Old February 20th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Cobra 2010 loses Tx audio

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:43:12 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

+++On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:12:33 GMT, james wrote
+++in :
+++
+++On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:24:33 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:
+++
++++++Conjugate match is needed for maximum power transfer.
++++++
++++++
++++++IMPEDANCE match... for maximum power transfer. A 'conjugate' match is
++++++when the impedances are complex, which isn't always the case.
+++***********
+++
+++I have found that it is rare in the real world that impeadances are
+++not complex. Outside transimission lines, there is little that is not
+++complex.
+++
+++
+++You just said that resistors have complex impedance and transmission
+++lines are flat.
+++

************

No I did not. Besides Resistors can have complex impedances depending
upon constrtuctinand frequency in which they are used.

+++
+++ Then again when you conjugate match, the imaginary part of
+++the complex impedances is nulified and you are then left with the real
+++part.
+++
+++
+++Reactances don't just disappear. They create a current between the
+++source and load that must be assessed to see if it is going to cause
+++any problems. Sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it does.
+++
+++

***********

I did not say they disappeared. At resonance the conjugate match
causes the net reactance to be zero. Thus nulify. The reactance are
always there.

james
Old February 20th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 03:13:52 GMT, james wrote
in :

wrote:

+++On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:12:33 GMT, james wrote
+++in :
+++
+++On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:24:33 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:
+++
[...]

When a resistor is used at its intended frequency, any reactance is
insignificant. If it wasn't then it would be called an 'inductor' or
'capacitor'.

+++
+++ Then again when you conjugate match, the imaginary part of
+++the complex impedances is nulified and you are then left with the real
+++part.
+++
+++
+++Reactances don't just disappear. They create a current between the
+++source and load that must be assessed to see if it is going to cause
+++any problems. Sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it does.
+++
+++

***********

I did not say they disappeared. At resonance the conjugate match
causes the net reactance to be zero. Thus nulify. The reactance are
always there.

Notwithstanding the fact that the non-reactive component of impedance
changes at or near resonance, maximum power transfer (due to matched
impedances) occurs regardless of whether those impedances are reactive
or not. Hence "impedance match" instead of the more limited "conjugate
match". As for your assertion that non-reactive impedances are rare in
the "real world", maybe you should describe -your- "real world" and
how it differs from the rest of reality.

Old February 20th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:52:40 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

+++Notwithstanding the fact that the non-reactive component of impedance
+++changes at or near resonance, maximum power transfer (due to matched
+++impedances) occurs regardless of whether those impedances are reactive
+++or not. Hence "impedance match" instead of the more limited "conjugate
+++match". As for your assertion that non-reactive impedances are rare in
+++the "real world", maybe you should describe -your- "real world" and
+++how it differs from the rest of reality.

**********
I am not saying that the real portion of impendances are rare. I am
saying that pure resistance is but a subset of complex impedance. Pure
resistance is where the reactive part of the complex impedance is
zero. In the real world no component has a "zero" reactive component
as does it not have zero resistive part.

In conjugate matching, the nodal point where the output of the
transform network terminates with the load will have a net reactance
of zero. The real part is still there. It does not go away. The net
real part should be half that of the real part of the load.

All components have complex impedances. In cases where frequency of
operation is well below the self resonance frequency, discrete passive
components can be thought of as purely resistive or purely reactive
dending on construction of the passive part. That be whether it is a
resistor or a capacitor or inductor. Non passive components have
complex impedances.

All the above is valid only when you are dealing with time varying
signals. Complex impedance has no definition when dealing with a non
time varying signal(ie. DC).

james
Old February 20th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Feb 17, 1:59 am, "Pete KE9OA" wrote:
Another eBay special that "worked perfectly". It doesn't matter if I put in
an external audio source from an audio oscillator or a microphone. I've
tried three good microphones, and have the same problem. When I first key
the mic, Tx audio is fine, but it quickly, almost abruptly fades after about
2 seconds. Has anybody seen this problem?

Pete

It certainly could be many things... but what you describe would lead
me to replace the high power audio IC. I'm assuming that it has one...
and uses a high-level modulation scheme. I have seen these fail in the
way you have described. I believe what happens there is that the
internal die has somehow lost contact with the heat sink... and
therefor heats rapidly... sending semiconductors within the IC all
over the bias map. This IC is normally failrly cheap, available, and
is usually easy to replce. Hope that helps...

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old February 21st 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You don't think it might be caused by him not having at least 9 square feet
of ground plane?

http://www.usenet.com

Old February 21st 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:52:07 GMT, james wrote
in :

wrote:

+++Notwithstanding the fact that the non-reactive component of impedance
+++changes at or near resonance, maximum power transfer (due to matched
+++impedances) occurs regardless of whether those impedances are reactive
+++or not. Hence "impedance match" instead of the more limited "conjugate
+++match". As for your assertion that non-reactive impedances are rare in
+++the "real world", maybe you should describe -your- "real world" and
+++how it differs from the rest of reality.

**********
I am not saying that the real portion of impendances are rare. I am
saying that pure resistance is but a subset of complex impedance. Pure
resistance is where the reactive part of the complex impedance is
zero. In the real world no component has a "zero" reactive component
as does it not have zero resistive part.

Well, in my "real world" there are many components with reactances so
small as to be insignificant and are therefore ignored.

In conjugate matching, the nodal point where the output of the
transform network terminates with the load will have a net reactance
of zero. The real part is still there. It does not go away.

Okay....

The net
real part should be half that of the real part of the load.

Huh?

All components have complex impedances. In cases where frequency of
operation is well below the self resonance frequency, discrete passive
components can be thought of as purely resistive or purely reactive
dending on construction of the passive part. That be whether it is a
resistor or a capacitor or inductor.

Thank you. And I should add that it is more often the case where an
intended reactive component is measured for resistive impedance than
an intended resistive component is measured for reactive impedance.

Non passive components have
complex impedances.

Not necessarily, for the very same reasons mentioned above.

All the above is valid only when you are dealing with time varying
signals. Complex impedance has no definition when dealing with a non
time varying signal(ie. DC).

For all practical purposes, true.

But you are still ignoring the fact that a conjugate match is nothing
more than an impedance match using a conjugate impedance, which is
often not necessary. Just because some comp resistors -- or even the
wires or PCB traces -- in an audio amp or power supply may have a very
slight inductive reactance doesn't mean you waste your time trying to
load them all with sub-pF caps. That's why, here in the real world,
the term "impedance match" is used to include any necessary conjugate
match that may (or may not) be necessary, and why you don't hear the
term "resistance match" used very often (i.e, never).

Old February 21st 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:46:57 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

+++But you are still ignoring the fact that a conjugate match is nothing
+++more than an impedance match using a conjugate impedance, which is
+++often not necessary.

**********

True

Sometimes it is the easiest and cheapest method though

james
Old February 21st 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:03:02 GMT, james wrote
in :

wrote:

+++But you are still ignoring the fact that a conjugate match is nothing
+++more than an impedance match using a conjugate impedance, which is
+++often not necessary.

**********

True

Sometimes it is the easiest and cheapest method though

I tend to disagree with that, too, but I'll drop it because it could
revive the great coax length debate..... AARGGHHH!!!

Old February 22nd 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Frank Gilliland wrote:
I'll drop it because it could
revive the great coax length debate..... AARGGHHH!!!

NOoooo!
Old February 22nd 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:38:38 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

+++On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:03:02 GMT, james wrote
+++in :
+++
+++On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:46:57 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:
+++
++++++But you are still ignoring the fact that a conjugate match is nothing
++++++more than an impedance match using a conjugate impedance, which is
++++++often not necessary.
+++**********
+++
+++True
+++
+++Sometimes it is the easiest and cheapest method though
+++
+++
+++I tend to disagree with that, too, but I'll drop it because it could
+++revive the great coax length debate..... AARGGHHH!!!
+++

I use conjugate matches with active devices and crystal filters. In
that aspect they are easier and cheaper.

james