Old February 2nd 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Phil Witt

Default How old are you?

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 04:42:35 GMT, " Ron in Radio Heaven"
wrote:

Harold, you're repeating yourself....

Ron

Shhhh. It goes with the age.
Old February 2nd 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Gary Schafer

Just turned 60. Still can't believe it.
Got my ticket in 1959 or 1960. My first rig was an S38 receiver and
the transmitter was a home brew 6AG7 and 807 built from scrounged TV
parts. When I got my general I cathode modulated it with the power amp
of an old Broadcast radio.
Next was an ARC5 on 40 meters. I got a Knight T50 somewhere in that
time period too.
I put the ARC5 on DSB and got hooked on side band.
Then I built a phasing type SSB exciter and various amps. Still in
high school and no money.

The S38 I had didn't come with an RF gain control so trying to copy CW
on it was next to impossible as it would overload. Added a pot in the
IF cathode for IF gain. Made a new receiver out of it. Later added an
old beacon receiver tuned to the IF for a Q5R. Then added an ARC5 vfo
to use as the master oscillator. Then I had a very stable and
selective SSB receiver. I called it my "S line receiver".
As a kid that's all I could afford.

My first commercial side band transmitter was a Central electronics
10B then a 20A.
I built a converter for a BC453 and had a better SSB receiver then.
I still have a 20A that I put on once in awhile but it is not the
original one. I have owned several over the years and have traded them
for something.

I still have the BC453 and have revised the converter several times.
The rig now has avc and product detector. I drag it out every few
years and make a few improvements on it then put it back on the shelf.

I didn't get my first "real" Collins S line until around 1976. I think
I still have that too.

I do have modern gear but still collect and like the old stuff.

73
Gary K4FMX

Old February 2nd 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
- exray -

wrote:

Harold, you're repeating yourself....

Ron

Shhhh. It goes with the age.

Could you repeat that? I can't remember if I didn't hear it or forgot it.

-Bill
Old February 3rd 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Orv

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a question that has been rattling around in the gourd. What age
group are B/A enthusiast-type folks here on the Net? I know we have the
folks from when they (the B/A's) were the most active (and I'm talking
SX11 here), but I wonder if there's a large following of Boomers that
picked up on it too. I only say this because I don't see as many
30's-40's-50's people at the Hamfests and other gatherings as I see my
elders (Gentlemen, all). So the question bubbles up outta the tar? How
old are the folks on rec.radio.amateur.boatanchor?
rgds, Mark S.

will be 66 next month - continuously licensed since 1957 as KN0MBK.

Orv
W6LMP

Old February 3rd 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Caveat Lector

Default Possible BA Collector Winner (Was How old are you?)

Age has nuttin to do wid it
It's haw many boatanchors ya got
Take a look at this -- the possible winner - URL:
http://members.cox.net/wa6mhz/

Not Me but I do have my first radios - Hallicrafters S-40A and S-38
Ham since 1977

I'm 75 as well as I can remember

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old February 3rd 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
john carson

Litzendraht wrote:

Fred, I was a General at 11, a couple of weeks before my 12th birthday.

John

75 Learning to fix radios at 11. Carrer in electronics. Ham ticket 1959.
John K3OPC

Old February 4th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Martin Potter

) writes:
Just a question that has been rattling around in the gourd. What age

Almost 65. Been listening to "short wave" since the early 50's (my Dad
was licensed in 1933) but I didn't get my ticket till 1983. Advanced in
'84. Have always liked BA stuff (all I could afford in the early years)
expecially ex-military. Still have some of it but don't get on the air
much. Have to do something about that.

.... Martin VE3OAT

Old February 4th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Terry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a question that has been rattling around in the gourd. What age
group are B/A enthusiast-type folks here on the Net?

Occasional browser here at B/A.
Was 11 when W.W.II ended. Got interested in 'electricity' at 12, while
living in an all-gas house in NW United Kingdom.
My Elmer was an uncle who gave me war surplus stuff, some of which I still
have.
Built first radio at age 13, completed after dropping a glass 6K7 that cost
me several weeks pocket money! :-(
Then got interested in war surplus 'Command Rxs', admiring, as I still do,
their practical and neat construction.
Learnt a lot, then spent 40 years in telecommunications industry in Uk and
Canada. Retired from that in 1992 and spent 12 years in the catering
business. Finally retired in 2004 again tinkering with electronics. Took
'transistor' course at local college of technology in 2005 scoring 80%+, so
grey cells in this gourd still active; I think! Age 72 in a few week.
Warm regards to all who post. Terry

Old February 4th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
pltrgyst

59. Novice in 1959 (12), general 1960 (13), FCC first with CW endorsement 1961.

Grew up in NJ, with monthly trips down to NYC's "Radio Row" on Cortlandt Street,
and the many surplus electronics stores along US 1 in northern NJ. Hauled many a
BC-348 and BC-454 home on the train, to my Dad's dismay. (Although he did even
help me put up a 50-foot telescoping steel mast in our back yard. 8 )

Worked through high schools repairing tv's in a local shop, and operating mostly
from the local high school station (WA2GVV, with a DX-160 and HQ-170A), YMCA
(K2YNT), and local Civil Defense office.

Drafted out of college in 1966, so went down and emlisted as an MOS 05 radio
operator, but wound up in OCS instead of Ft. Monmouth.

Gave up operating around 1992, when I figured new call sign policies, incentive
licensing and USEnet had killed ham radio, but still keep my cw skills up by
listening on a 2C and an R-8500.

-- Larry (ex WA2QCM)