Old July 22nd 03, 01:08 AM
Rich Wood

Furthermore, 930 WPAT is a hodge-podge of time-brokered ethnic
programming, and 1480 WZRC is all-Chinese.

Don't forget that the New York Metropolitan area often has more people
of a particular ethnic group than their naive counties have. The WPATs
of the world are the only place where they can find programming that
speaks to them. They lost their major outlet (WEVD) to make room for
the third all sports station in the city.

New York has a larger Chinese population than most cities have people.
I believe WZRC is Korean.

It was a tremendous improvement in the cultural life of the city. The
only sports figure I've seen who makes any sense is Yogi Berra. "When
you see a fork in the road, take it." How can you go wrong with that?

If you were to see a man on the street patting his male companion on
the butt, what would you think? If you saw one of them bent over with
the other with his hands between his companion's legs, what would you
think? There are no women around. Yet we spend billions to watch
allegedly heterosexual men do the same thing on TV.

Strange.

Rich

Old July 22nd 03, 04:03 PM
keep-it-clean

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message

The FCC has an official modulation type for dimmer noise, A6 or something.

As
a format it manages about a 2.3 share if you don't pack it with too many
commercials.
--

Dimmer noise has more listeners than Imus does (not that difficult to
achieve, now that I think about it) ---- and certainly is much more

Old July 23rd 03, 02:22 AM
WBRW

Don't forget that the New York Metropolitan area often has more people
of a particular ethnic group than their naive counties have.

That must be why we have TWO stations with primarily Russian-language
programming (620 WSNR & 1380 WKDM), and if you count a simulcast, TWO
stations with all-Polish programming (910 WRKL & 1580 WLIM). But yet,
the nation's #1 music format, Country, does not exist on the air
within 50 miles of NYC. Yes, yes, yes, people say that there simply
aren't that many country music fans within the City itself, and
they're correct -- but any decent NYC-area signal will cover plenty of
the surrounding suburban areas were there *are* many country fans.
"Y-107" proved this, with its lousy-ass signal getting better ratings
-- even within the NYC market itself -- than what "Barbie Radio" is
getting on a full-power heritage NYC FM station.

They lost their major outlet (WEVD) to make room for the third all sports
station in the city.

Well, *second* all-sports station, since 620 WSNR is now only
"Sporting Radio News" when it feels like it. (Strange, but true -- a
"flagship" station that doesn't carry its own network's programming
most of the time.)

If you were to see a man on the street patting his male companion on
the butt, what would you think? If you saw one of them bent over with
the other with his hands between his companion's legs, what would you
think? There are no women around. Yet we spend billions to watch
allegedly heterosexual men do the same thing on TV.

Umm... not that I disagree with you, but what does this have to do
with radio?

However, since you got me thinking, could this be the reason why
soccer has never been popular in America... because it's not
homoerotic enough? :-)

Strange.

....but true.

Old July 23rd 03, 02:22 AM
Ron Hardin

keep-it-clean wrote:

The FCC has an official modulation type for dimmer noise, A6 or something.

As
a format it manages about a 2.3 share if you don't pack it with too many
commercials.
--

Dimmer noise has more listeners than Imus does (not that difficult to
achieve, now that I think about it) ---- and certainly is much more
entertaining.

Not around me. When a neighbor installs a dimmer, I offer to buy him a better one.
The upscale Lutron stuff ($30 and up, not their cheaper stuff) has enough filtering
stages to suppress RFI in a neighbor's house. Installed in your own house, they're still detectable
on the AM band.

I also buy touch lamps.
--
Ron Hardin

Old July 23rd 03, 04:03 PM
Garrett Wollman

In article , WBRW wrote:

Well, *second* all-sports station, since 620 WSNR is now only
"Sporting Radio News" when it feels like it. (Strange, but true -- a
"flagship" station that doesn't carry its own network's programming
most of the time.)

Word on the street is that Paul Allen is desperate to find a greater
fool to take the station off his hands. That's why they're brokering
it out -- it wasn't making them anything running SNR, and they want to
get it billing *something* in order to get a decent sale price. (Is
Arthur Liu full up yet?) I think the last SNR O&O that is still
running SNR programming full-time is WWZN Boston, and rumors are
swirling over programming changes there, too. (And Boston probably
costs as much to run as Newark does, thanks to some poor decisions
made by a previous Greater Fool.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
| generation can invoke its principles in their own
Opinions not those of| search for greater freedom.
MIT, LCS, CRS, or NSA| - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. ___ (2003)

Old July 23rd 03, 04:03 PM
Rich Wood

On 23 Jul 2003 01:22:44 GMT, (WBRW) wrote:

But yet,
the nation's #1 music format, Country, does not exist on the air
within 50 miles of NYC. Yes, yes, yes, people say that there simply
aren't that many country music fans within the City itself, and
they're correct -- but any decent NYC-area signal will cover plenty of
the surrounding suburban areas were there *are* many country fans.

I don't believe they're correct. WYNY had some pretty decent numbers
as a Country station, if I remember correctly. I think there's a great
opportunity for Country here. I believe it's a sales and ego problem.
If I owned WLIE on Long Island it would go country in a heartbeat.

If you were to see a man on the street patting his male companion on
the butt, what would you think? If you saw one of them bent over with
the other with his hands between his companion's legs, what would you
think? There are no women around. Yet we spend billions to watch
allegedly heterosexual men do the same thing on TV.

Umm... not that I disagree with you, but what does this have to do
with radio?

However, since you got me thinking, could this be the reason why
soccer has never been popular in America... because it's not
homoerotic enough? :-)

I really has more to do with TV. Actually, Soccer is very homoerotic.
They wear skimpy shorts and often get them pulled down during play.
Soccer players seem more physically comfortable with each other than
American players. They don't seem to care what anybody thinks.

Lately, it seems American players have to abuse or rape women to show
their heteroseuality. I was going to say manhood but real men don't
rape women..

Rich

Old July 23rd 03, 07:17 PM
David Eduardo

"Garrett Wollman" wrote in message
In article , WBRW

wrote:

Well, *second* all-sports station, since 620 WSNR is now only
"Sporting Radio News" when it feels like it. (Strange, but true -- a
"flagship" station that doesn't carry its own network's programming
most of the time.)

Word on the street is that Paul Allen is desperate to find a greater
fool to take the station off his hands. That's why they're brokering
it out -- it wasn't making them anything running SNR, and they want to
get it billing *something* in order to get a decent sale price.

Below certain billing levels, the value of stations like this is based, like
lobsters in a restaurant, on "makret price." No sane person would keep the
current programming, so billing is not material. The old day formula of 2.5
times billig or 8-10 times BCF are long gone.

Example: inferior, basin-floor limited Class B KFSG (now KXOL-FM) in LA with
no billing and a must-change format: $250 million.

Old July 24th 03, 05:19 PM
Cooperstown.Net

"David Eduardo" wrote in message =
=20
Below certain billing levels, the value of stations like this is =

based, like
lobsters in a restaurant, on "makret price." No sane person would keep =

the
current programming, so billing is not material. The old day formula =

of 2.5
times billig or 8-10 times BCF are long gone.
=20
Example: inferior, basin-floor limited Class B KFSG (now KXOL-FM) in =

LA with
no billing and a must-change format: $250 million.

I'm archiving this message and will trot it out whenever you good =
radio folks argue from the Bakersfield Theory...the theory that radio is =
spread too thin because the government allows too much competition for a =
limited audience. Here is a station that has neither a service to offer =
nor a profit until it meets the monthly nut on $250 million. The =
station is correctly priced on its perceived potential, irrespective of =
its actual billing...and yet Bakersfielders would have us believe that =
listener service would be enhanced if only the FCC would engineer =
greater scarcity for the benefit of the owners.

Jerome

Old July 24th 03, 05:19 PM
CA was in NJ

David Eduardo wrote:

Example: inferior, basin-floor limited Class B KFSG (now KXOL-FM) in LA with
no billing and a must-change format: $250 million.

Any chance they'd be willing to "sell" their callsign?

Old July 24th 03, 07:47 PM
David Eduardo

"CA was in NJ"
SHOT_ON_SIGHT wrote in
message ...
David Eduardo wrote:

Example: inferior, basin-floor limited Class B KFSG (now KXOL-FM) in LA

with
no billing and a must-change format: $250 million.

Any chance they'd be willing to "sell" their callsign?

Doubt it. They paid money to get consent form the Utah X-band station to get
it. It stands for "El Sol 96.3" which is the station name; in Mexico, "X" is
pronounced almost like an "S."