Old April 17th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
ckj ckj is offline

Default Pacifica Radio - WBAI 99.5 - An unfortunate Fundraising Experience . . .

I don't agree about volunteering. I tried this many years ago. The
station was not a Pacifica - but these "public radio" stations are all
cut from the same cloth. They are run by extreme left-wing elitists and
you have to be a part of their clique. Thank goodness for the internet
where anyone can run their own "radio station", so what do you need
"public" radio/cable access t.v. for? On a higher level, these state
"public radio" networks are even worse - there's nothing "public" about
them. The "public" can volunteer - yeah, only to answer phones during
Pledge Week. These are "non profit" operations that pay out good sized
salaries and they are run like a commercial venture, only they have the
benefit of getting all kinds of outside funding and they don't have to
pay taxes. Then you have Minnesota Public Radio and some others that
are also operators of for-profit enterprises which fuel the non-profit
side and keep the CEO's in the chips. I think the original complaint
here about simply answering their phones is quite valid. If they are too
lazy, incompetent, or short staffed to even do that . . . well, you know
the rest

In article ,
(David Kaye) wrote:

ChrisCoaster wrote:

It is all but impossible to reach a human being at WBAI through any
of
their phone numbers.

Maybe you should go visit their studios and offer to help answer phones.
You're right that Pacifica operates on a shoestring. Here in the SF Bay Area
where Pacifica began in 1949 KPFA has always been one step from disaster.
That's the way it works with this kind of radio.

So, GO VOLUNTEER your time to help out WBAI. They'll appreciate it.

Old April 17th 11, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

ckj wrote:

I don't agree about volunteering. I tried this many years ago. The
station was not a Pacifica - but these "public radio" stations are all
cut from the same cloth. They are run by extreme left-wing elitists and
you have to be a part of their clique.

There is NOTHING wrong with elitism. Now, think about it. Don't YOU want to
be part of a special club? Don't you get the chills when someone gives you a
free ticket to a show or someone gets you a special discount on tires or
something, or lets you into a special place others aren't supposed to go?

Of COURSE you want to be elite. You want to think of yourself as extra
special. You want to be in that club that few others can get into. It's the
American way, and all that.

Now there's a difference between a liberal education and being a liberal.
HOWEVER, the two do go hand in hand because when you're exposed to more
education you can't help but become more liberal.

This is why seacoast towns and college towns are usually more liberal than
inland towns and places without colleges. People get exposed to people from
other lands. They're exposed to other ideas. They tend to grow and become
more accepting of the idea that there are other ways of living, and that these
other way can sometimes be better than we we're already doing.

As to the programming on non-comm stations, once you get into the station and
get accepted by its staff you can help fashion the station into what you want
to hear.

And the result can be quite conservative, too. This is why some non-comm
radio stations specialize in things like classical music, or 1930s Tin Pan
Alley music, etc. NPR shows such as "Performance Today", "Record Shelf", and
others exist because of the conservative bent of some listeners and station
programmers.

Old April 20th 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Seriously, I've had this dream for as long as I can remember about
doing what Imus did.

But you've got to start in Stockton, a fate I don't wish on anybody.

Old April 20th 11, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

(David Kaye) wrotf:

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Seriously, I've had this dream for as long as I can remember about
doing what Imus did.

But you've got to start in Stockton, a fate I don't wish on anybody.

Yeah. I made my radio debut in Stockton and look what happened to me.

Norm

Old April 21st 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

wrote:

Yeah. I made my radio debut in Stockton and look what happened to me.

Yeah, but you blew 'em away in the announcing Joe McConnell department. It
just hasn't been the same since.

Old April 28th 11, 01:09 PM
Junior Member

Location: United States

Hello,
Once you get into the station and get accepted by its staff you can help fashion the station into what you want to hear....!!!
Regards,
Johnson.