Old February 5th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Litzendraht

Default How old are you?

pltrgyst wrote:
general 1960 (13), FCC first with CW endorsement 1961.

Larry, that's quite an accomplishment. Exams in those days were
taken in person at an FCC field office. No answers were published. You
were strickly on your own. And the First Class ticket was really
something to be proud of.

John

Old February 5th 06, 04:56 AM
Junior Member

Cool

I'm 53 in 3 weeks. Is there a pattern here??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon
Greetings! I am 51. I got the bug at about 15 years of age. Wanted to
become a ham in 1970, but the prices scared me off. Got my ticket in
Feb. 2000. First radio, 1925 Splitdorff picked up for $3.00, and I
still have it. Have a great week! Jon in South Carolina.
Old February 5th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
pltrgyst

On 4 Feb 2006 18:57:22 -0800, "Litzendraht" wrote:

pltrgyst wrote:
general 1960 (13), FCC first with CW endorsement 1961.

Larry, that's quite an accomplishment. Exams in those days were
taken in person at an FCC field office. No answers were published. You
were strickly on your own. And the First Class ticket was really
something to be proud of.

Thanks, but it didn't seem like a big deal. Several of my friends did the same
thing -- we had the two very active local clubs I mentioned, and the FCC testing
office in NYC was only 45 minutes away by train on our frequent shopping
expeditions.

The first did come in handy years later when I was working for RCA and they had
their big strike, and hundreds of us non-radio/tv station employees filled in.
8 Other than that, I never used it for employment.

I don't miss the redundancy of short QSOs, but I did love cw.

-- Larry

Old February 5th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Litzendraht

pltrgyst wrote:
general 1960 (13), FCC first with CW endorsement 1961.

Larry, that's quite an accomplishment. Exams in those days were
taken in person at an FCC field office. No answers were published. You
were strickly on your own. And the First Class ticket was really
something to be proud of.

Thanks, but it didn't seem like a big deal. Several of my friends did the same
thing -- we had the two very active local clubs I mentioned, and the FCC testing
office in NYC was only 45 minutes away by train on our frequent shopping
expeditions.
Other than that, I never used it for employment.

I really wasn't referring to the 1st class ticket as an aid to
employment (although it was a viaible credit in those days). I'm just
saying that you should have been as proud as a peacock when you left
the FCC office. And I'm sure you were!

I can't even relate my elation at passing the General in 1956 when I
was still 11. And the examiner even complimented me on my code ability.
"Son, where did you learn the code?."

"Well, I've been a Novice almost a year now and I've had plenty of
practice."

John

Old February 5th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Grew up in NJ, with monthly trips down to NYC's "Radio Row" on Cortlandt Street

Ah, the memories! I grew up in Florida and went to college in the midwest,
but worked one summer for the Holmdel Bell Labs in New Jersey, and I still
remember my one trip to NYC's Radio Row! (FWIW, I turned 65 last week.)

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge

Old February 6th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
clemenso

I am 59, but I was 39 when I got my first BA , an R-390A . And an SWL
from about age 9. Come to think of it, I did pick up an R1155 at age 19
which served me for many years.

Now, with 30-40 BA's, I think there are a couple of parameters that
tends to bracket the age group (with notable exceptions): You gotta
have some spare money (kids moved out?) , you gotta have some room
(do.) , but also you gotta be able to do the heavy lifting. Maybe there
is also the YL/XYL factor, when did we last hear about someone scoring
on the strength of their BA-collection? "Won't you come up and see my
boatanchors?"

Best,

Clemens S.Ostergaard
Aarhus
Denmark

Old February 7th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Carl WA1KPD

Interest may have been started at the age of 3 when I bit into an extension
cord. Life altering event.

Long story for another day about how I got into ham radio, getting my ticket
in 67.

was an SWL for about 4 years and when I began to experiment with AC
convinced a local kid to hold different combinations of power cords until I
could see how he got "shocked" so I would not repeat his actions. When he
did get a shock he jumped so fast I was unable to note how he was holding
the wires.
Spent next 4 hours in my room alone per my mother

Woke my parents up at 6 AM one Sunday morning in 65 to tell them of my
invention of AM stereo. Dreams of fame, $$$$, appearance on "What's My Line"
and my picture on cover of PE, Boys Life and Look magazine filled my head.
Later learned that stereo and 2 speakers in parallel are different concepts.

53 here too and still dreaming of fame, $$$$, appearance on "What's My Line"
and my picture on cover of PE, Boys Life and Look magazine .

--
Carl
WA1KPD
Visit My Boatanchor Collection at
http://home.comcast.net/~chnord/wa1kpd.html

oups.com...

Old March 14th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
kh

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:58:14 UTC, wrote:

Just a question that has been rattling around in the gourd. What age
group are B/A enthusiast-type folks here on the Net? I know we have the
folks from when they (the B/A's) were the most active (and I'm talking
SX11 here), but I wonder if there's a large following of Boomers that
picked up on it too. I only say this because I don't see as many
30's-40's-50's people at the Hamfests and other gatherings as I see my
elders (Gentlemen, all). So the question bubbles up outta the tar? How
old are the folks on rec.radio.amateur.boatanchor?
rgds, Mark S.

Just turned 59. First licensed in 1963. Novice about 8 months then
took the general. First rig was a DX-60 and SX-101A. I had built a
Knight R-55 but never got it working well enough for ham radio use.
It was a sort-a OK, AM SWL radio.

Gotta say that 75 watts CW, crystal controlled on 15 meters (this is
in Hawaii) was the most fun of all. Used to work VK's, ZL's, and
JA's in the afternoon.

Kinda dropped out of ham radio over the years, what with computers,
programming in assembler and PL/I.

Now restoring a Signal/One CX7A as well as other boatanchors. I
have a theory that these things are way under valued as collectables
and relics of a never to be seen again, technological era.

I know folk who collect civil war stuff. While that is
"interesting", most of that can be made with blacksmith technology,
because, that's how it was made.

No one will ever make a Collins 75S-1 again. Ever. The technolgy
doesn't exist any more.

I've bought a couple items from list members, Collins. Good folks
to deal with.

For a number of reasons, health, miserable employers, some poor life
choices on my part, I don't have a lot of spare cash but what I
have, I've been investing in boatanchors.

The weird thing about the 75S-1 is that it looks modern, sorta. You
can tell that it's not a SX-28 or 75A-1 or NC-188. If I had the
cash, I'd buy every 75S-1 I could. It's right at that cusp where
they still used vacuum tubes but wanted to build smallish radios.

Adopted a SX-100 from a fellow who threatened to send it to the
landfill. If he had only known to put a red dropcloth behind it, he
could-a sold it for $1,600.

I just built the transmitter half of a PIXIE2 and plan to use it
with an SB-303. Maybe get a WA6OTP PTO kit and use it with the
SB-303. What fun that would be.

I built the PIXIE2 transmitter into a mini-DX-60. I submitted the
pictures to eham but they haven't put them up yet. You can preview
this at
www.kiyoinc.com/dx60.htm

Let me know what you think. It's just a fun project.

I think of the SB-303 as another landmark piece of technology
history. Solid state but not digital. 100% analog circuitry pushed
to the limit to get the stability and frequency readout.

In the full range of history, there's an incredibly brief period
when those things made sense. After about 1970, 1975, it's digital.
Before 1955, 1960, maybe, the look was completely different.

I had a page up on Heathstuff but took it down for re-hosting.

I've been looking at the DVFO project sites and wonder why no one
has set up one of those as a "all-bander" for S-Lines. Program
the readout for the Collins 1st IF offset and 200 kHz steps.

Similarly, the Ten-Tec 1284, can it be that hard to program the PIC
for 100/1,000 Hz steps? Anyone have a PIC de-compiler?

What a nice little receiver it would make.

de ah6gi/4

Old March 15th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Al

I'm 56, and got my Novice in '64, General in '65, Advanced in '69, and
Extra in'78 (or somewhere around there). I was interested in
electronics since I was about 10, maybe before that. Like others have
said, I used to pick up old TV's and radios that were being thrown out,
either to strip out the parts or to fix up and use.

I don't have a whole lot of boatanchors, but I do have the Heath
SB-301/401 line that I use for my main operating equipment, and I also
have a DX-40, HG-10 VFO, and an NC-300 that I recently fixed up and
aligned. Also a Swan 250 that I use on six meters once in a while.

When I get tired of a piece of equipment, I buy a better one to replace
it, then usually sell the old one since I have a limited amount of
space in the shack.

Al, WA2AS