Old September 30th 03, 05:55 AM
Sheellah

Default How to improve reception

I'm trying to get the Coast to Coast show, but because I'm in a highrise
surrounded by concrete, I get no AM reception. I just get static and a hum. Can
an antenna be hooked up to the radio that would end outside my window to pick
up the signal? There is also a building on one side, but it is clear for quite
a bit outside my window. Can anyone please help? Please also e-mail, if kind
enough to respond. Thanks!

Old October 3rd 03, 04:34 AM
Blue Cat

"Sheellah" wrote in message
I'm trying to get the Coast to Coast show, but because I'm in a highrise
surrounded by concrete, I get no AM reception. I just get static and a

hum. Can
an antenna be hooked up to the radio that would end outside my window to

pick
up the signal? There is also a building on one side, but it is clear for

quite
a bit outside my window. Can anyone please help? Please also e-mail, if

kind
enough to respond. Thanks!

If you can get access to any location outside your apartment try an active
antenna. Such a device consists of a high gain rf amplifier and a 2 to 3
foot long whip. Go to Grove Enteprises' web site www.grove-ent.com

Old October 3rd 03, 04:36 AM
Ron Hardin

Sheellah wrote:

I'm trying to get the Coast to Coast show, but because I'm in a highrise
surrounded by concrete, I get no AM reception. I just get static and a hum. Can
an antenna be hooked up to the radio that would end outside my window to pick
up the signal? There is also a building on one side, but it is clear for quite
a bit outside my window. Can anyone please help? Please also e-mail, if kind
enough to respond. Thanks!

There's two effects to be overcome.

1. Your radio is not sensitive enough, in which case it can be fixed by a MW loop
(Select-a-tenna or Terk MW loop are the two easily obtainable; get the passive
(cheap) versions, not the active ones; the cheap ones run $40-$60, a huge profit
margin but worth it after you consider doing it yourself having to scrounge
materials and pack it neatly.)

A MW loop impedance matches the radio's internal loop antenna to free space
and raises the sensitivity of most radios enough so that external noise is
louder than internal noise, which is to say no radio will be more sensitive.
All will hear the same noise no matter how much more sensitive they're made,
at that point.

That may be enough to hear your station.

2. Which brings up the second effect, you're surrounded by noise-making devices
like dimmers, in which case you'll only hear them more clearly rather than the
station you want. Other than aiming the radio (and MW loop if you got one) so
as to minimize that noise, and aiming matters a great deal so try it, there's
nothing you can do short of moving the radio or its antenna, if the radio allows
you to attach an external antenna, or if you arrange an external antenna anyway,
which is possible but not described here.

A final alternative is a local FM transmitter: put AM radio and FM transmitter
near a window, and play the AM radio into the FM transmitter. Listen to the FM
transmitter inside the building. CCrane sells them, probably among others.
--
Ron Hardin

Old October 3rd 03, 04:37 AM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , Sheellah wrote:
an antenna be hooked up to the radio that would end outside my window to pick
up the signal? There is also a building on one side, but it is clear for quite

Easiest way: Put the RADIO right there on the windowsill.

Most radios these days don't have connections for AM antennae. They use a
loopstick (powdered iron bar wrapped with fine wire) inside the case to
"pick up" the signal. Good enough for local reception.

Also, go to this website:

http://www.selectatenna.com/

This type of antenna is just a big coil that you tune to match the
frequency your radio is tuned to. No connections. Just sit both of them
next to each other and play with the positioning until you find the spot
that best works for THAT particular station.

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Old October 3rd 03, 04:38 AM
Art Clemons

Sheellah wrote:

I'm trying to get the Coast to Coast show, but because I'm in a
highrise surrounded by concrete, I get no AM reception. I just get
static and a hum. Can an antenna be hooked up to the radio that would
end outside my window to pick up the signal? There is also a building*
on*one*side,*but*it*is*clear*for*quite a bit outside my window.

An antenna outside your highrise isn't likely to do you much good, but
placing a radio with a large ferrite coil/receiving loop in your window
and turning said radio to increase the AM signal might greatly help.
Radio Shack also sells a loop that can increase signals you receive by
coupling to the present loop you have. I assume that you have a decent
radio like for example the approximately $50 GE Super Radio with a
large loop. If you're for example trying to use your stereo or tuner,
it likely lacks a good enough AM antenna

Old October 3rd 03, 04:38 AM
CA was in NJ

Sheellah wrote:

I'm trying to get the Coast to Coast show, but because I'm in a highrise
surrounded by concrete, I get no AM reception. I just get static and a hum.

Shiny side OUT.