I am outta this group right now, you guys just go on reading the auction
ads, thats all this group is good for..

Lazy Senior

I guess he told you guys and I agree.

Me too.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Michael Black November 12th 05 09:17 PM

Lazy Senior ) writes:
Michael Black wrote:
"IonSpot" ) writes:

You really are a "lazy senior". Too many questions, not enough Googling to
find the answers on your own.

Or for that matter, looking in books.

Michael VE2BVW

Where is this "Ham Spirit" we all are supposed to have. Why does
everyone just has to act like an asshole on Usenet? I asked a simple
question, but only got got trash talking. I know how to google and read
books, I was asking those that do use scopes how they do it.

What it is with people who come here with an attitude, using a name
that in effect sets the stage, "lazy senior", and seem not very good
at asking questions, yet when they don't like the responses, they
think the medium is at fault.

YOu get interested in something, you read up on it. Then you ask
the questions from the standpoint of having some sort of common basis
with the people you are asking questions. A year before I was licensed,
I had a basic idea of how oscilliscopes were used for modulation monitoring,
and had an idea of what was commonly used. It was in the ARRL Handbook,
and there was a time when virtually every ham would have had a copy, it
being common ground.

So then you would know the basics, and if you couldn't grasp some of what
was said, then you could come here and say "I read up on oscilliscopes
for modulation monitoring in the Handbook, but I still don't get why
they connect directly to the deflection plates, rather than feeding
it through the input on a commercial scope?".

That question defines some of the issues, and ultimately it is a couple of
hints to you, hinting that the answer was in at least the old Handbooks,
hinting that the answer you seek.

If you didn't have such contempt for the medium, this is the second time
you've turned around after coming to us with your questions and said you
don't like the medium, you might grasp that far more than a comment
on your laziness, my bit about books was against the notion that the
internet would be the final point of all information. It can be
really useful for obscure bits of information that might not travel
well because of limited appeal, but books and magazines with their more
formal style are often the best place for learning. People who think
they can have all the answers without going near books are fools.

I would suggest there is something in the tone of your posts that causes
the responses. But telling someone to read up on what you are interested
in is not some "usenet" thing. Decades ago, people likely were directed
to the Handbook for many an answer, because it had already been written.
When I was a kid and newly licensed, the most important thing anyone
told me was to keep reading all that I could get my hands on, and the
most important thing was that they lent or gave me back issues of
the ham magazines, and old books, so I could read and learn.

Ask an interesting question, you are more likely to get a good response.
Remember, people aren't paid to answer your questions here, so you have
to give them reason to want to. Your "lazy senior" is a bad start,
asking general questions that could best be answered by reading would
be an issue too. And maybe, it's your attitude that you think you
know the answer, but then want others to give you that same thought.

When you asked about amplifiers, a little dip into the old books would
tell you nobody used a linear in the days of AM. People told you that,
people gave reasons why, but then you turned around and basically ignoring
what was written, said "yeah, but what about linear amplifiers". In effect,
what we took the time to write didn't matter to you, because you "knew"
the answer was a linear amplifier. You can't learn anything if you
don't listen to what people are saying.

If you don't like my responses, you'd better be looking at yourself, because
I've had access to the newsgroups since 1994, and it sure isn't so I can
"ridicule" people. I'll go out of my way to write something if I feel
the poster is worthy of the effort, but sometimes the truth is
indeed that they should be reading books or even doing websearches.

Micahel VE2BVW

Lazy Senior November 12th 05 09:34 PM

Michael Black wrote:

If you don't like my responses, you'd better be looking at yourself, because
I've had access to the newsgroups since 1994, and it sure isn't so I can
"ridicule" people. I'll go out of my way to write something if I feel
the poster is worthy of the effort, but sometimes the truth is
indeed that they should be reading books or even doing websearches.

Micahel VE2BVW

Actually I got VERY good responses on the amplifier questions with lots
of private emails that were very helpfull but NOTHING helpfull from you.

And I got the right answers concerning my Ranger and PTT post but
NOTHING helpfull from you.

I have got nothing from you except your attempt to ridicule and flame
me. If you dont have anything to contribute just keep your thoughts to
yourself, no one here wants to read them.

I have had access to newsgroups to way before you, does this make me
smarter - hardly.

Seems like all you do is go outta your way to ridicule or flame people.
Thanks for your call letters, I'll make sure I ignore you on the air.......

Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior November 12th 05 11:33 PM

Boatanchor Xmitters and Scopes

Caveat Lector wrote:
Nice article on using an Oscilloscope in the Ham Shack
http://www.icycolors.com/nu9n/scope_your_audio.html

Includes trapezoidal patterns

Thanx this is an EXCELLENT article and helpfull..

Lazy Senior

Caveat Lector November 12th 05 11:58 PM

Boatanchor Xmitters and Scopes

Most welcome
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Beerbarrel November 13th 05 02:28 PM

Simple Questions and Assholes

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:34:38 GMT, Lazy Senior
wrote:

Michael Black wrote:

[...]

I agree with Lazy Senior on all points. Black offered absolutely
nothing to the thread except frustration. If you can't offer info then
don't reply. If you want answers, you need to get on moderated
forums. They are just as free as usenet. As a matter of fact, some
ISP's don't offer very good usenet access so you have to pay extra to
get a good usenet provider. I don't ever ask questions on usenet
anymore. I do follow some of the threads because I do see good info
from time to time.

Usenet Loser List
---------------------------------
mFool and ole boney!, Peter Wieck, David
David (call me at home) Stinson, Steven Dinius, Ken G
Sylvain Vanier, Honus, John(I love animals more than you think)BarnYard, M

Straydog November 15th 05 07:44 PM

(and also Lazy Buttheads)...was: Simple Questions and Assholes

I read several of these posts, and the responses. Its not just this
newsgroup, but also on lots of technical newsgroups. There are a lot of
people (mostly younger, but a lot of older ones) that think: i) NGs are a
source of _free_ advice, and ii) you not only can come up with any
question, but the _lazy-easy_ way to do anything is preferred over doing
any research via, say, google (we've all forgotten all the other search
engines, haven't we?) and heaven forbid that anyone should read books any
more. I read the ARRL handbooks and lots of electronics books, magazines,
all the old catalogs (Allied, Newark, Lafayette, etc.) when they first
came out. Grand stuff!

I get upset when kids come onto a newsgroup and say "my teacher gave us
this assignment to do a term paper on (subject X) and use the internet to
do it and where can I get that term paper already done?" And that's the
way the internet is being used.

What is wrong with doing some broad reading and thinking, first? Then
formulate a purposeful question.

===== no change to below, included for reference and context =====

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Michael Black wrote:

Uncle Peter November 15th 05 11:41 PM

(and also Lazy Buttheads)...was: Simple Questions and Assholes

"Straydog" wrote in message
x.com...

What is wrong with doing some broad reading and thinking, first? Then

formulate a purposeful question.

Nothing wrong with asking questions; but what raises my hackles
are the lids who want FREE advice, and then get mad that the
answers don't meet THEIR expectations.

Pete

Lazy Senior November 15th 05 11:55 PM

(and also Lazy Buttheads)...was: Simple Questions and Assholes

Uncle Peter wrote:
"Straydog" wrote in message
x.com...

What is wrong with doing some broad reading and thinking, first? Then

formulate a purposeful question.

Nothing wrong with asking questions; but what raises my hackles
are the lids who want FREE advice, and then get mad that the
answers don't meet THEIR expectations.

Pete

First you call me a troll and then a lid. I didnt call anyone names.

Here's a thought, if you dont like the person, or question,or answers
dont flame or call names, just dont respond. Keep you thoughts to
yourself. Is that so hard? It isnt for people without egos...........

Lazy Senior

Uncle Peter November 16th 05 12:38 AM

(and also Lazy Buttheads)...was: Simple Questions and Assholes

"Lazy Senior" wrote in message
Uncle Peter wrote:
"Straydog" wrote in message
x.com...

What is wrong with doing some broad reading and thinking, first? Then

formulate a purposeful question.

Nothing wrong with asking questions; but what raises my hackles
are the lids who want FREE advice, and then get mad that the
answers don't meet THEIR expectations.

Pete

First you call me a troll and then a lid. I didnt call anyone names.

Here's a thought, if you dont like the person, or question,or answers
dont flame or call names, just dont respond. Keep you thoughts to
yourself. Is that so hard? It isnt for people without egos...........

Lazy Senior

I didn't mention you. Did I hit a home run??