Old March 18th 05, 04:01 AM
Richard C.

"jayembee" wrote in message
"Biz" wrote:

wrote:

At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio station
"is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio frequency.

So what I need to know now is

Does anyone know where I can buy a high-definition radio?

and how much do they cost?

Call letters of the station please?

He probably doesn't remember, but dollars to donuts he has a
recording of it on cassette tape somewhere...

-- jayembee

==============================
The HORRIBLE thing, is that dvdputz is correct for the first time.
Several Seattle stations are broadcasting in "high definition" also:

http://www.king.org/hdradio/
http://www.ibiquity.com/hdradio/
http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2...0/hdradio.html
http://www.wfuv.org/wfuv/digitalradio.html

I think his being correct, however, is just an accident.
=============================

Old April 1st 05, 01:25 AM
Jeff Rife

Richard C. ) wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
The HORRIBLE thing, is that dvdputz is correct for the first time.
Several Seattle stations are broadcasting in "high definition" also:

http://www.king.org/hdradio/

When the broadcaster doesn't know what is going on with current technology,
it doesn't bode well for new technology. A snippet from that page:

What does it mean that 98.1 KING FM is broadcasting in HD Radio=3F Technology?

For those with digital receivers, the noise and interference that cause the
static, hiss, pops, and fades heard on today's analog radios will be
virtually eliminated.

There is no static, hiss, or pops on FM radio. Fading (which includes loss
of stereo) is the only artifact of a reduced-quality FM signal.

--
Jeff Rife | "The Babylon Project was our last, best hope

Old April 3rd 05, 12:56 AM
Jeff Rife

Bill Turner ) wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
On 1 Apr 2005 00:25:22 GMT, Jeff Rife wrote:

There is no static, hiss, or pops on FM radio. Fading (which includes loss
of stereo) is the only artifact of a reduced-quality FM signal.

That statement is true only if the signal to noise ratio is high. If the
noise is strong enough, you will hear it even without fading of the FM
signal.

No, if the signal to noise ratio is that low, there *is* no usable signal
at all, and what you hear is the amplification of "nothing"...basically
the same thing you hear when you tune to a spot where no station exists.

--
Jeff Rife | "One minute we were spanking each other with

Old April 4th 05, 06:09 AM
Roderick Stewart

In article , Jeff Rife wrote:
There is no static, hiss, or pops on FM radio. Fading (which includes loss
of stereo) is the only artifact of a reduced-quality FM signal.

That statement is true only if the signal to noise ratio is high. If the
noise is strong enough, you will hear it even without fading of the FM
signal.

No, if the signal to noise ratio is that low, there *is* no usable signal
at all, and what you hear is the amplification of "nothing"...basically
the same thing you hear when you tune to a spot where no station exists.

True. If the signal fades, eventually you'll lose reception of *any* type of
radio transmission. AM, FM and digital simply die different deaths, viz-

AM - programme volume decreases and gradually disappears into noise.
FM - noise increases and gradually overwhelms programme.
Digital - nothing noticeable at all at first, then screetches and yelps and
suddenly disappears altogether.

Rod.

Old April 8th 05, 06:56 AM
Stephen Neal

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On 2 Apr 2005 23:56:43 GMT, Jeff Rife wrote:

No, if the signal to noise ratio is that low, there *is* no usable signal
at all, and what you hear is the amplification of "nothing"...basically
the same thing you hear when you tune to a spot where no station exists.

Nonsense. You obviously don't listen to weak FM signals which can be
heard, but with noise. Ham radio operators using FM do it all the time.

My disagreement here is with your original statement "There is no
static, hiss, or pops on FM radio." That statement is too broad to be
correct. There are lots of exceptions.

Yes - especially if by "FM radio" you include the standard broadcast stereo
imlementation - where the stereo difference signal gets progressively
noisier, meaning many radios include a force MONO button, as the stereo sum
(i.e. mono audio) "lasts longer" - and clear mono may be preferable to poor
stereo?

I realise this is because the difference signal is carried using additional
modulation techniques, but when talking about "FM" radio as a consumer
product, most people mean FM VHF stereo as broadcast, rather than a purely
FM modulation technique?

Steve