Old November 17th 16, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Wednesday 16 November 2016

RadioInsight

KDGE Dallas Drops Alternative After 27 Years

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...fter-27-years/

After 27 years in the Alternative format, iHeartMedia has pulled the plug
on 102.1 The Edge KDGE Dallas.

The station is now stunting with a loop of Semisonics Closing Time and REMs
End Of The World As We Know It while directing listeners to sister Rock
97.1 The Eagle KEGL proclaiming The Sound Of 102.1 The Edge Has Moved To
97.1 The Eagle. A new format will debut on 102.1 on Thursday, November 17
at 5:00pm.

The final songs on the station were Foo Fighters All My Life and Fitz The
Tantrums Out Of My League. KDGE ranked 21st in the market with a 2.1 share
in the October 2016 Nielsen Audio ratings. KEGL was 13th with a 3.1.

KDGE launched in 1989 on 94.5 and moved to 102.1 in 2000 when the 94.5
frequency was sold to Radio One.

More Details Fortcoming

Sean Ross: How Songs Start, Part II

http://www.goenvisionnetworks.com/20...start-part-ii/

Dick Taylor: Time to think differently about how you find, train & grow
radio talent

https://dicktaylorblog.com/2016/11/1...time-learning/

Rob Roberts Named Cumulus VP/Hot AC; Louie Diaz Q100 Atlanta PD

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...00-atlanta-pd/

Two Cumulus Media programmers are swapping stations as Rob Roberts is
promoted to Vice President/Hot AC for the company.

As part of his promotion Roberts will relocate to Washington DC and add
day-to-day PD duties for Hot AC Mix 107.3 WRQX. Louie Diaz, who has
programmed WRQX for the past year, will head to Atlanta as Operations
Manager for the market and PD of CHR Q100 99.7 WWWQ.

Roberts joined then 100.5 WWWQ and Alternative 99X WNNX in May 2006 as
Operations Manager. He added PD duties for Q100 stations in January 2008
ahead of its frequency swap and flip of WNNX to Rock. Prior to joining
Cumulus he spent eleven years as PD of Clear Channel CHR Y100 WHYI Miami
and as Regional VP/Programming for the company. Diaz joined WRQX last
November upon its flip back from CHR to Hot AC. He has also programmed
Cumulus “Hot 93.3” KLIF-FM Dallas and Alpha Media CHR “Live 95.5” KBFF and
Country “98.7 The Bull” KUPL Portland.

Cumulus Media announces that it has named Louie Diaz, current Program
Director of WRQX in Washington, D.C., to Operations Manager, Cumulus
Media-Atlanta and Program Director of WWWQ in Atlanta, GA. Rob Roberts,
current Operations Manager, Cumulus Media-Atlanta and Program Director of
WWWQ, will move to WRQX/Washington, DC as Program Director and will also
assume the newly created role of Vice President/Hot AC at the corporate
programming level.

Mike McVay, Senior Vice President, Content Programming, Cumulus Media and
Westwood One, said: “We’re fortunate to be able to tap the great brains
inside of Cumulus programming and apply the theory of “Highest and Best
Use” to their skills and match them with where they can be most effective.
Rob brings a wealth of experience to our Corporate Programming platform and
a fresh set of eyes for WRQX. Louie has done a great job with WRQX and his
fresh vision on Q100 will provide even greater upside to an already
successful station.”

Sean Shannon, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Media-Atlanta said:
““For 10 years Q100 has thrived under Rob’s programming leadership. He
leaves Q100 in a market leading position and his shoes are definitely big
ones to fill. Louie’s passion for the format and track record of success
promise a bright future for Q100.”

*

Jake McCann, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Media- Washington, D.C.
said: “We are going to miss Louie Diaz who oversaw the triumphant return of
The Jack Diamond Morning Show and Mix to Washington DC. Rob Roberts is one
of the best PD’s in the business and we are excited to work with him as MIX
continues its rise.”*

*

Roberts said: “After two decades of working with Mike, he asked if I was up
for more. Everyone should be so lucky. This new opportunity is a unique
chance to continue forging a great path for WRQX and The Jack Diamond
Morning Show while allowing me to work with other great stations in
Cumulus. I am excited o join Dave Milner and Jake McCann’s team in D.C. In
Atlanta, I’ve had some of the greatest experiences of my life and I will
always pull for Q100 and the cluster to continue to shine brightly. But
moving forward to one of the most dynamic radio stations and cities in
America is a chance that has to be grabbed.*We’re going to have a lot of
fun.”

Diaz said: “I am excited and grateful for this opportunity.*Our Atlanta
cluster has legendary stations with great talent on and off air. Thank you
to Mike McVay, Jeff Brown, and Sean Shannon. I am looking forward to
joining the Cumulus/Atlanta team and getting to work with Q100 and our
Atlanta stations.”

WAMU Tabs Joshua Johnson To Replace Diane Rehm

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ce-diane-rehm/

American Universitys 88.5 WAMU Washington DC and NPR have named Joshua
Johnson as the replacement for the Diane Rehm show.

The new program, to be titled 1A will air from 10am-12pm eastern starting
Monday, January 2. The 36 year-old Johnson comes to WAMU from 88.5 KQED-FM
San Francisco where he spent five years as morning newscaster before
launching Truth Be Told, a special radio series/podcast dedicated to race
in America earlier this year. Rupert Allman will serve as Executive
Producer for 1A after previously leading The Takeaway.

NPR describes the new program as exploring important issues such as policy,
politics, technology, and what connects us across the fissures that divide
the country. The program also will delve into lighter subjects such as pop
culture, sports, and humor. On air, online, and on demand, 1A launches at a
time of deep national reckoning. The show will act as a national mirror –
taking time to help America look at itself and to ask what it wants to be.
Produced in America’s capital but in touch with communities across the
country, 1A takes advantage of the world’s most dynamic thinkers to examine
the complex issues facing us all—with a focus on solutions.

The 80 year-old Rehm will host her final show after 37 years on December
23. She announced her intention to retire at the end of 2016 last year.

WAMU is thrilled to announce a new show for a changing America. 1A is a
live two-hour daily national radio program hosted by Joshua Johnson, who
brings to the airwaves a smart fresh voice with curiosity and empathy,
convening a daily conversation about the most important issues of our time.

Distributed by NPR, 1A launches live on Monday, January 2, 2017 at 10 a.m.
EST. Designed to succeed the iconic The Diane Rehm Show, and maintain the
core values that made Diane’s show treasured by millions, 1A will provide
deep conversation about the thorniest issues of our times delivered with
insight, intimacy, and personality. 1A builds on Diane’s legacy of civil
dialogue and analysis, while engaging with audiences when and where they
choose, on the radio and in a daily podcast.

The show will take a deep and unflinching look at America, bringing context
and insight to stories unfolding across the country and the world. Johnson
says, “My professional passions have always centered on creativity,
exploration and service. This moment in history demands these attributes of
us. It’s a chance to tell stories more creatively, to explore ideas beyond
our own, and to refocus on serving others.”

With a name inspired by the 1st amendment, 1A will explore important issues
such as policy, politics, technology, and what connects us across the
fissures that divide the country. The program also will delve into lighter
subjects such as pop culture, sports, and humor. On air, online, and on
demand, 1A launches at a time of deep national reckoning. The show will act
as a national mirror – taking time to help America look at itself and to
ask what it wants to be. Produced in America’s capital but in touch with
communities across the country, 1A takes advantage of the world’s most
dynamic thinkers to examine the complex issues facing us all—with a focus
on solutions.

“There has never been a time in our history where non-ideological and civil
conversation is as important as it is right now, says Jarl Mohn, president
and CEO of NPR. “I am so very hopeful that Joshua Johnson and his new show
1A will continue this tradition and help create the next generation of
public radio for America.”

Host Joshua Johnson is a breakout public media star, most recently
co-creator and host of the provocative nationwide public radio series,
Truth Be Told, which explored race in America. He began his career helping
to launch a unique partnership between Miami’s NPR station, WLRN, and The
Miami Herald. He served for over five years as morning news host for KQED
in San Francisco, where he became one of the station’s stars.

Joshua has a natural affinity for working across media platforms. He
teaches podcasting at the University of California, Berkeley School of
Journalism and frequently moderates public discussions, including a recent
series on equity in the San Francisco Bay Area. He is also an active member
of the National Association of Black Journalists.

“At this moment, our country needs a fresh voice that addresses the
wonderful diversity of our nation,” says Diane Rehm. “Joshua Johnson
represents America’s future and is the right host at the right time.”

1A is produced by a team with a track record of strong journalism and
creativity. It is helmed by Executive Producer Rupert Allman, who led the
daily national news show The Takeaway, hosted by John Hockenberry,
expanding its coverage to 300 public radio stations across the country.
Also helping to create the new show are next-generation public media
innovator Andi McDaniel, WAMU’s head of content, and WAMU’s general manager
JJ Yore, who helped create, and for more than two decades ran, the iconic
Marketplace public radio programs.

Allman has recruited an impressive and diverse supporting cast to the 1A
production team, including producers from The Diane Rehm Show and from
media companies across the country.

Listeners can talk directly with the show’s creators and staff, and by
emailing .

WAMU 88.5 is licensed to American University and is the public radio NPR
news and information station in the greater Washington, D.C., area.

Maine Public Acquires WRMO

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...acquires-wrmo/

Maine Public has acquired Soft AC 93.7 The Wave WRMO Milbridge/Bar Harbor
ME from Charles Begins Pine Tree Broadcasting for $150,000.

WRMO will flip to Maine Publics Classical network on December 1. The Soft
AC format will continue on 1230 WGUY Veazie/94.1 W231CH Bangor although
morning host Paul Dupuis has announced he has exited as of last Friday.

Maine Public Classical also airs on 91.5 WFYB Fryeburg and translators in
Bangor, Portland and Waterville.

Mike Miller Joins Z104.3 Baltimore As PD

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ltimore-as-pd/

iHeartMedia has promoted Mike Miller to Program Director of CHR Z104.3 WZFT
Baltimore.

Miller has programmed 99.3 Kiss-FM WHKF Harrisburg PA since 2011 as well as
hosting afternoons. His entire career has been spent with Clear
Channel/iHeartMedia between FM 97 WLAN-FM Lancaster, two runs at WHKF, and
two years at Z100 KKRZ Portland.

Miller fills the vacancy created by Rob Kruzs transfer to 93.3 WFLZ Tampa
last month.

iHeartMedia announced today that Mike Miller has been named Program
Director and afternoon drive host for Z 104.3, Baltimore’s #1 Hit Music
Station, effective December 12, 2016. Z 104.3 has a strong cross-platform
presence and broadcasts several popular personalities including the Kane
Show.

iHeartMedia has massive consumer reach and influence across multiple
platforms and delivers more live programming than any other media company,
and Miller will be responsible for day-to-day programming operations for Z
104.3. He will work closely with on-air personalities and sales to oversee
the stations on-air content, digital footprint and music programming.

Miller began his career at 16 at WLAN-FM in Lancaster, PA, and – at
18-years-old – helped launch iHeartMedia Harrisburg’s 99.3 KISS FM in 2001.
He most recently served as Program Director and PM drive host for 99.3 KISS
FM. Miller’s over 17 years of experience in the radio industry also
includes serving as Assistant Program Director and afternoon on-air
personality for KKRZ-FM in iHeartMedia’s Portland market.

“We look forward to having Mike join our Washington, D.C./Baltimore team,”
said Meg Stevens, Executive Vice President of Programming for iHeartMedia’s
Northeast Division. “He is an exceptional on-air talent and leader, which
makes him the perfect choice to lead Z 104.3.”

“Through the years, I’ve been lucky enough to work with some amazing people
in this industry and have learned so much from them,” said Miller. “I’m
ready to take all of these years of learning and growing and continue that
trend in Baltimore. Being able to work with the Baltimore/Washington, D.C.
team is a dream come true.”