Old February 1st 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Lynn Coffelt

Default How old are you?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a question that has been rattling around in the gourd. What age
group are B/A enthusiast-type folks here on the Net?

This one is older than you, sonny! First two receivers built in 1941
(neither of which worked as "liquid solder" didn't seem to be a very good
conductor). We used condensers, and resistor color code was "body, end,
dot". After long struggle to reach 13wpm with a stick, got class "B" license
in 1948. Class "A" not until 1950.
Old (73) Chief Lynn

Old February 1st 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Phil Witt

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:38:52 -0500, "Fred W4JLE"
wrote:

68, first licensed in 1956.

Me, too, both.
Old February 1st 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I am W4PQW ,age 77,been licensed since 48 . I have made the complete
loop and am now very much involved in BA ..I like the technical aspecs
of tube equipment,the ability to measure,calculate and design
circuits..Am Not too turned on by a circuit board with a thousand parts
smaller than a pin head,on a multi-layer board with no circuit
description, or parts nomenclature..Pretty soon Hams will not posses
enough knowledge and skill in radio and electronics to justify our
existance ,our license and use of the publics frequencies..Maybe I
will just take all my secrets with me .. hi,hi.. Harold S

Old February 1st 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Ron in Radio Heaven

Harold, you're repeating yourself....

Ron

Old February 1st 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Gene

KIDS, 72,heard radio Switzerland reading allied pow lists 44 & 45 on a
home made regen. o1a tube...Tech. 1976, Gen. 96...73`s Gene wb7ngi

Old February 1st 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
JB

47

SWL since grade school, Adv ticket in HS. ex. WA6KZB. BA were just used
radios that we could only afford if we could fix em. TCS twins.

AC6TK
wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a question that has been rattling around in the gourd. What age
group are B/A enthusiast-type folks here on the Net? I know we have the
folks from when they (the B/A's) were the most active (and I'm talking
SX11 here), but I wonder if there's a large following of Boomers that
picked up on it too. I only say this because I don't see as many
30's-40's-50's people at the Hamfests and other gatherings as I see my
elders (Gentlemen, all). So the question bubbles up outta the tar? How
old are the folks on rec.radio.amateur.boatanchor?
rgds, Mark S.

Old February 1st 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Uncle Peter

57. I can't imagine how I got here this fast.

Been a ham since 1961 or '62... First Radiotelephone since
high school. I'm finally able to afford the rigs that I could only
dream of owning when I was a kid. As a novice I started with
a DX-60 and a Lafayette KT-200! When the solid state rigs
came out I sold all my tube stuff. Now I'm trying to get them
back!

Pete K1ZJH