Old July 28th 05, 12:41 AM
jrjacob

Default XM Radio Wireless FM Modulator Question

I just moved to Chicago and have found that there are no longer any
decent frequencies for my wireless FM modulator (sold through XM radio)
as the modulator only allows me to use one of 8 frequencies (88 or 107
..1, .3, .5, or .7). I have since come across other FM modulators
designed for MP3 players such as the iRiver AFT 100 Mobile FM
Transmitter. Does anybody know if this or other FM modulators can be
used with XM radio? For the record, my XM radio has not been
professionally installed as my car is being leased and this is not
allowed by the terms of my lease. Also, amazingly, XM radio was
completely unable to help me with this question. Very disappointing
technical support. I'd hate to have to give up my XM radio...

Thanks!

Old July 28th 05, 10:57 PM
Art Clemons

jrjacob wrote:

I just moved to Chicago and have found that there are no longer any
decent frequencies for my wireless FM modulator (sold through XM radio)
as the modulator only allows me to use one of 8 frequencies (88 or 107
.1, .3, .5, or .7).

Having lived in Chicago, may I suggest you pick out a frequency and see
which one works best while producing a stronger signal that what is
received on the frequencies you have available. Unless your FM receiver is
subject to overload, the FM modulator should produce enough of a signal for
you to produce a big enough dB difference that the modulator signal
captures the FM receiver.

One other approach if your lease is retro enough to have a tape player is to
find one of the formerly common adapters with a plug and plug that into the
XM receiver. Most XM receivers I've seen have audio available through a
common 1/8 inch stereo jack, meaning that any matching audio technique will
work. You also may have jacks on the radio in the car which would allow a
straight audio connection.

Old July 28th 05, 10:57 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , jrjacob wrote:
I just moved to Chicago and have found that there are no longer any
decent frequencies for my wireless FM modulator (sold through XM radio)
as the modulator only allows me to use one of 8 frequencies (88 or 107
.1, .3, .5, or .7). I have since come across other FM modulators
designed for MP3 players such as the iRiver AFT 100 Mobile FM
Transmitter. Does anybody know if this or other FM modulators can be
used with XM radio? For the record, my XM radio has not been
professionally installed as my car is being leased and this is not
allowed by the terms of my lease. Also, amazingly, XM radio was
completely unable to help me with this question. Very disappointing
technical support. I'd hate to have to give up my XM radio...

Sure, any of the modulators will work. They all just take baseband audio
and have an RF output.

Before doing that, though, check and make sure that your car radio does not
have some sort of line-level audio input. A lot of them are set up
for external CD players or the like, and the XM unit can be connected into
there directly without having to deal with silliness like the modulator.
--scott

Old July 28th 05, 10:57 PM
Merlin

Does your lease have a cassette player? The cassette to Mp3 gadgets
are actually not bad.

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-tran...ansmitter.aspx

Has what you are looking for.

Old July 28th 05, 10:57 PM
fredtv

If the plug is the same it will probably work.
The 1/8-inch stereo plug is most common these days.

Old July 28th 05, 10:57 PM

Not sure if my post got through. Try having a direct inline FM
modulator installed in the vehical by Circuit City or do it yourself.
It installs directly inline to the radio antenna cable, and produces a
stronger signal like you'd need. I haven't tried this yet, but am
tempted. I also live in the Chicago area. Radio here blows, but I
love my XM. EMAIL me if you'd like. n9vu at yahoo dot com. Thanks,
GB.

Old August 10th 05, 01:02 AM
D Peter Maus

jrjacob wrote:
I just moved to Chicago and have found that there are no longer any
decent frequencies for my wireless FM modulator (sold through XM radio)
as the modulator only allows me to use one of 8 frequencies (88 or 107
.1, .3, .5, or .7). I have since come across other FM modulators
designed for MP3 players such as the iRiver AFT 100 Mobile FM
Transmitter. Does anybody know if this or other FM modulators can be
used with XM radio? For the record, my XM radio has not been
professionally installed as my car is being leased and this is not
allowed by the terms of my lease. Also, amazingly, XM radio was
completely unable to help me with this question. Very disappointing
technical support. I'd hate to have to give up my XM radio...

Thanks!

I live in the far north suburbs, and frequently have to drive through
the city to the far south. Using the FM modulator on your XM radio is a
PITA, especially in the city, where cross modulation and the plethora of
low end operator makes finding a clear channel next to impossible.

If you're using your XM antenna will as the radiator for your FM
modulator, proximity is king. The output of the XM FM is sufficient for
a good capture. This will block lesser signals, except when you're up on
them.

That makes cross modulation the bigger issue. Not much you can do
there, I"m afraid.

There are two alternatives, though, depending on your radio. One is
the cassette adaptor. This is actually better than the FM modulator in
that it produces better audio, without the noise, or other artifacts of
the FM modulator.

The other is a direct line in. On my Caravan, I set my MyFi on the
cup holder, and run the line out it to the CD changer line in. I also
use this input for my iPod. In my car, though there is a stereo mini
jack under the face of the radio for a direct aux input. Simple hookup,
clean line input, excellent results.

To paraphrase Gorman-Redlich: There is no reason to have to give up
your XM. It's "guaranteed to work, even in Chicago."

Old August 10th 05, 04:21 PM

Or hang on a few weeks and get one of these:

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/153844.html

Which supports up to 100 FM frequences, one of which will surely be
free...

Old August 10th 05, 07:49 PM
Robert J Carpenter

wrote in message
Or hang on a few weeks and get one of these:

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/153844.html

Which supports up to 100 FM frequences, one of which will surely be
free...

Maybe not everywhere within 50 miles of Chicago - or in the
midatlantic states.

Old August 11th 05, 07:24 AM
David

On 10 Aug 2005 00:02:19 GMT, D Peter Maus
wrote:

jrjacob wrote:
[...]

Jim is a little loopy in the head.