Old January 31st 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Bill Janssen

Default How old are you?

Charles wrote:

I guess that I am the "old man" 62 (1959 started)

This news group seems to populated by a bunch of youngsters. I am coming
up on 78.

Bill K7NOM

wrote in message
roups.com...

Just a question that has been rattling around in the gourd. What age
group are B/A enthusiast-type folks here on the Net? I know we have the
folks from when they (the B/A's) were the most active (and I'm talking
SX11 here), but I wonder if there's a large following of Boomers that
picked up on it too. I only say this because I don't see as many
30's-40's-50's people at the Hamfests and other gatherings as I see my
elders (Gentlemen, all). So the question bubbles up outta the tar? How
old are the folks on rec.radio.amateur.boatanchor?
rgds, Mark S.

Old January 31st 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
CLFE

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a question that has been rattling around in the gourd. What age
group are B/A enthusiast-type folks here on the Net? I know we have the
folks from when they (the B/A's) were the most active (and I'm talking
SX11 here), but I wonder if there's a large following of Boomers that
picked up on it too.

There's plenty, if you define the boomers as those born between the late
40s
and early 60s. Probably the majority on this group, as we are the most
likely to have some sort of interest in both computers and vacuum tube
electronics.

I only say this because I don't see as many
30's-40's-50's people at the Hamfests and other gatherings as I see my
elders (Gentlemen, all). So the question bubbles up outta the tar? How
old are the folks on rec.radio.amateur.boatanchor?
rgds, Mark S.

I'll be 49 in a few days. Although I'm not a ham, I've been to a few
hamfests. I'd guess the bulk of the guys at the fests were retired guys,
but that might only mean that retired guys have more free time. But it's
my
sense that younger people have less interest in vacuum tube electronics,
and
most of what interest they have is in hi-fi audio and guitar amps.

Frank Dresser

Many of those "retired" folks had some good electronics backgrounds. Even if
they were Mill workers - Coal Miners or the like, many ended up doing
repairs to the equipment. So, don't let yourself be fooled that "all" these
"retirees" were late comers into the hobby. Many of those "retirees" have
ham set ups that would rattle your imagination. Then too, some of them would
tell you - they grew up with radio but never took the time to get into it,
and now that they're retired, they want to do so - so in that case - your
assumption would be correct. The hamfests I go to are still pretty well
populated by young and old alike. Maybe not too many "young" under say 30,
but a handful. Enough to make me believe the hobby/profession isn't dead
yet. As to those over 20 to say 40 - maybe not as populated as the retirees,
but not far behind.

Now for my 2 cents as to the above post (respectfully)

Though many of the parts available at the time Vacuum tubes were used - were
still available with transistors/ICs - and many still are yet today - isn't
so much the reason for lack of interest. This argument has raged for the
last few years at various times and even recently in another group. SMT has
chased many away, but still - with all the "parts big enough to see and
solder" without an Electron Microscope and thousand dollar soldering set -
the younger group has seemingly NO interest. The SMD isn't the only reason.

As I said in another group - you would think - that as much as these kids
seem to be into computers (or were) - video games, cell phones, etc......
some would want to get involved. I said also that yes - though Cell phones
and the like are created in China or where ever for sale here - the fact
remains, someone still has to maintain the cell sites - and it takes
knowledge to do that. We can ill afford to allow our technology and
maintenance to be exported. When we cease "maintaining" as well, we're done.
Our Technology then, may as well be tube state - because if we can't fix it,
those who seek to destroy us would have an open hand at doing so. If the
armed forces are the only way to get these kids to train now days, we're in
trouble. The armed forces couldn't possibly keep up the pace.

Just my 2 cents...

clf

Old January 31st 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
[...]

Huh? How was I stating any assumptions about when hamfesters got into the
hobby?

The hamfests I go to are still pretty well
populated by young and old alike. Maybe not too many "young" under say 30,
but a handful. Enough to make me believe the hobby/profession isn't dead
yet. As to those over 20 to say 40 - maybe not as populated as the

retirees,
but not far behind.

Well, the topic was interest in boatanchors. If you're saying that there's
almost as many people between 20 to 40 with an interest in boatanchor radios
as people over 65 -- you've noticed something I've missed.

[...]

Well, they sure sell a bunch of fancy video cards and other such
computeralia at Best Buy and Circuit City and Fry's. I'm assuming the
buyers are the gamers who are into upgrading their computers, much as the
hot-rodders of my generation would buy manifolds and camshafts at the speed
shop.

I said also that yes - though Cell phones
and the like are created in China or where ever for sale here - the fact
remains, someone still has to maintain the cell sites - and it takes
knowledge to do that. We can ill afford to allow our technology and
maintenance to be exported. When we cease "maintaining" as well, we're

done.
Our Technology then, may as well be tube state - because if we can't fix

it,
those who seek to destroy us would have an open hand at doing so. If the
armed forces are the only way to get these kids to train now days, we're

in
trouble. The armed forces couldn't possibly keep up the pace.

Just my 2 cents...

clf

Military threats are so last millenium. Given our huge trade deficit and
our enormous foreign-financed budget deficit, they'll just fly over and buy
everything with what used to be our money.

Frank Dresser

Old January 31st 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Fred W4JLE

68, first licensed in 1956.

Old January 31st 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Fred W4JLE

You were a general at age 10?

"Litzendraht" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well,

I'm 61

Novice License 1955

General License 1956

Extra Class Permit 2003

Old January 31st 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Litzendraht

Fred, I was a General at 11, a couple of weeks before my 12th birthday.

John

Old January 31st 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Ron H

I'll be 61 in a few months, got my novice in 1960 ( I think ) Wish I still
had the Valliant! Got out of Ham Radio for a few years to raise the family
then got back into it and B/A mid 90's

Ron H.
K3PID