Old July 11th 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default new zealand cb

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 20:24:07 -0400, Scott in Baltimore
wrote:

Google Baofeng UV-5R.
I have one and it's a really cool LCR. (Little Chinese Radio)

I have decided on getting the LT-9000 and LT-UV3 (both radios are 400
to 490) and the LT-9000 is just uhf.Altho it can be programmed for vhf
(one or the other but isn't dual band)

Old July 15th 12, 04:38 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Monday, July 9, 2012 11:30:08 AM UTC-4, Channel Jumper wrote:
Twisted;793082 Wrote:
> On Jul 8, 7:07*pm, Channel Jumper
> wrote:-
> That's great if you live in New Zealand and Austrailia - but it is not
> legal for radio operators in the USA to operate on those bands - both
> from a power standpoint and because you have to have a license and
> those
> frequencies are not in the band plan for amateur radio and it is
> illegal
> to DX GMRS / FRS and LMRS frequencies.
>
> --
> Channel Jumper-
>
> The quality of the DX is great in the U.S., too. Many operate the
> freeband on frequencies just above and below the U.S. CB band with
> little problem. Run SSB and you won't require crazy power and you can
> talk to other freebanding CB'ers and ham ops all around the world.
> 27.555 USB is recognized as an international calling frequency. If one
> is worried about breaking the law, don't key the mic. It's legal to
> listen.

There is no one of any intelligence on the CB radio anymore, and it is
illegal for Amateur Radio operators to FREE BAND and or to talk to
anyone that does not possess an amateur radio license on amateur radio
bands.

Why would someone with a license even want to bother to listen to
someone that does not.
The purpose of the license is not to penalize the non hams but to
educate them as to the basic requirements of what is necessary to
operate on the amateur radio bands.
Where it is permissable to operate and where it is not, what bands and
modes are permissable and power levels allowed.

CB radio is anyone that can afford a couple of dollars for a radio and
an antenna.
Most of those people over compensates with the use of beam antenna's and
massive amounts of power.

Rule of thumb on 10 meters - a little power is great, and all the power
in the world doesnt do anything more for your signal - when the band is
open or closed.
There is only 1 MHz difference between 10 meters and 11 meters.

The other frequencies you are talking about - it is not legal for anyone
in the USA - without a license to operate on.
Get caught - and the Federal Candy Company will come a knocking on your
door..

ps: they don't do it with spotters and white vans anymore.
Now they do it with sattelites and cell phones, and if they have to send
someone any appreciateable distance, it is probably going to cost you
more then you can afford.

--
Channel Jumper

There's plenty of intelligent life out there and plenty of hams making the DX journey on CB. Just because you're unable to comprehend why hams do what they do doesn't mean others share your affliction. See https://www.facebook.com/groups/cbradiotalk/ and scroll on down to Lonnie's question posted on June 16. These are but a few examples of hams DXing and as one ham plainly puts it on the page, "We are all just radio operators." **** elitism. People like you who intentionally foster a division between ops have a name: lid. Having a ticket doesn't make any op better than another.

You're becoming redundant with mention of legality. Point taken, note made. Repeating yourself doesn't equate enforcement. However, if it's a debate you're after regarding the law as it pertains to CB, we can do that, too.

CB radio is plug and play. Liking it or disliking it is akin to liking or disliking the blue sky. It simply *is.*

I agree with your take on power. I DX'ed all over the world with 100 watts (or less)on SSB. You are initiating and resurrecting the tired, old "CB vs. ham" argument. The allure is simple. It's -much- more difficult to tag all countries (and get the DX cards to prove it) on HF DX on CB and nearby frequencies than the allocated frequencies.

Scott is correct, there is a monitoring station in Maryland but the employees are not listening for CBers (who have little to fear). IF one is a splatter monster AND the FCC receives a complaint they may or may not deem it worthy of follow up. If so, a warning letter is ALWAYS sent first giving the scofflaw a chance to clean it up. Even if the op ignores the initial warning an FCC employee MUST witness a law violation before any legal action is taken. They're not sitting around waiting to bust CBers, or even CBers talking DX, talking on 27.045 or running a hundred watts or so from your rig.

Even some of the splatter monsters can hold their own in areas some ops can't, such as in standard civility. Channel 6 is big time CB DX as it's all AM HF. While some of these guys may splatter and bleed, their mannerisms and language is better than most frequencies on CB OR amateur and you'll rarely hear even a disagreement. Many ops can take lessons on civility from these guys. You can take some lessons from the hams on the CB radio talk page. They understand we're not the conjured boogie man you need us to be and don't judge people by their preferred mode of hobby communication. Lids do that.

R. New Zealand acquamarina Shortwave 0 January 29th 05 06:51 PM
JRC NRD-545 in New Zealand... Mark McCarthy Shortwave 6 July 12th 04 08:59 PM
New Zealand-Changes N8KDV Shortwave 2 April 15th 04 06:20 PM
R New Zealand Dan Robinson Shortwave 0 April 14th 04 07:37 AM
R. New Zealand Maximus Shortwave 5 April 8th 04 03:32 AM