Old August 17th 04, 01:12 AM
Mike Terry

Default Is AM Radio Harmful?

By Stephen Leahy
Aug. 16, 2004

Korean scientists have found that regions near AM radio-broadcasting towers
had 70 percent more leukemia deaths than those without.

The study, to be published in an upcoming issue of the International
Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, also found that cancer
deaths were 29 percent higher near such transmitters.
..
Two years ago an Italian study found death rates from leukemia increased
dramatically for residents living within two miles of Vatican Radio's
powerful array of transmitters in Rome.

The Koreans looked at the death rates in 10 regions with AM
radio-transmitting towers broadcasting at more than 100 kilowatts and
compared them with control areas without transmitters. The substantially
higher cancer mortality in those who lived within two kilometers of the
towers led researchers to conclude that more investigation was needed.

However, they also said their study did not prove a direct link between
cancer and the transmitters.

"There have been many studies like these, and they aren't very convincing,"
said Mary McBride, an epidemiologist at the British Columbia Cancer Agency.
Many other factors could have contributed to those cancer rates, said
McBride, who has headed a number of similar studies and found no direct
link.

Equally important is that studies in the lab don't show how radio waves can
produce cancers, she said.
Debate continues over the health effects of radio waves from transmitters,
both large and small, and other forms of electromagnetic fields, including
power lines and microwaves.

Sam Milham, a Seattle-based epidemiologist and a pioneer in
electromagnetic-field research, is convinced there are health effects. "Lots
of research papers from around the world show increased cancers near
transmitters, although TV and FM transmitters are more often implicated."

Moreover, many lab studies show low-frequency EMF disrupt living cells,
Milham asserts. Critics like McBride say such results are often difficult to
reproduce at other labs. Milham says that's because of differences in the
Earth's magnetic field and stray EMF.

In an attempt to settle some of this, California's Department of Health
Services reviewed all the current studies of EMF risks from power lines,
wiring and appliances in 2002. It found no conclusive evidence of harm.
However, links to childhood leukemia, adult brain cancer and Lou Gehrig's
disease could not be ruled out.

"I'm convinced that politics and corporate interests are behind denials
(that say) there are no health effects," said Milham.

Meanwhile, the FDA and the World Health Organization are urging more
studies, especially of radio waves from cell phones.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,...tml?tw=rss.TOP

(See also related stories at the website).

Old August 17th 04, 04:51 AM
Eric C. Weaver

Mike Terry wrote:
By Stephen Leahy
Aug. 16, 2004

Korean scientists have found that regions near AM radio-broadcasting towers
had 70 percent more leukemia deaths than those without.

The study, to be published in an upcoming issue of the International
Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, also found that cancer
deaths were 29 percent higher near such transmitters.

Did anybody check for PCBs and (other) known chemical carcinogens in the
environment?

Old August 17th 04, 04:09 PM
Tim Perry

"Eric C. Weaver" wrote in message
Mike Terry wrote:
By Stephen Leahy
Aug. 16, 2004

Korean scientists have found that regions near AM radio-broadcasting

towers
had 70 percent more leukemia deaths than those without.

probably because there were 70% more people in the areas serviced by radio

in the boonies... people just die, get buried, and not counted

The study, to be published in an upcoming issue of the International
Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, also found that

cancer
deaths were 29 percent higher near such transmitters.

Did anybody check for PCBs and (other) known chemical carcinogens in the
environment?

the Italian study: ONE transmitter, near Rome. that's a statistical
sample? you could probably prove lasagna causes baldness with those
techniques

Old August 17th 04, 10:45 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , Eric C. Weaver wrote:
Mike Terry wrote:
By Stephen Leahy
Aug. 16, 2004

Korean scientists have found that regions near AM radio-broadcasting towers
had 70 percent more leukemia deaths than those without.

The study, to be published in an upcoming issue of the International
Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, also found that cancer
deaths were 29 percent higher near such transmitters.

Did anybody check for PCBs and (other) known chemical carcinogens in the
environment?

Good stuff! We used to have the power company crews pour used PCB oil
on our access roads. Really kept the dust down. Back then, nobody thought
anything that came in drums marked "SAFETY OIL" would turn out to be unsafe.

Probably all the lead contamination in the groundwater from our sweated-
connection radials didn't help either.
--scott

Old August 17th 04, 10:45 PM
Scott Dorsey

Tim Perry wrote:

the Italian study: ONE transmitter, near Rome. that's a statistical
sample? you could probably prove lasagna causes baldness with those
techniques

ALL of my Italian relatives eat lasagna, and they are ALL bald. Even my
Aunt Mary. I demand a Federal grant to study this further.
--scott

Old August 18th 04, 04:54 AM
Mark Roberts

Scott Dorsey had written:
| Eric C. Weaver wrote:
| Mike Terry wrote:
| By Stephen Leahy
| Aug. 16, 2004
|
| Korean scientists have found that regions near AM radio-broadcasting towers
| had 70 percent more leukemia deaths than those without.
|
| The study, to be published in an upcoming issue of the International
| Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, also found that cancer
| deaths were 29 percent higher near such transmitters.
|
| Did anybody check for PCBs and (other) known chemical carcinogens in the
| environment?
|
| Good stuff! We used to have the power company crews pour used PCB oil
| on our access roads. Really kept the dust down. Back then, nobody thought
| anything that came in drums marked "SAFETY OIL" would turn out to be unsafe.

Sounds like you could have had another Times Beach on your hands.

(That was the Missouri town where dioxin-laced waste oil was used
for the same purpose -- and that had to be bought out years later
as a result of contamination.)

--
Mark Roberts |"Some jesters in a British competition described in a page-one
Oakland, Cal.| article last Monday ride on unicycles. The article incorrectly

Old August 18th 04, 03:15 PM
Scott Dorsey

Mark Roberts wrote:
Scott Dorsey writes:
| Good stuff! We used to have the power company crews pour used PCB oil
| on our access roads. Really kept the dust down. Back then, nobody thought
| anything that came in drums marked "SAFETY OIL" would turn out to be unsafe.

Sounds like you could have had another Times Beach on your hands.

(That was the Missouri town where dioxin-laced waste oil was used
for the same purpose -- and that had to be bought out years later
as a result of contamination.)

This was pretty much the case for the rural roads through a lot of the
state. And definitely it was the case for all of the power line right of
way roads. Not an uncommon thing at all, and sadly the contamination will
outlast all of us.
--scott

Old August 18th 04, 10:25 PM
Larkin

Too much of Rush can be harmful, too.

Old August 20th 04, 01:17 AM
JimF

.
Two years ago an Italian study found death rates from leukemia
increased dramatically for residents living within two miles of
Vatican Radio's powerful array of transmitters in Rome.

Maybe the areas around transmitters are clear of trees. You get a lot more
absorption of sunlight on your body than of any AM signal, which is much
lower in frequency. Also, sunlight is a demonstrated cancer risk. Better
stay in the dark.

Old August 20th 04, 05:45 AM
Tim Perry

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Tim Perry wrote:

the Italian study: ONE transmitter, near Rome. that's a statistical
sample? you could probably prove lasagna causes baldness with those
techniques

ALL of my Italian relatives eat lasagna, and they are ALL bald. Even my
Aunt Mary. I demand a Federal grant to study this further.
--scott

maybe bald Italians cause Leukemia ?