Old March 23rd 05, 05:30 PM
Mike Ward

On 22 Mar 2005 18:51:00 GMT, Tom Betz wrote:

And very shortly after he took over at Sirius, the few free web streams
that Sirius talent had negotiated for their hard-core fans were
unceremoniously turned off.

You know, it's no secret Mel is no fan of streaming...but I don't
really blame him in that case.

At Infinity, his strict "no streaming" policy increasingly meant that
the company seemed to be walling itself off from the growing world of
digital audio.

But at Sirius, his company is now PART of that world, and I can't
blame him for cutting off free feeds of exclusive talent, that you
can't hear anywhere else. I do believe they should stream those folks
to subscribers via their in-house streaming that already exists for
music stations on Sirius.

Old March 23rd 05, 11:09 PM
Tom Betz

Mike Ward wrote in news:d1s93d$7p$1
@xuxa.iecc.com:

But at Sirius, his company is now PART of that world, and I can't
blame him for cutting off free feeds of exclusive talent, that you
can't hear anywhere else.

Nor could I, if Sirius were to offer a web-only subscription option for
those of us for whom the available Sirius hardware remains unacceptably
inflexible.

Unfortunately, the only way to subscribe to the web stream is first to
purchase Sirius hardware, because you need the hardware's serial number.

And as a matter of principle, I'm not about to buy any hardware that
isn't at least as portable as a 1980 Sony Walkman.

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

Old March 23rd 05, 11:09 PM
Don Forsling

"roger carroll" wrote in message
Do you know or remember Detroit radio 1967-68??
Someone claimed he was earning $350,000 a year doing a morning show in
Detroit. Came from Cleveland where he was making $300.000 at the time.

Yeah, it was Joseph P. McCarthy (J. P. McCarthy on the air) on WJR. I can't
remember the years Joe moved from Detroit to Cleveland and then back again.
He the WJR morning man for many years, stayed in Cleveland just a few years,
then moved back to WJR for many more years. He died of a fairly rare form
of cancer several years ago. I have a CD that WJR produced commemorating
his career--a recording of the morning broadcast on WJR the day after his
death.

Don Forsling

"Iowa--Gateway to Those Big Rectangular States"

Old March 24th 05, 08:11 PM
Greg and Joan

"H Glazer" wrote in message
So how does streaming make bottom-line sense now when it didn't three and

half years ago, when hundreds of stations pulled their signals to avoid
having to pay additional fees to stream ads that used unionized talent?

Are
CC and Infinity scrubbing their webcasts of such ads?

Apparently so. If you listen to WBZ radio on the 'net, you hear Mayor
Menino, ads for the Red Cross, PSAs, etc.

Also, the broadcast industry ran away from the 'net, possibly fearing it,
not understanding it, or a combination of both.

Kinda like the motion picture industry - they feared television, they
feared pay TV, they feared cable TV (as did a lot of the broadcast industry
for awhile), they feared the VCR, of all things. Some of these "fads"
turned out to be their best friends, and their best hope for survival!
They were just too stupid to realize it at the time!

Old March 24th 05, 08:11 PM
Greg and Joan

Well, maybe I was a little prophetic a few years ago on this, but
it's deja vu all over again.

The broadcasting industry didn't UNDERSTAND the Internet, and no one
knew where, and in what direction it was going to go five years ago.

Some, in this group, condemned the Internet mode of broadcasting. A
fad. Technically inferior. Can't reach as many people. Blah blah blah.
A lot of absurd statements.

Now, they realize if they don't climb on board, they're going to be
left at the starter's gate (duh!)

Old March 25th 05, 03:58 PM
H Glazer

Greg and Joan wrote in message

"H Glazer" wrote in message
So how does streaming make bottom-line sense now when it didn't three

and
half years ago, when hundreds of stations pulled their signals to avoid
having to pay additional fees to stream ads that used unionized talent?

Are
CC and Infinity scrubbing their webcasts of such ads?

Apparently so. If you listen to WBZ radio on the 'net, you hear Mayor
Menino, ads for the Red Cross, PSAs, etc.

Also, the broadcast industry ran away from the 'net, possibly fearing

it,
not understanding it, or a combination of both.

OK, how does Internet streaming benefit WBZ in tangible dollars and cents?
If people in the Boston market choose to listen via the 'Net at the office,
maybe they're hearing 'BZ where they normally would not be able to, but
they're not hearing the advertising that drives the station's earnings.
People in other cities, states, countries ... how does their listening to
the Web stream matter? Yeah, I suppose Bobby in Birmingham and Rajiv in
Bombay would be more likely to listen to WBZ in their cars should they ever
move to or visit Boston, but that can't be the justification. I like
Internet radio just as much as the next guy, and I'm glad to see more
stations returning to cyberspace, but I'm still wondering how broadcasters
hope to recover the costs of streaming.

Howard

Old March 25th 05, 08:38 PM
Mark Roberts

H Glazer had written:

| OK, how does Internet streaming benefit WBZ in tangible dollars and cents?
| If people in the Boston market choose to listen via the 'Net at the office,
| maybe they're hearing 'BZ where they normally would not be able to, but
| they're not hearing the advertising that drives the station's earnings.

Data point: KCBS in San Francisco is touting its (new) stream as
giving listeners the ability to listen at the office. The audio
stream at the web site is being heavily promoted on-air.

Either the marketing department isn't communicating clearly with
the sales department, or they're laying the groundwork for what
they hope to be a new revenue stream.

--
Mark Roberts | "Never do math on television."
Oakland, Cal.| -- KTVU meteorologist Bill Martin, January 3, 2005
NO HTML MAIL |
Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.

Old March 25th 05, 08:38 PM
Garrett Wollman

In article ,
H Glazer wrote:
I link Internet radio just as much as the next guy, and I'm glad to
see more stations returning to cyberspace, but I'm still wondering
how broadcasters hope to recover the costs of streaming.

I think the logic goes something like this:

- If few people listen, then it doesn't cost very much, and we make a
few of our P1s happer because they can get the station in their
offices, which helps to build brand loyalty.

- If lots of people listen, we can sell that.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
| generation can invoke its principles in their own
Opinions not those | search for greater freedom.
of MIT or CSAIL. | - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. ___ (2003)

Old March 26th 05, 06:41 PM
H Glazer

Garrett Wollman wrote in message
In article ,
H Glazer wrote:
I link Internet radio just as much as the next guy, and I'm glad to
see more stations returning to cyberspace, but I'm still wondering
how broadcasters hope to recover the costs of streaming.

I think the logic goes something like this:

- If few people listen, then it doesn't cost very much, and we make a
few of our P1s happer because they can get the station in their
offices, which helps to build brand loyalty.

- If lots of people listen, we can sell that.

Yeah, but they'll be trying to sell that to the advertising agencies they
deal with, who know full well (I would think) that their AFTRA-talent-voiced
ads aren't being heard by any of that burgeoning number of Internet
listeners. People who listen to WBZ in the office, most likely, already
listen to WBZ in their cars. Brand loyalty has already been built. The only
really new listeners WBZ stands to gain are the out-of-market ones that
Boston-based advertisers don't care if they reach, even if the stream wasn't
scrubbed. Are Sullivan Tire, Giant Glass, or whoever, really going to pay
more because 'BZ is now being heard online by people who can't hear their

Howard