Old May 22nd 05, 05:08 PM
Lucky

Default Pete: Lowe 150 Technical Question

Hi there Pete

I was looking at the specs of the 150, and I see the audio output specs for
the headphones jack is 4v 220ohms. Does the headphone jack put out 4v DC??
I'd like to harness it for it's 4v of power. What woud be the best way to to
this and have one hot and one ground?

Since the headphone jack is mono, where would the 4v be hot? On the very tip
of the headphone plug?

If I stuck a mini stereo plug in the larger mono plug and plugged it in,
would one of the resulting wires coming out of the cut mini plug power out
at 4v DC? What could I use for the ground {-} line? Surely it's not the
other mini plug wire? Just use the radio's case for ground?

Thanks one that sees thru radios
Lucky

Old May 22nd 05, 05:23 PM
Michael Black

"Lucky" ) writes:
Hi there Pete

I was looking at the specs of the 150, and I see the audio output specs for
the headphones jack is 4v 220ohms. Does the headphone jack put out 4v DC??
I'd like to harness it for it's 4v of power. What woud be the best way to to
this and have one hot and one ground?

You're completely misreading the specifications.

They are talking about 4V AC, measured across 220 ohms. That's the level of
the audio coming out of there.

And newsgroups are for eveyone. If you are looking for an answer from
someone specific, and I think that's actually rude, then use email.
Hence there's no reason to address posts to someone specific.

Michael

Old May 23rd 05, 06:48 AM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Lucky,

They would be talking about the AC level across 222 ohms; there wouldn't be
any DC there. If you do have any questions for me, it would be fine to
e-mail me directly.
There are quite a few knowledgeable folks on the NG, so it is good to
include all of them with these kinds of questions.

Pete

Old May 23rd 05, 06:56 AM
Telamon

In article
,
"Pete KE9OA" wrote:

Hi Lucky,

They would be talking about the AC level across 222 ohms; there
wouldn't be any DC there. If you do have any questions for me, it
would be fine to e-mail me directly. There are quite a few
knowledgeable folks on the NG, so it is good to include all of them
with these kinds of questions.

Snip

Most knowledgeable people, at least the "lucky" ones, have him kill
filed.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 23rd 05, 01:29 PM
Lucky

"Lucky" ) writes:
[...]

Hi Pete

I wasn't sure if I should e-mail you directly since you never gave me
permission to do so. Yes, I should of just posed it as an open question for
everyone to answer. I wanted run a LED off the power from the radio.

Right now I'm using a 3v w/wart PSU for a 5v super bright blue LED. In fact,
I don't need a resistor for it. Works just great but I was looking to make
it more compact and eliminate the PSU. I really don't want to go inside the
receiver to tap a line for it. But I might in the future.

Thanks
Lucky

Old May 23rd 05, 04:59 PM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Lucky,

You are welcome to e-mail me directly any time. I get quite a few e-mails
each week, and I am happy to answer them.
I am not sure if you want to use the LED for a backlight. If so, there is a
company in Youngsville, Ohio, called Lumitex.
They manufacture fiber optic panel illuminators of the type that is used in
the Drake SW-8.
They were nice enough to send me a 1 by 3 inch unit. I ordered a red one.
Basically, it consists of a fiber optic panel that fans out to a bundle of
fibers, of which the end has a coupler / ferrule that is terminated by a
high brightness LED.
Removing the foil backing from the LCD is not for the faint of heart, but if
you are careful you can do it.
After this step comes the hard part..........this is removing the layer of
adhesive that was originally on the foil backing.
I used Goo-Gone, a citrus based cleaner. It takes about 2 to 3 hours to
complete this task. It was worth the effort, but I wouldn't want to do it
again. The LCD is very fragile and easy to break.

Pete

Old May 23rd 05, 06:52 PM
Lucky

"Lucky" ) writes:
[...]

Yes I use it as a backlight in the night. It works great. I fold the wires
and tuck them into the headphone hole. Then, use the long metal legs of the
LED to bend it towards the display. It really works very well. I thought I
had it made in the shade if I could get power right from the phone jack. I
figured I'd just plug it in and...

But no, life can't be that easy

Lucky

Old May 24th 05, 05:22 AM
Pete KE9OA

Let me know if you feel brave enough to install a backlight and I can talk
you through the process. That was my only objection with that
unit..............I couldn't see it at night.
I think that is my favorite Lowe receiver.............a keeper!

Pete