Old March 8th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Rob Mills

Default R-4b jack question

I just acquired an R-4b (serial # 9737C) and it has a 1/4 phone jack between
the RF gain knob and AVC switch. Don't see this jack in any info that I can
locate.The receiver has been stored un-used since being re-caped and etc by
drake just before drake quit taking in and rebuilding things, probably 8 or
9 years ago. Would drake have added something? The relative who owned it was
not inclined to modify equipment. RM~

PS, No I haven't opened it up or fired it up yet, just un-boxed and studying
things.

Old March 8th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG

Although I don't have an R4B (2 R-4C's, though) I'm looking at several
front panel pictures of the R4B. It appears to me that, just like on
the T4XC, there's a small dot on the screened front panel where the mic
jack would have been punched as on previous models. On the T4XC model,
they moved the mic jack to the rear panel, owing to the crowded
conditions behind the front panel. One might assume, then, that a
similar condition existed on the R4B but a previous owner may have none
the less simply moved/installed (in this case) a phone jack on the panel
for convenience. The same thing can be done to the T4XC, but its a
tight fit, inside!

Old March 8th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Rob Mills

"K3HVG" wrote in message

a previous owner may have none the less simply moved/installed (in this
case) a phone jack on the panel for convenience.

That's probably what it is and another reader who e-mailed me also thinks it
is. It sort of surprised me as I think brother inlaw bought these new and
don't think he ever used headphones. I'm going to hook it up as soon as I
find time but may open it up and have a look first.

Thanks, RM~

Old March 9th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
COLIN LAMB

It sort of surprised me as I think brother inlaw bought these new and
don't think he ever used headphones.

Sometimes you find out dark secrets about friends or relatives who are
passed on, when you go through their stuff. Perhaps your brother in law was
one of those who put holes in perfectly nice panels. I have learned darker
secrets about relatives.

Colin K7FM

Old March 9th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Rob Mills

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
nk.net...

I have learned darker secrets about relatives.

Morning Colin,

I hear that! I did open it up last night and it was an additional phone jack
and there was a factory made square hole in the chassis ( copper plating
covered the edges of that hole ) to clear the jack and the jack was neatly
installed. I plugged it in and everything seemed to be working as it should
but am going to pick up a can of deoxit this afternoon and do some cleaning.
After looking at some of the switches I have decided that only the
transmitter was returned to drake to be gone through and it looks new
inside and out, wish it was the receiver that had gone back as I have no use
for the xmiter. Later, RM~