Old May 5th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default WSRF/WSHE-FM Ft. Lauderdale

When I was a kid living in Belle Glade FL I did everything I could to bring
in SHE on my stereo... I even ran lines out to the TV aerial so I could pick
it up. I loved that station. There was nothing closer that was like it.

Years later, 1996, I was hired as one of the first jocks when they had
changed the format to what later become known as Hot AC. Back then it was
described to me as a kind of "alternative rock for women." It was actually
pretty cool. Of course, they dropped the SHE moniker and call letters and
changed it to WPLL "Planet Radio." I was there until 1999. During that
time Clear Channel bought it from Paxson and turned it into a VERY
mainstream AC (Billy Joel, Elton John, Rod Stewart every hour). I left when
they finally blew it up and turned it into rhythmic oldies. While I was
there I did afternoons and was the APD, working with first Dave Stewart and
then Y-100's Rob Roberts.

Three different studios during that time -- Davie, then North Miami, and
finally to Ft Lauderdale.

Archer
WSTF (WVRI) Orlando 1988-1993
WJRR Orlando 1993-1996
WPLL Miami 1996-1999
KBIG Los Angeles 1999-2006
Dial Global Los Angeles 2006-present

"John Mayson" wrote in message
CWT wrote:
I used to work at WSRF and WSHE-FM in Ft Lauderdale in the late 1970's.
WSRF was rock and then country while I was there. WSHE went from
progressive rock to soft rock to progressive to Corporate rock while I
was there. Some of the people I worked with were Tom Judge, Micky
Milner, John and Barbara Emm, Tom Webb, Cory James, Dan Carlisle, Jim
White, Ron Brothers, Nancy Gettle, and Buzz Kilman. Anyone out there
know what became of these folks? Does anyone remember WSHE during its
punk-rock heyday in 1978-9?

Shortly before I left central Florida in the late-90's, Paxton (I think)
had transfered the WSHE callsign to WDIZ in Orlando and created "radio
for women". They had "cutsie" bumpers like: "If we can put a man on the
moon, why can't we put them all there?"

I used to joke that WPMS would've been a better callsign.

I loved WSHE. Is it back? 100.3 in Orlando is now WRUM, a
Spanish-language station.

--
John Mayson
Austin, Texas, USA