Old March 12th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Alkalines versus NiMH

My CB walkies, a couple of them use 8 AA cells, and a couple
have a dummy plug so I can run 10 NiCd.

Has anyone tried NiMH cells, instead of alkalines? Do they
perform well?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old March 13th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

I can easily belive the Energizer E2 lithiums work well. At
two dollars a battery (I can get eight cheap alkalines for
two bucks...).

Are lithium available in rechargable? Lithium ion maybe?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"kb9rqz" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 10:26 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My CB walkies, a couple of them use 8 AA cells, and a
couple
have a dummy plug so I can run 10 NiCd.

Has anyone tried NiMH cells, instead of alkalines? Do they
perform well?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

they prefrom better than nicad not as well alk but the best
I find are
the neww lithium cells

Old March 14th 10, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Christopher,

NiMH cells have relatively low voltage (1.2 Volts) as do NiCd. In that
sense, you won't develop full power on an HT. Other than that, they have a
better life than NiCads and by going to 10 rather than 8, you'll have the
voltage available that 8 alkaline batteries give you. 8 alkaline give you 8
* 1.5 Volts, or 12 volts. 10 NiMH will give you 10 * 1.2 Volts, or the same
voltage (12 Volts) as the 8 alkaline.

NiCD batteries are the same way; 10 * 1.2 volts = 12 Volts total.

That said, the NiMH cells will give you longer life than the NiCd batteries.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old March 14th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

I can easily belive the Energizer E2 lithiums work well. At
two dollars a battery (I can get eight cheap alkalines for
two bucks...).

Are lithium available in rechargable? Lithium ion maybe?

not yet they keep promising that but it is so far vaporware

I don't believe they will ever produce lithium ion AA's at 1.5 volts.
A lithium ion battery in a common or non proprietary package like the
AA package creates a dangerous situation. If one tries to charge it
in a common or non proprietary charger it may blow up.

* They do make lithium ion AA cells at 3.6 volts
Old March 14th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Yes, I know all that about the voltages. That's why I
mentioned the spacer for 8 or 10 cells. The question is
whether NiMH (which handle power surges reasonably well)
work better than alkalines (which don't do as well with
power surges such as transmitting)?

Rochester, NY is one of the few places you can ask for a
white hot dog and people know what you mean. Where you go
through the can of worms to get to work. And there is both a
subway that goes no where, and a ferry that goes no where.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
[...]

Hybrid AA NiMH Vs Regular NiMH AA Batteries: Opinions On ? Robert11 Scanner 0 November 16th 07 12:57 PM
Mixing high side versus low side and (f1 - f2) versus (f1 + f2) [email protected] Homebrew 6 July 18th 07 02:44 AM
NIMH batterys Tony Calguire Shortwave 3 July 26th 06 02:08 PM
NIMH batterys David Shortwave 1 December 1st 05 02:23 AM
FS:MOT XTS NiMh batt NOS [email protected] Swap 0 December 17th 04 01:11 AM