Old April 8th 11, 04:52 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default WHLO studio picture

The link below is supposed to be a picture of the WHLO studio in the mid
60's. Can anyone confirm this, the year, and who the DJ is?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/radio_d...02890/sizes/l/

I have my doubts. Most radio stations have some sort of banner and logo
that is displayed for any pictures, which I don't see. I also doubt
that the picture was mid 60's because continuous loop tapes were in use
in the early 60's, and there are none to be seen. Finally, all the
coffee suggests that this was a late-night or over-night shift, which
WHLO didn't have.

Dave,

Old April 10th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Dave Boland wrote:

I have my doubts. Most radio stations have some sort of banner and logo
that is displayed for any pictures, which I don't see.

Many stations never had mic flags. And those that did often used them only
for remotes, not in-studio. I can think of a number of stations I worked for
that never had mic flags at all.

I also doubt
that the picture was mid 60's because continuous loop tapes were in use
in the early 60's, and there are none to be seen.

As late as 1965 there were stations that still used open reel tapes for spots.
I can remember visiting KDAC in Fort Bragg California. Their spots were live
or on 3 or 5-inch reels. In those days the Fidelipac system was still under
patent, and thus was expensive to buy. So, lots of smaller stations just made
do without until they couldn't hold out any longer.

Finally, all the
coffee suggests that this was a late-night or over-night shift, which
WHLO didn't have.

Not necessarily, either. Radio stations were known for having few perqs, but
one perq nearly every station had where I ever worked was the coffee pot.

While you're attempting good detective work, none of the things you mention
point to a fraudulent photo. Now, I haven't seen the photo and I know nothing
about WHLO, but I'm just basing this on my experience.

Old April 10th 11, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

"Dave Boland" wrote in message
The link below is supposed to be a picture of the WHLO studio in the mid
60's. Can anyone confirm this, the year, and who the DJ is?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/radio_d...02890/sizes/l/

I have my doubts. Most radio stations have some sort of banner and logo
that is displayed for any pictures, which I don't see. I also doubt that
the picture was mid 60's because continuous loop tapes were in use in the
early 60's, and there are none to be seen. Finally, all the coffee
suggests that this was a late-night or over-night shift, which WHLO didn't
have.

Dave,

Cart storage: lower left

Cart decks: portions of two showing middle left

Old April 11th 11, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Spammy wrote:
"Dave Boland" wrote in message
The link below is supposed to be a picture of the WHLO studio in the mid
60's. Can anyone confirm this, the year, and who the DJ is?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/radio_d...02890/sizes/l/

I have my doubts. Most radio stations have some sort of banner and logo
that is displayed for any pictures, which I don't see. I also doubt that
the picture was mid 60's because continuous loop tapes were in use in the
early 60's, and there are none to be seen. Finally, all the coffee
suggests that this was a late-night or over-night shift, which WHLO didn't
have.

Dave,

Cart storage: lower left

Cart decks: portions of two showing middle left

That looks like air vents to a reel to reel unit, and the thing that
looks like a cart looks too long to be one. Still, it could be. The
units I remember at WHLO (newer studios in Fairlawn) were to the left of
the console and were a stack of 4 I think. Of course, that was a quick
glance from the late 60's, so I could be wrong.

Oh, and thanks for the analysis David Kaye.

Dave,

Old April 11th 11, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

dave wrote:

That looks like air vents to a reel to reel unit, and the thing that
looks like a cart looks too long to be one. Still, it could be.

I'm looking at a blowup of the photo now. Those are definitely carts with
white labels on them, with some kind of writing on them. At the left on the
label is a red splotch that looks like a logo or maybe a number. To the left
of the label is a patch of blue. In those days Fidelipac carts came in blue.

Also, to the left of the left turntable is clearly a cart with the tape side
turned toward the viewer. Fidelipacs had 3 holes, one for the capstan, one
for the record head, and one for the playback head.

The brushed aluminum chairs definitely look of the era.

The label on the record the DJ is cuing up is Laurie Records of NYC, which was
very big in the late 50s/early 60s, but changed their label by the mid-60s.

Old April 11th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

David Kaye wrote:
dave wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the second look. My guess is that you really know your way
around a radio studio! I've enjoyed your insight.

Moving forward a few decades, the radio studio of today is sooo
different. No turntables or cart machines or even notes above the
control board -- just a computer screen. Of course, the other thing
that is (usually) gone is the DJ. Replaced by voice tracking. Isn't
progress wonderful?

Thanks again.

Dave,

Old April 12th 11, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Dave Boland wrote:

Ah, McRadio. That is why I have a mp3 player -- can't stand radio
today. Thanks to the programmers and Clear Channel. Oh well.

CC just plays what the people want. For many years they operated a
website called the Format Lab, which had a bunch of test formats. Judging by
the length of time a user listened, where they were located, and any other
demographic info they could get, they took listenership into consideration
when deploying new formats on their stations.

Contrary to popular belief, you can't just do a seat of your pants format.
First, too much money is involved; second, it's too easy to alienate an
audience by playing the wrong thing. Thus, the stations that actually have
ratings to all they can to test songs and DJs before putting them into their
programming mix.

Old April 12th 11, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

In article ,
dave wrote:

Moving forward a few decades, the radio studio of today is sooo
different. No turntables or cart machines or even notes above the
control board -- just a computer screen. Of course, the other thing
that is (usually) gone is the DJ. Replaced by voice tracking. Isn't
progress wonderful?

Actually, the tools today are better than they have ever been. What used
to be a mountain of effort to produce has become unbelievably easy and
fast to do. If I do say so myself, one of my stations has probably one
of the most beautiful control rooms in the industry. Indeed, there are
no mountains of cart machines, no turntables taking up countertop space,
and of course no tape recording equipment of any kind. The sight lines
are clean, and the sweeping view of Mt. Diablo from the building's top
floor is breath-taking. It certainly is not the quintessential radio
facility as pictured by an old-timer (such as myself) in radio.

But for all of its traditional-trapping shortcomings, the talent can
simultaneously do production and do a live radio show. It isn't the
voice tracking that is evil (virtually all stations have it, even those
that are "live"); it is simply a tool to increase productivity.

What you are bemoaning should not be the advancements in technology, but
the decline in creativity and the advancement of laziness. I wonder if
part of the charm of "the old days" was the fact that doing *anything*
was a monumental chore. Now that we can do all of that and more in a
walk, no one much cares about doing it at all.

I was musing just today about how easy (and cheap) it is now to do a
full remote broadcast from anywhere in the world, and yet no one seems
to be interested in remotes anymore. [irony on] Too much work, I guess!
[irony off]

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400

Old April 12th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

"John Higdon" wrote in message

In article ,
dave wrote:

But for all of its traditional-trapping shortcomings, the talent can
simultaneously do production and do a live radio show. It isn't the
voice tracking that is evil (virtually all stations have it, even those
that are "live"); it is simply a tool to increase productivity.

I know of one who does a request show from his home studio via
voice-tracking. The station's request line is forwarded to his house, he
takes and records the calls, cuts and edits the voice tracks, and sends them
via high-speed internet to the station's automation system, which he also
can control remotely, and changes the playlist and inserts the tracks as
needed. The calls and requests are delayed by mere minutes.

In my little part-time-just-for-fun gig, which is always "live," I will
sometimes use voice-tracking to do a complicated bit in a break. That way
there's no danger of "blowing it" live. If I screw up, I just re-do it. I
usually don't work more than about ten minutes ahead. I can also give
myself a lunch break mid-shift, by recording a few tracks.

Today's computerized automation systems not only increase productivity, they
can be used (in the right hands) to increase creativity.

Mark Howell

Old April 12th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

John Higdon wrote:
In article ,
dave wrote:

[...]

Excellent points. Speaking of remotes, most stations use a cell phone.
It is difficult for me to watch a radio personality wait for the
program cue ("...and now, live and remote..."), then they talk into a
cell phone until the automation takes back control. Contrast that to
the 60's when the radio station had a dedicated broadcast line, a Sparta
board, and a live board operator at the station. Yes, it is easier this
way, but TV diners are easier than a good meal too.

By the way, WHLO was one of the kings of remotes. They did a lot of
them in the 60's. Car dealers, restaurants, furniture stores,
exhibitions, amusement park, department stores, etc.

One other point that I'm hearing a lot -- there is no money in radio
unless one is in a major market. Thus, creative people go elsewhere,
and the remote is as cheap as possible. Elaborate jingles -- gone.
News coverage 24/365 -- gone. Good radio personality 24 hrs. -- gone.

Thank goodness for the mp3 player. It is as good as radio is today.

Dave,

Best $40 studio mic Steve CB 5 July 2nd 08 05:54 AM
Studio Links 25.9 Mhz FM Bob Loblaw Shortwave 24 July 22nd 07 05:45 PM
News from STUDIO DX Studio DX- AWR Shortwave 0 December 13th 03 01:12 PM
"Studio DX" new web page Studio DX - AWR Shortwave 1 July 24th 03 03:59 PM
Studio DX on AWR next Sunday Studio DX - AWR Shortwave 0 July 18th 03 05:53 PM