Old November 14th 03, 03:14 PM
Bill Robinson

Default Continental Electronics Has a New Owner

"mikehack" wrote in message
Date posted: 2003-11-06
http://www.rwonline.com/dailynews/one.php?id=4115

Continental Electronics Has a New Owner
Broadcast transmitter manufacturer Continental Electronics has a new

owner.

The company has had a varied ownership history. Continental was founded in
1946 by James O. Weldon and later became part of LTV Corp. In 1972, Weldon
bought it back.

Doesn't Continental trace their history back to Collins Radio of Cedar
Rapids. Iowa?

Old November 14th 03, 04:37 PM
John Byrns

In article , "Bill Robinson"
wrote:

"mikehack" wrote in message
Date posted: 2003-11-06
http://www.rwonline.com/dailynews/one.php?id=4115

Continental Electronics Has a New Owner
Broadcast transmitter manufacturer Continental Electronics has a new

owner.

The company has had a varied ownership history. Continental was founded in
1946 by James O. Weldon and later became part of LTV Corp. In 1972, Weldon
bought it back.

Doesn't Continental trace their history back to Collins Radio of Cedar
Rapids. Iowa?

I believe that the Collins broadcast transmitter line was a relatively
recent acquisition, early on the acquired Western Electric's AM
transmitter business, which I think set the tone for their future
transmitter business. The Western Electric divestiture is interesting, I
don't know that anyone picked up the FM line, probably because FM was
going down the tubes at the time? A company whose name I don't remember
seems to have picked up the Western Electric Television transmitter line,
which may never have been sold under the Western Electric name. Anyone
have more info on this?

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/

Old November 15th 03, 04:54 PM
Peter H.

The Western Electric divestiture is interesting, I don't know that anyone
picked up the FM line, probably because FM was going down the tubes at the
time? A company whose name I don't remember seems to have picked up the
Western Electric Television transmitter line, which may never have been sold
under the Western Electric name. Anyone have more info on this?

SEL got WECo's VHF TV transmitter line.

The merger of the Collins line into CE was done many decades after the creation
of CE from the spin-off of WECo's AM line.

CE also made UHF TV transmitters in the 1950s. Whether any of these were WECo
inspired, I can't say. They sure resembled WECo boxes, however.

WECo's non-telco assets were spread all over the place.

Litton Industries, my former employer, bought the Westrex Corporation assets
from WECo, and these assets included all film production equipment, and all
disk recording equipment ... IOW any equipment which handled "principal
recording elements".

Litton also got the Westrex trademark, and began to market this equipment under
the Li/Westrex name, with Westrex Corp itself being a subsidiary of a
supsidiary of Litton Industries, Inc.